Annual Report 2014

Important informations about SolydXK including releases notes, forum rules and other anouncements
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Annual Report 2014

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 12 Jan 2015 19:37

Another year has passed and what way to better look back at 2014 then to write our second annual report.

The year started quiet and steady but the second half of the year was marked by internal changes. We decided to base SolydXK on Debian stable if we ever wanted to realize our mission statement and deliver a stable Debian based distribution. The work has taken its toll and I had to take a step back and we had to say goodbye to our much valued co-founder Amadeu (Zerozero).

The coming year will be marked by increasing organizational stability and organizing financial independence of SolydXK.

You can download the Annual Report 2014 here: download pdf

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

palimmo

Re: Annual Report 2014

Postby palimmo » 12 Jan 2015 20:46

Thanks.
I've never seen Italians here around. Am I the only one representing an huge 5% alone? :lol:

Apart from that, a serious question:

the team members are (or were, as reported here http://forums.solydxk.nl/memberlist.php?mode=group&g=9)
Schoelje
zerozero
grizzler
ane champenois
ScottQuier
samriggs

We all know about zerozero. But what is happened to ane champenois, ScottQuier and samriggs?
I have seen nobody of them in the last months! :(
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 13 Jan 2015 07:50

Thanks for the heads up.
Obviously, zerozero shouldn't have been in that list anymore. I just removed him.
Scott, Ane, and Sam are (hopefully) temporally busy with other things. Currently, it's just grizzler and me running daily business but luckily there are some more community members helping out.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 13 Jan 2015 13:00

Thank you for a cogent and coherent report.

martin welsh

belze

Postby belze » 13 Jan 2015 18:31

palimmo wrote: I've never seen Italians here around.
Are you sure? I have solydk installed in my laptop, in my gf's one and another box in my parents' house. How much does this count in total % of italian users?
-------

samriggs

Postby samriggs » 14 Jan 2015 00:37

palimmo wrote:Thanks.
I've never seen Italians here around. Am I the only one representing an huge 5% alone? :lol:

Apart from that, a serious question:

the team members are (or were, as reported here http://forums.solydxk.nl/memberlist.php?mode=group&g=9)
Schoelje
zerozero
grizzler
ane champenois
ScottQuier
samriggs

We all know about zerozero. But what is happened to ane champenois, ScottQuier and samriggs?
Howdy palimmo
I been out of the game for quite some time due to other stuff I have to do and family life as well, I was hoping to come back but time is still thinned out for me to much for me to do anything else then I can presently do (have to spend some time with my wife as well :D ) she's more important for me.
Maybe in some future date things will work out where I can give enough time to a project (which I had in the beginning before things changed) but so far it's a no go for me, hopefully someone else will pick up where I left off.
Sam

"Windows, the worst system for too much money, Linux, the best system for free"
SolydK 64bit SolydX 32bit
Registered Linux User #545430

ane champenois

Postby ane champenois » 26 Jan 2015 21:12

palimmo wrote: We all know about zerozero. But what is happened to ane champenois, ScottQuier and samriggs?
Palimmo,
I was a little off during a few months (personal reasons) and I now come back into the forum to help again. 8-)
They did not know it was impossible so they did it.

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 26 Jan 2015 21:43

ane champenois wrote:
palimmo wrote: We all know about zerozero. But what is happened to ane champenois, ScottQuier and samriggs?
Palimmo,
I was a little off during a few months (personal reasons) and I now come back into the forum to help again. 8-)
nice to see you back :mrgreen:
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 27 Jan 2015 19:46

Thank you for that report. I think it gives further credibility to SolydXD. Not to mention provides some very interesting facts. I will be most interested to see how those numbers change in 2015.

mkcev

Postby mkcev » 29 Jan 2015 11:46

Wouldn`t have guessed that Solydx 32-bit would lead the way in downloads. This says allot, especially for those that want to resusitate their old pcs. Nevertheless, you`re looking at a 87% increase in downloads for the 32-bit and a WHOPPING 112% increase within a year`s time for SolydX 64-bit :!:

Bright.Bright!
:ugeek:

Rocky

Postby Rocky » 29 Jan 2015 15:39

mkcev wrote:Wouldn`t have guessed that Solydx 32-bit would lead the way in downloads. This says allot, especially for those that want to resusitate their old pcs. Nevertheless, you`re looking at a 87% increase in downloads for the 32-bit and a WHOPPING 112% increase within a year`s time for SolydX 64-bit :!:
interesting points and also if you look at X downloads in total they amount to 1.4 times K downloads. I sometimes get the feeling that the distro is KDE focussed (instance X having to use Oxygen theming to keep the brand identity) and that X is the "poor relation" . Is the "tail wagging the dog " ? :D :D

Interesting figures indeed but then I suppose too much can be read into statistics sometimes :?
"All that glisters is not gold" - Shakespeare "The Merchant of Venice"

belze

Postby belze » 29 Jan 2015 15:46

i'm using solyd(x)k beacuse of kde support ;)
anyway, i can understand why for a "professional" use xfce is the preferred choice: it is known to be stable over time. This does not imply that kde is less stable in reality, but common sense often diverges from reality :mrgreen: [this is just a personal opinion, not proved by any evidence]
-------

Zill

Postby Zill » 29 Jan 2015 17:38

Rocky wrote:...I sometimes get the feeling that the distro is KDE focussed (instance X having to use Oxygen theming to keep the brand identity) and that X is the "poor relation" ...
If you look at the amount of activity on the SolydXK forums then, certainly, there is more "noise" around KDE than XFCE.

However, I suggest that this is largely due to the fact that XFCE systems generally "just work" while KDE systems are more "fragile" and therefore require more support from the developers and our community. There is a price to pay for bling! ;-)

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 29 Jan 2015 17:46

Rocky wrote:I sometimes get the feeling that the distro is KDE focussed (instance X having to use Oxygen theming to keep the brand identity) and that X is the "poor relation" . Is the "tail wagging the dog " ?
I am assuming that (without any inside knowledge, really) xfce version will be around for some time to come. However, in a recent Linux Action Show (the one where they went through the 2014 predictions and made predictions for 2015), they were saying that they think that there will be no more actual development of xfce, and just for now only bug fixes. I hope they are not correct in that assumption/prediction (even though I'm not a fan of xfce). But if that is true it means xfce just fizzled.

As for SolydXK being KDE-focussed, I don't think that will happen anytime soon. There's still SolydX in both 32-bit and 64-bit. And the distro is still called SolydXK. I don't think that'll change anytime soon. I think equal effort is being put into each version.

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 29 Jan 2015 18:16

RavenLX wrote:
Rocky wrote:... in a recent Linux Action Show (the one where they went through the 2014 predictions and made predictions for 2015), they were saying that they think that there will be no more actual development of xfce, and just for now only bug fixes. I hope they are not correct in that assumption/prediction (even though I'm not a fan of xfce). But if that is true it means xfce just fizzled.
I didn't see that episode, but from what I have seen around the net, the concern with XFCE is that they are still based on GTK2 and have not made a move yet to GTK3 or Qt. Since GTK2 is no longer maintained, the fear is that eventually other programs will stop working with XFCE unless they re-write it for Qt or GTK3. After all the horror stories I've heard about GTK3, I'd love to see them port it over to Qt. I think it would be cool to see them work with the Razor/LXDE merger. I'm not saying they all need to merge, but it would be awesome if they could all work together on the underlying structure and each build their DE on top of it. Anyway, thats off topic for here. For now XFCE is still working great and will continue to work great built on top of Jessie for at least another 2-3 years. I'm sure by then the status of XFCE will be clear. So as far as the XCFE version of SolydXK is concerned, I don't see any reason to be worried at this point. You know it will still be good for 2-3 years unless you are installing programs from outside of the Debian repos.

As far as downloads, I too was surprised that XFCE actually had more downloads than KDE. But since SoldyXK is changing its base to Debian Stable and with the concerns about XFCE, it will be interesting to see how that changes in 2015.

The numbers that surprised me most were the estimated number of users. I don't know how Schoelje extrapolated that number, but I'm not sure if that 50,000 is accurate. Thats more than the number of downloads for 2015. But less than 2014+2015. So it might be accurate. I just didn't think there were that many users. If only every users could donate $1 every year, then I bet Schoelje could do this full time.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 29 Jan 2015 19:14

It might be that some download the iso and also then share it with others which means for one download there could be more than one user. Maybe some share it with 5 or 10 co-workers in a company.

ane champenois

Postby ane champenois » 30 Jan 2015 09:34

About XFCE and its development, I suppose that because its maturity, the goal is already there...so it's sloooowly done ;) and GTK 3 port of xfce seems quite complex...
I suppose that SolydX is more and more downloaded because you don't have so much distros with Debain and Xfce on the market. Xfce isn't sexy and new every two months, and doesn't attract so much distro maintainers, instead of Kde, Mate,Lxqt and even Gnome witch all had new during 2014.
My two cents... :D
They did not know it was impossible so they did it.

Return to “News & Anouncements”