Best kernel for amd64 laptop

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
Litux1516

Best kernel for amd64 laptop

Postby Litux1516 » 02 Jan 2014 17:20

Hello:

I have a Toshiba Satellite P850 and I would like to use a kernel that is fine tuned for power consumption and hibernate/sleep features.

Regards
Laptop Toshiba Satellite P850-30W
Quad core Intel Core i7-3610QM @ 2.9GHz - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD Vertex 4
Card-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
Card-2: NVIDIA GK107M [GeForce GT 640M]
SolydK 64 Production

wisemagic

Re: Best kernel for amd64 laptop

Postby wisemagic » 05 Jan 2014 03:35

Hi,

I think you will find that the newest kernels have the most support for the majority of hardware.
On the other hand, there is a lot of support for old, ( even ancient hardware ), that ships with a stock kernel.

You probably will not find a "fined tuned" kernel anywhere that will meet your system specs.

I don't know your experience level, but configuring, tuning, and compiling your own kernel is just about the only way to do this.

It may sound scary, but it is not that hard to do. Maybe you could experiment a little with a VirtualBox installation, until you feel comfortable enough to do it on your live system.

This is a pretty good guide to most every setting in the kernel.
http://www.linux.org/threads/the-linux- ... rt-1.4274/

You can get the latest source here
https://www.kernel.org/

And this page gives you an example of what you will need to do to set up your environment to compile, with all the commands you'll need to build a new kernel. (they use Kernel 3.8.x as an example.)

http://verahill.blogspot.com/2013/02/34 ... ebian.html

Hope this helps. :D
E5-2690 Xeon - 16GB PC12800 DDR3 1600 Quad Channel -
Chinese HUANAN MB - GeForce GTX 960 4GB PCI Express 16X HDMI
Dual 480.0 GB SSD Corsair - Corsair H60 Liquid CPU Cooler - Blu-ray / DVD LightScribe Recorder
Debian Sid - Kernel 4.17.2-zen

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 05 Jan 2014 13:44

This is another decent page. I worked with compiling 3.12.xxxxx most of yesterday. Got it to compile but never got the memory foot print to be smaller than the one that came stock. Tried again with 3.11.8 (which is that is downloaded from the repos when you "apt-get install linux-source") and even that had a footprint that was about 10M larger than the stock.

In the guide pointed to by wisemagic - be sure to read well the first three or four paragraphs of Part 1. There's lots of good info there to make life much easier.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Litux1516

Postby Litux1516 » 05 Jan 2014 19:01

Thanks,

I remember the times where we compiled kernels just for fun :) And I also remember the times of Debian Potato jejeje. May be you think, this guy is older than Linus itself, but not.

My main point is that today there are a lot of sites that provides different flavors of kernels (I'm using kernels from Liquorix http://liquorix.net/), but so far I couldn't find a place that focus on notebooks/laptops. This kind of computers are always looking for the best relation power consumption/power calculation.

Finally, I totally agree with you, the best kernel that you can have is the one that you produce by your own.

Regards
Laptop Toshiba Satellite P850-30W
Quad core Intel Core i7-3610QM @ 2.9GHz - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD Vertex 4
Card-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
Card-2: NVIDIA GK107M [GeForce GT 640M]
SolydK 64 Production

Return to “Newbie Questions”