easy switch from solydx to solydk

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
phazon1

easy switch from solydx to solydk

Postby phazon1 » 07 Jun 2015 22:23

Does anyone know a way to switch from solydx to solydk dsk top without a full installation.

I am familiar with ubuntu "apt-get install kubuntu-desktop" which gets you from xfce to KDE, so I am wondering if there is a similar trick in solydx?

Thanks much

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: easy switch from solydx to solydk

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 08 Jun 2015 05:36

Not really. There is no meta package to make the switch (replace Xfce with KDE). Of course, you can manually install KDE (install kde-standard or possibly kde-baseapps), install any solydk packages and remove Xfce. However, it was never intended that way and I don't think it's worth the effort.

I'd recommend to save your /home directory if you haven't installed it on a separate partition and do a clean install of SolydK.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 08 Jun 2015 06:10

the meta package to switch between solydx to solydk didn't exist but the meta for xfce and kde did exist. the meta package for xfce is "xfce4" and the "xfce4-goodies" while kde have several meta packages. i only remember kde4-full for the complete kde but minimal and other kde installation also exist. you can check the package list by

Code: Select all

aptitude search kde |grep meta 

note: the theme used will be a vanilla kde and might differ with the one used in solydk. you'll need to costumize it to make it looks like solydk

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 08 Jun 2015 10:02

You'll also need to replace solydx-system-adjustments with solydk-system-adjustments.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

Snap

Postby Snap » 09 Jun 2015 06:22

It's not too difficult to install a new desktop, just follow the tips above. But it depends on your goal. If you plan a full replacement, fully purging xfce is easy. but you'll leave plenty of GTK and Gnome stuff behind while getting all the Qt stuff in too. If that doesn't annoy you then you'll be fine. If not you'll spend a good lot of time pinpointing what to leave and what to remove. Anyway mixing them together is not that bad. In fact my favorite way to go. In the Terabites HD era, I wouldn't call it bloat anymore. With limited resources I always consider it, but when having plenty of disk space I prefer to call mixing toolkits; the best of both worlds.

I use to mix xfce and kde in many virtual machines running different distros and also use to figure out and test configurations for friends and family aged PCs creeping under heavy windows installs. Some distros make it harder than others. SolydXK is amongst the easiest ones to get a good result in my experience. There are a few bits of xfce that I always want to avoid. One is Thunar and the other one xfwm (though it improved hugely in the last xfce version still is a so so window manager IMHO). Most window managers perform better. About file managers Dolphin is a must have in any of my systems. The only alternative I consider when I want to go lighter but still having great versatility is SpaceFM. No other file managers do it for me. What I typically do is plasma-less KDE (yes, it makes sense) or enhanced Xfce installs.

If you want to mix them up I can give you some tips. Just ask.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

phazon1

Postby phazon1 » 21 Jun 2015 00:11

Thanks to all for your replays. Good stuff. I will consider these suggestions before I decide whether to just do a full install....

Much appreciated

Return to “Newbie Questions”