[SOLVED] KDE5

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
mhoude

[SOLVED] KDE5

Postby mhoude » 18 Feb 2016 19:50

Hi,

I just switched from an Arch based install to SolydK because as of today I cannot stand Plasma 5.

So my question is when the new Debian stable will be out, will my current SolydK will be upgraded automatically ?

and if it's the case will there be a way to prevent it ?

Thanks in advance

Edit: I just looked at my sources.list and answered my own question :oops:

Fargo

Re: [SOLVED] KDE5

Postby Fargo » 19 Feb 2016 21:57

Welcome to SolydXK. You've found a great distro and community. It sounds like you found your answer already. But I'll chime in anyway. I assume you are using the normal SolydXK and not the Enthusiast Edition. In the case of the normal production version, it is based on the current Debian Stable (Jessie). So no, it will not update automatically. I expect Jessie will be the main Debian release for a good 2 years yet. At that time, you will have the option to update to the newest Stable. I believe that Jessie will also get LTS treatment for another 2 years after that. So if you really don't like KDE5 you should be good right where you are for the next 4+/- years.

Could you please elaborate on why you don't like KDE5? I thought it looked nice and it supposed to be more streamlined and efficient. But I I have heard there are still bugs in it.

mhoude

Postby mhoude » 19 Feb 2016 22:37

Hi,

Thanks for the answer

I tried KDE5 and it doesn't render task panel icons properly on many applications, hence my return to KDE4.

Anyway I planned to install debian Jessie instead of SolydK because I can't make my bumblebee setup working, when starting nvidia-settings it says that nvidia is not installed which it is btw so I'm pretty stuck here.

But thanks, it looks like a solid distro.

just

Postby just » 20 Feb 2016 04:02

mhoude wrote:...when starting nvidia-settings it says that nvidia is not installed which it is...
Read this.

mhoude

Postby mhoude » 20 Feb 2016 22:56

Hi,

Thanks for the answer

I tried pretty much everything in this post.

I don`t even have an Nvidia X server Settings option in KDE.

ddm -i fixbumblebee doesn`t fix the issue

don`t know what to do next

Reinstall everything from scratch maybe and try it again...

Return to “Newbie Questions”