Display issue with themes

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
mattymanx

Display issue with themes

Postby mattymanx » 29 Jan 2020 23:04

Hey,

SolydX 9 (201902)

I hope someone can point me in the right direction as how to solve this, even if it means editing files by hand. I have downloaded multiple themes from XFCE-Look.org and installed them to the usr//bin/share/themes/ folder. Some of the themes work perfectly fine without issue. There are other themes however that cause my panel icons, launchers, trash, ect... to greatly reduce in size and the text on the window buttons and clock are cut off as well. It also causes my text spacing in the menus to be much greater. In the two examples, you can see both issues and which theme is which. The panel size in both is 20 pixels. I would like to have it smaller but then the icons just become little colored dots. I have tested these in SolydX 10 (201909) installed on a VM and got the same results. Thank you very much to all who can help!
Screenshot_2020-01-29_17-32-47.png
Screenshot_2020-01-29_17-33-04.png

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Display issue with themes

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 30 Jan 2020 07:36

I recommend to use a theme that actually works. Editing themes takes a lot of effort, even if you know how to code CSS.

If you are still interested you can find all installed themes in /usr/share/themes/
You will need to adjust both gtk2 and gtk3 themes which you can find in the theme's sub-directories.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ilu

Postby ilu » 30 Jan 2020 22:00

The settings under the first tab of "Appearances" and "Window Management" (that might not be the correct translation, look for something similar) need to fit together and they usually don't if they are not from the same theme developer. You'll have to edit both. If you look at SolydX standard settings you can figure out what you need to change. But be warned, it's A LOT OF work. every single change has to be tested to see how things interact. It's fun though ...

XFCE is based on Gnome and Gnome developers think only their standard theme Adwaita should work. They are not fond of people styling things. Don't even bother trying to adjust anything in Adwaita. XFCE people tried to make styling easier but it's still complicated. I decided to stick to breeze and to just adapt some colors (I'm on X but I can't stand orange) and the title bar. I remember having changed the size too. Actually, the title bar might be an improvement for everybody, what do you think?
titlebar.png
titlebar.png (1.81 KiB) Viewed 2172 times
(on every workspace) (rollup/down) (minimize) (maximize) (close)
I'm using the circle quite a lot because I have 2 displays.

mattymanx

Postby mattymanx » 31 Jan 2020 22:32

Thank you both for your reply. In the end i decided to take Arjen's advice as soon as I found "Numix Black Steel" as it works flawlessly. Maybe next time I will try it the hard way.

Return to “Newbie Questions”