Greybird-Solydx/Desktop Icon Label Text Color

Questions specific to the Xfce DE go here
fleabus

Greybird-Solydx/Desktop Icon Label Text Color

Postby fleabus » 17 Feb 2015 07:31

I use a black desktop background. So: Back in the Oxygen days, I used the following .gtkrc-xfce to achieve a light color for the desktop icon label text:

Code: Select all

style "xfdesktop-icon-view" {
    XfdesktopIconView::label-alpha = 0

fg[NORMAL] = "#AAAAAA"
    fg[SELECTED] = "#000000"
    fg[ACTIVE] = "#000000"
}
widget_class "*XfdesktopIconView*" style "xfdesktop-icon-view"
Unfortunately, with Greybird-Solydx, I lost my light text color under those desktop icons, and after beating up on Google for a few days I'm stumped. :? Can't seem to find a way to get it back without changing themes. Does anyone know of a way to get the light coloring back for the desktop icon labels in Greybird-Solydx? I'll send along a case of beer, even if you live in Alaska.. :D ;)

Snap

Re: Greybird-Solydx/Desktop Icon Label Text Color

Postby Snap » 17 Feb 2015 07:55

I changed the colors in both the gtkrc (gtk-2.0) & gtk.css (gtk-3.0) files inside the theme. This should affect xfce since the basic colors it uses are defined there. For notifications there should be these two folders for xfce-notifyd with their specific gtkrc files inside them: xfce-notify-4.0_bright and xfce-notify-4.0.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Snap

Postby Snap » 17 Feb 2015 08:01

BTW, for a dark greybird variation you might like this one:

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=31510

Nice, but too dark for me except for late night computing.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 17 Feb 2015 08:05

Thanks Snap, that should send me off sniffing in the right direction for a change! 8-) :)

Yeah, I guess I got to like the black background back in the Crunchbang days. I was sorry to see the development come to a halt. Apparently the forum will live on, and I bet there will be a lot of #!die-hards! ;)

I like the background black, I like the way it provides contrast for the rest of the stuff on the desktop, but I also don't like to go too dark on the theme itself.. On my phone I use a black wallpaper with white lettering in the ebook reading software. This enables me to see the text very well without turning up the brightness very high, saving the battery even in bright sunlight. My kids think it's the most boring thing they've ever seen... :lol:

Snap

Postby Snap » 17 Feb 2015 08:12

Yes, there are several attempts running right now. It will not be a distro the usual way anymore. Just a bunch of scripts and a few packages to build it from Debian. It sounds nice to me. The community will keep it going. That's good.

Snap

Postby Snap » 17 Feb 2015 08:23

I like the background black, I like the way it provides contrast for the rest of the stuff on the desktop, but I also don't like to go too dark on the theme itself.. On my phone I use a black wallpaper with white lettering in the ebook reading software. This enables me to see the text very well without turning up the brightness very high, saving the battery even in bright sunlight. My kids think it's the most boring thing they've ever seen...
I do more or less the same. Not black but rather dark backgrounds, though sometimes I use BW pictures. And a not too dark theme. I typically set a light and dark theming with different wallpapers for day and night, but in the end I hardly ever switch them, lazy guy. :mrgreen:

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 17 Feb 2015 10:21

Snap wrote:....I typically set a light and dark theming with different wallpapers for day and night, but in the end I hardly ever switch them, lazy guy.
Aargh, Me too, especially where theming is concerned. Whenever I get involved with theming I'm likely to spend a week fooling with it...

I found the setting, in the gtkrc file, located at: /usr/share/themes/greybird-solydx/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
In case anyone else bumps into this issue --
In the middle of Line 7, changed "nselected_fg_color:" from the default #000000 to #AAAAAA
# Author: Arjen Balfoort
# Theme: SolydX Greybird
# based on "Greybird" by Simon Steinbeiß and Pasi Lallinaho
# Description: As is the original theme, this theme is 100% free and open source.

gtk-color-scheme = "bg_color:#E0E0E0\nselected_bg_color:#F9AE66\nbase_color:#FFFFFF" # Background, base.
gtk-color-scheme = "fg_color:#3C3C3C\nselected_fg_color:#AAAAAA\ntext_color:#212121" # Foreground, text.
.... Logged out and back in, and the desktop icon label text is back to my long lost light gray, which I can see on my must-have-black desktop. 8-) ;)

Snap

Postby Snap » 17 Feb 2015 15:44

That will change GKT2 only. If you want to extend it to GTK3 you need to do the same for the gtk.css into the gtk-3.0 folder.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 17 Feb 2015 17:13

I've been hunting all afternoon for the proper setting in that file... Greybird is ignoring my settings whenever I switch back to Greybird-Solydx because it's gtk3... :lol:

I give up, cry uncle, where is it? :cry: :?

Snap

Postby Snap » 17 Feb 2015 18:09

/usr/share/themes/greybird-solydx/gtk-3.0/gtk.css

Change the colors to something like this:

/* default color scheme */
@define-color bg_color #E0E0E0;
@define-color fg_color #3C3C3C;
@define-color base_color #FFFFFF;
@define-color text_color #212121;
@define-color selected_bg_color #ABABAB;
@define-color selected_fg_color #000000;
@define-color tooltip_bg_color #303030;
@define-color tooltip_fg_color #E1E1E1;
It's a nice idea keeping the original theme. Make a copy of it with your favorite name "greybird-fleabus" and tweak it to fit your taste, or make different versions to compare... or just to keep them all. Don't forget to edit the index.theme file if you want to change the icons or whatever.

Lxappearance cannot change the color schemes without lxsession. It should be installed for this purpose or grabbing the special lxappearance package from antix wich get it working. Anyway it will only affect GTK2 themes. It does weird things with GTK3 themes. The same for the gtk-theme-config tool. It does really weird things. I prefer to keep editing the themes themselves and making my custom versions.

Hope this helps.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 17 Feb 2015 18:28

Snap wrote:It's a nice idea keeping the original theme. Make a copy of it with your favorite name "greybird-fleabus" and tweak it to fit your taste or make different versions to compare or just to keep them.
Yes, I already did that, I chose the "Curve" window decoration because I like the narrow, dark blue titlebar -- I absolutely suck at this theming stuff! I never bothered to learn anything about it, and usually just kept the defaults and never tweaked any of it. Now I'm starting to see how theming issues and toolkits can really throw monkey wrenches into things -- I need to take some time out here, and learn how they're put together.

Thanks for pointing that out... of course it's right there at the top of the file ... :lol: There are so many settings in that file! Some of them seem to repeat themselves over and over for different parts of the thing, and I was becoming throrouhly confused. I'll experiment with it -- Here comes that week of theming-burial I was telling you about.. :oops: ;)
Snap wrote:Don't forget to edit the index.theme file if you want to change the icons or whatever.

Lxappearance cannot change the color schemes without lxsession. It should be installed for this purpose or grabbing the special lxappearance package from antix wich get it working. Anyway it will only affect GTK2 themes. It does weird things with GTK3 themes. I prefer to keep editing the themes themselves and making my custom versions.
Thank you for this, and yes, it does seem like the only way to go is to sit down and learn the structure of themes well enough to make your own. Now I know why the developers seem to be screaming and tearing out their hair every time GTK gets updated, all too quickly, again...

I've also started reading the XFCE-look forums. AND to top it all off, my trusty Samsung 27" monitor just died! Oh well. Snowstorm, cabin fever, and I gotta buy a monitor. Schyttski. :evil: :o

Snap

Postby Snap » 17 Feb 2015 18:35

Now I know why the developers seem to be screaming and tearing out their hair every time GTK gets updated, all too quickly
Not for GTK2, but GTK3 usually breaks themes every update. A real mess. Now we are moving to stable GTK should be updated way less. Less breakages.
AND to top it all off, my trusty Samsung 27" monitor just died! Oh well. Snowstorm, cabin fever, and I gotta buy a monitor. Schyttski.
Ooops... So sorry.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 17 Feb 2015 19:50

Don't forget to divert the files you want to change before you change them. If there is an update on solydx/k-system-adjustments they will be overwritten.
E.g.:

sudo dpkg-divert --add --rename --divert /usr/share/themes/greybird-solydk-gtk3/gtk-3.0/gtk.css.divert /usr/share/themes/greybird-solydk-gtk3/gtk-3.0/gtk.css

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 18 Feb 2015 02:29

Schoelje wrote:Don't forget to divert the files you want to change before you change them.
Thanks Schoelje, of course I would have completely forgotten that... :ugeek: ;)

Snap

Postby Snap » 18 Feb 2015 04:11

I didn't forgot it... just had no idea. :lol: Thanks, Schoelje.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 18 Feb 2015 05:49

Hmmm, this could be a good one for the wiki?

SolydXK needs you!

Snap

Postby Snap » 18 Feb 2015 06:28

Sure.

nbi

Postby nbi » 08 Dec 2016 19:57

It's far worse than just colors. I never selected greybird-solydx, but somehow during the course of upgrading packages it was selected for me without letting me know - that should *never* happen (usually the user is queried on keeping existing settings). So suddenly app windows were no longer rendered properly. The synaptic window had it's drop downs and vertical overlay scrollbar missing! pavucontrol had similar issues and was missing the sound volume graphics.

So I explicitly selected Curve and Clearlook and voila problem solved. Someone needs to investigate how greybird-solydx is munging up the system. Thanks.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 09 Dec 2016 06:33

nbi wrote:It's far worse than just colors. I never selected greybird-solydx, but somehow during the course of upgrading packages it was selected for me without letting me know - that should *never* happen (usually the user is queried on keeping existing settings). So suddenly app windows were no longer rendered properly. The synaptic window had it's drop downs and vertical overlay scrollbar missing! pavucontrol had similar issues and was missing the sound volume graphics.

So I explicitly selected Curve and Clearlook and voila problem solved. Someone needs to investigate how greybird-solydx is munging up the system. Thanks.
It took me some time to find the appropriate words to respond to this. SolydXK is a community effort which means that everybody, including myself, contributing to SolydXK does so voluntarily in his or her spare time. This said, everybody is free to contribute whatever they can and are willing to do at the time they want and it is considered rude to demand a solution from those people if you are not satisfied with (a part) of the OS.

SolydXK needs you!

Zill

Postby Zill » 09 Dec 2016 10:54

^ +1
nbi wrote:... Someone needs to investigate how greybird-solydx is munging up the system.
May I respectfully suggest that this "someone" could be you? From the old, but still very relevant, document "Linux is Not Windows"...
Problem #3: Culture shock

The biggest cause of friction tends to be in the online interactions: A "3a" user new to Linux asks for help with a problem he's having. When he doesn't get that help at what he considers an acceptable rate, he starts complaining and demanding more help. Because that's what he's used to doing with paid-for tech support. The problem is that this isn't paid-for support. This is a bunch of volunteers who are willing to help people with problems out of the goodness of their hearts. The new user has no right to demand anything from them, any more than somebody collecting for charity can demand larger donations from contributors.

Simply remember that you haven't paid the developer who wrote the software or the people online who provide the tech support. They don't owe you anything.

Return to “Xfce specific (SolydX)”