[SOLVED] Today's update causing problems (Firefox)

Questions specific to the KDE DE go here
Snap

[SOLVED] Today's update causing problems (Firefox)

Postby Snap » 16 Aug 2015 10:10

Anyone else having problems with the last upgrade? I've did it this morning and borked my KDE... it seems kwin is not working any good now. Tried many reboots. No difference.

Also the new Firefox 40.0.2 works like crap. Amongst other visual or displaying issues I see, the bookmarks window freezes and doesn't work. That annoys me so much since I use to pop and switch to that window all the time via Kwin, of course.... What a bad sunday morning... :evil:
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Snap

Re: Today's update causing problems

Postby Snap » 16 Aug 2015 10:29

It's Firefox!!! Firefox is borking Kwin.

I live with FF on. It's the very first thing I do after every boot. I've run killall firefox and tried for a while without it and Kwin goes back to normal. I'm typing from a virtual machine right now. Go figure! So apt-get purge --remove firefox* will be my next command.

Snap

Re: Today's update causing problems (Firefox)

Postby Snap » 16 Aug 2015 10:55

Now that's weird... Purged FF40 and installed the ESR version. Same problem. Renamed my ~/.mozilla folder to create a fresh new one beyond making a new profile. Everything new... It just freezes! And keeps borking kwin....

Anyone else having these problems? I wouldn't like to switch to chromium. Never liked it or got used to it. Will give a go to iceweasel without too much hope.

ray

Postby ray » 16 Aug 2015 11:13

Try using Palemoon instead of Firefox, no problems on my Solydx system.

Ray

Snap

Postby Snap » 16 Aug 2015 11:14

Well, Iceweasel 38.0.2 did it. With my old .mozilla folder (with tons of stuff in) or a fresh new one. No difference. but Kwin still fells slow with the weasel running. My system is not weak or old and the CPU and RAM usage are low and normal. Checked the processes running and I don't see anything wrong.

Will try a different kind of browser and compare. This is certainly weird. For the sake of comparison an the virtual machines I've checked (running on top of this very same host system) having KDE and Firefox/Iceweasel, the browser flies and kwin too, while the host Kwin goes slow and somewhat unresponsive if the browser is running.... Don't know what's going on. :roll:

Downloading vivaldi...

Snap

Postby Snap » 16 Aug 2015 11:17

ray wrote:Try using Palemoon instead of Firefox, no problems on my Solydx system.

Ray
Will try that one too. Thanks for the reminder. I haven't checked palemoon in a very long while.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 16 Aug 2015 12:34

Can't say I had that problem.
What if you run FF as root:

Code: Select all

kdesudo firefox
Does it crash?
Does it show any (non-Glib) errors?

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Snap

Postby Snap » 16 Aug 2015 14:09

Being fully checking Palemoon and Vivaldi. No way. Back to iceweasel. Aside of that, kwin goes slower than usual starting after this morning upgrade and besides the different browsers, excepting FF. It doesn't even work right.
Does it crash?
Does it show any (non-Glib) errors?
Thanks, Schoelje. I'll install FF and try your suggestion. Anyway, browser fun aside, something is still wrong might be the new virtualbox... I'll have to check that too.

Snap

Postby Snap » 16 Aug 2015 14:48

ok, gksudo firefox retuns nothing. No errors. just goes. But from the user here's the oputput:

firefox

(process:9931): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed

(firefox:9931): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: /home/paco/.local/share/applications/defaults.list contains a [Added Associations] group, but it is not permitted here.  Only the non-desktop-specific mimeapps.list file may add or remove associations.
console.error: random-agent-spoofer: 
  Message: Module `sdk/widget` is not found at resource://gre/modules/commonjs/sdk/widget.js
  Stack:
    CuddlefishLoader/options<.load@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/sdk/loader/cuddlefish.js:79:18
@resource://jid1-avgcef1zovzmja-at-jetpack/random-agent-spoofer/lib/Widget.js:1:14
CuddlefishLoader/options<.load@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/sdk/loader/cuddlefish.js:79:18
@resource://jid1-avgcef1zovzmja-at-jetpack/random-agent-spoofer/lib/Ras.js:1:14
@resource://jid1-avgcef1zovzmja-at-jetpack/random-agent-spoofer/lib/Panel.js:3:11
@resource://jid1-avgcef1zovzmja-at-jetpack/random-agent-spoofer/lib/main.js:1:1
run@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/sdk/addon/runner.js:145:19
startup/</<@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/sdk/addon/runner.js:86:7
Handler.prototype.process@resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:867:23
this.PromiseWalker.walkerLoop@resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:746:7
this.PromiseWalker.scheduleWalkerLoop/<@resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:688:37

console.error: random-agent-spoofer: 
  Message: Module `sdk/widget` is not found at resource://gre/modules/commonjs/sdk/widget.js
  Stack:
@resource://jid1-avgcef1zovzmja-at-jetpack/random-agent-spoofer/lib/Widget.js:1:14
@resource://jid1-avgcef1zovzmja-at-jetpack/random-agent-spoofer/lib/Ras.js:1:14
@resource://jid1-avgcef1zovzmja-at-jetpack/random-agent-spoofer/lib/Panel.js:3:11
@resource://jid1-avgcef1zovzmja-at-jetpack/random-agent-spoofer/lib/main.js:1:1
run@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/sdk/addon/runner.js:145:19
startup/</<@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/sdk/addon/runner.js:86:7
Handler.prototype.process@resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:867:23
this.PromiseWalker.walkerLoop@resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:746:7
this.PromiseWalker.scheduleWalkerLoop/<@resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:688:37
Then it freezes forever. So it's clear somethings wrong, but with a freshly created ~/.mozilla folder it only outputs this error:

firefox

(process:10764): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed

(firefox:10764): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: /home/paco/.local/share/applications/defaults.list contains a [Added Associations] group, but it is not permitted here.  Only the non-desktop-specific mimeapps.list file may add or remove associations.

And doesn't freeze.

Aside of that virtualbox is behaving funny too. It's seems the responsible of slowing down kwin for some reason. Untill yesterday I was running almost permanently FF, thunderbird, dolphin, kate and one or two virtual machines all at once. constantly switching desktops was instant. Zero problems. All fast and good. Now it takes a good while to respond to the desktops and apps switchings. Updated FF and Virtualbox and this creeps desperately slow.

Snap

Postby Snap » 16 Aug 2015 14:58

First I will install Iceweasel again (phew...) and save all my bookmarks. At least it doesn't crash. Then back to FF with a fresh profile and let's see if the first error persists.

Snap

Postby Snap » 16 Aug 2015 15:16

All saved and back to FF40. Fresh brand new session in its defaults. Still nothing imported or installed. These are the errors now:

firefox

(process:13473): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed

(firefox:13473): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: /home/paco/.local/share/applications/defaults.list contains a [Added Associations] group, but it is not permitted here.  Only the non-desktop-specific mimeapps.list file may add or remove associations.

kdesudo firefox

(process:13717): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
Any ideas on how to proceed now?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 16 Aug 2015 15:26

You can ignore the Glib errors. I have them too and FF still works perfectly.
You can try to purge firefox-solydxk-adjustments and check that no add-on is enabled.

SolydXK needs you!

Snap

Postby Snap » 16 Aug 2015 16:44

Thanks, Schoelje. Then I will import the bookmarks and install a few addons. Hope it all works fine now. Then will be time to try to find what's going wrong with Vbox. Launching it from a terminal reports nothing at all... But switching things still feels slow. :roll:

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 16 Aug 2015 17:07

I've been running the latest nightly build with the latest FF in VB and had no issues at all.
I'm sorry, but I really don't know how to solve your problem :cry:

SolydXK needs you!

Deleted User 1322

Postby Deleted User 1322 » 16 Aug 2015 21:54

firefox

(process:13473): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed

(firefox:13473): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: /home/paco/.local/share/applications/defaults.list contains a [Added Associations] group, but it is not permitted here. Only the non-desktop-specific mimeapps.list file may add or remove associations.
I think, the red-colored line maybe tells you the actual situation.

After an update in my Linux Mint17 I had a strange problem, too. In the terminal I've got similar "problems". After the update FF 40 was starting with a complete white desktop and without any menue and status bar. I renamed ".mozilla" and FF 40 was starting without any problems. Then I made my settings very fresh - not from any backup.

And then I remember a setting in the configuration of firefox long time ago: Since Version 29 Firefox was surprising me with a black URL-bar. All adresses given in where not readable since then. While searching in the internet I found a "trick": Changing the parameter "gfx.xrender.enabled" from "true" to "false". And suddenly the URL-bar was readable again.

Well, after the update to FF 40 I made the same change again - and FF was starting with a white desktop again. I changed the parameter in the "prefs.js"-file to "true" and FF 40 was working very properly again.

So therefore:
If you've changed the same parameter, please set

gfx.xrender.enabled
to

true
again.

Maybe your problem can be solved with this step.

The black URL-bar is proper readable with annother FF-theme, e. g. "FXChrome", which can be installed as an add-on.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 17 Aug 2015 06:09

The GLib error has been around for several years:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=672671
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=833117

Every single system running Firefox or Thunderbird will show it, but only some experience problems. The Mozilla developers seem to think it never actually causes problems but just obfuscates the real cause.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

Snap

Postby Snap » 17 Aug 2015 06:16

I discovered what caused my troubles. Something similar to what Hubsi_Gberg described above. I added my usual about:config tricks. Something I've been using for years:

privacy.trackingprotection.enabled true
mousewheel.with_control.action    0
browser.search.openintab   true
network.http.pipelining     true
layers.offmainthreadcomposition.enabled true
layers.acceleration.force-enabled true
html5 support:
media.mediasource.enabled 		true
media.mediasource.mp4.enabled 		true
media.mediasource.webm.enabled 		true
media.fragmented-mp4.exposed 		true
media.fragmented-mp4.ffmpeg.enabled 	true
media.fragmented-mp4.gmp.enabled	true
media.fragmented-mp4.use-blank-decoder	false
Well, one of these two lines (or both), intended to speed up the pages rendering, seems to not be supported anymore and make the Fox crash

network.http.pipelining     true
layers.offmainthreadcomposition.enabled true
Once it crashed and no longer launched I had to go to the prefs.js file and editing them.

Deleted User 1322

Postby Deleted User 1322 » 17 Aug 2015 16:16

grizzler wrote:The GLib error has been around for several years:
Every single system running Firefox or Thunderbird will show it, but only some experience problems. The Mozilla developers seem to think it never actually causes problems but just obfuscates the real cause.
That's very right. Actually Firefox is still starting with this "error line" in terminal. But exactly this information made me distrustful and helped me to remember the change I've done a long time ago. And the "new" face of Firefox with the black URL-bar.

These are the informations Firefox gave me after the white desktop:
ubert@hubert-OptiPlex-170L ~ $ firefox

(process:2367): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed

(firefox:2367): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::sm-connect after class was initialised

(firefox:2367): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::show-crash-dialog after class was initialised

(firefox:2367): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::display after class was initialised

(firefox:2367): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::default-icon after class was initialised
Fortunately I was able to remember the real reason and to change the right parameter. But not every user is able to recall the changes he has made many months before. I think, it's a very strange behaviour of Mozilla/Maintainers to ignore such little "mistakes", which can cause a lot of different troubles - as we have seen right now in this thread. Why any user is forced to search for any way to change parameters behind the desktop of firefox at all? In such a case a Newbie maybe is encouraged to move back to other operating systems, saying "linux (or SolydXK, or Mint, or Ubuntu and so on...) isn't able to work as proper as my old operating system".

@Snap
Good news when your OS is working very proper now !!

Snap

Re: [SOLVED] Today's update causing problems (Firefox)

Postby Snap » 18 Aug 2015 04:33

Yes, total relief!

if something gets borked but the browsed still runs you can check the settings in about:config rather easily. Everyting that it's not a default is in bold text. You can check what's the parameter that is causing problems. When it crashes you need to go to manually scan and edit the prefs.js file. Thankfully I had my tweaks list on hand.

Know what? I'm not very happy with the direction Firefox is taking lately. Lots of crap added over and over again that they call features and tools. I was not comfortable seen all that brand new stuff in the FF40 so I finally re-installed Iceweasel 38 again. Though a few steps behind and a notch more crap free. IIRC the Iceweasel 41 I have in Vsido doesn't havbe those new features, or never noticed them. Browsers are by far the most heavy and resources hungry apps. There's no real need for that, but that's the trend for all the main ones. Wish browsers were just browsers, true and real security features embedded (that's the only real need) instead o 3rd party addons and tools, and that's it. A browser to browse. Nothing else. No need for embeded codecs, file readers and editors, etc... but it's the direction the things are going; mutltifeatured swiss army knife browsers that can do it all. Even been the desktop base for "all browser apps" operative systems like ChromeOS... ridiculous, IMHO.

Enough of rant...

I solved the VirtualBox/Kwin issue too. Totally my fault. I started reinstalling the guest additions in the many VMs i have, but totally forgot the matching extension pack... :oops: For some reason this mismatch made kwin to slow down. Don't ask me why.

Zill

Re: [SOLVED] Today's update causing problems (Firefox)

Postby Zill » 18 Aug 2015 09:29

Snap wrote:... I was not comfortable seen all that brand new stuff in the FF40 so I finally re-installed Iceweasel 38 again. Though a few steps behind and a notch more crap free. IIRC the Iceweasel 41 I have in Vsido doesn't havbe those new features, or never noticed them...
I have seen others say that Firefox and Iceweasel are "different" but my understanding is that the only difference is with branding - the actual featureset and functionality are identical for any given version.

Can anyone point to a definitive difference between Firefox and Iceweasel with exactly the same version number? Note that both browsers must be "vanilla" with no extensions or other add-ons to confuse things. ;-)

Return to “KDE specific (SolydK)”