[SOLVED] Today's update causing problems (Firefox)

Questions specific to the KDE DE go here
Snap

Re: [SOLVED] Today's update causing problems (Firefox)

Postby Snap » 18 Aug 2015 09:49

That's what I heard too.

They share the code as they are supposed to, but they actually feel different. IMHO (wild guess, indeed) the difference is in the defaults. I cannot tell for sure. Haven't checked them. But Iceweasel is always less annoying with the fancy features, They're supposed to be there, but you don't see them. It seems they are (thankfully) disabled.

I'll have to do that check some day. But at this point all my Debian based systems use Iceweasel. The remaining one was my main (baremetal) system; SolydK... Until yesterday. Now I'm all Iceweasel. 8-)

BTW, all the addons I normally use work in IW too, so no concern. All clear in the browsing front.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 18 Aug 2015 10:43

debian's iceweasel is a stripped off version firefox. no hello, no adblock, it's just the browser without those fancy stuff. it seems that many user prefer it that way so that the maintainer remove it from iceweasel.

Snap

Postby Snap » 18 Aug 2015 10:58

Lovely! I'm more than happy with the switch.

Thanks for clarifying, Kurotsugi.

Snap

Postby Snap » 18 Aug 2015 11:40

Oh, and one more thing. Don't forget to launch synaptic and type xul-ext in the search field. ;)

Zill

Postby Zill » 18 Aug 2015 13:18

kurotsugi wrote:debian's iceweasel is a stripped off version firefox. no hello, no adblock, it's just the browser without those fancy stuff. it seems that many user prefer it that way so that the maintainer remove it from iceweasel.
Sorry, on my Iceweasel (v40.0) both Adblock Plus and Hello are present and correct! No different at all from Firefox as far as I can see:
Iceweasel_1.png
Iceweasel_2.png

Snap

Postby Snap » 18 Aug 2015 15:12

Hmmm... Unless adblock is now a dependency for IW40 it shouldn't be there if you didn't installed it manually from the repos or the Mozilla site. it's added in Firefox by the Solydxk Firefox customization package, but not for IW. cannot tell about the hello and other stuff. Cannot remember when I had it in the Sid VMs. I have them always hidden. But let me check IW41.

Snap

Postby Snap » 18 Aug 2015 15:16

Yep. it's all there. But I hid it a while ago.

Zill

Postby Zill » 18 Aug 2015 15:33

Snap wrote:Hmmm... Unless adblock is now a dependency for IW40 it shouldn't be there if you didn't installed it manually from the repos or the Mozilla site. it's added in Firefox by the Solydxk Firefox customization package, but not for IW. cannot tell about the hello and other stuff...
Yes, I did install Adblock Plus manually on Iceweasel. I appreciate that Adblock Plus may now be part of the SolydXK customization package but it is not part of either "vanilla" Firefox or Iceweasel whereas Hello is.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 18 Aug 2015 22:06

please check addons on 'about:addons' and tell me what's your active addons.

Zill

Postby Zill » 18 Aug 2015 22:22

kurotsugi wrote:please check addons on 'about:addons' and tell me what's your active addons.
Iceweasel addons as requested...
Iceweasel_3.png

Snap

Postby Snap » 18 Aug 2015 22:29

Want the old FF speed back?

http://news.slashdot.org/story/15/08/14 ... t-requests

Works for palemoon too. So I will check this in IW with a brand new profile to keep my good one safe. If it works I'll apply the changes. I'll report back.

Code: Select all

firefox -new-instance -P "type-your-new-profile-name-here"
Will allow/enable two instances with different profiles for the tests.

Snap

Postby Snap » 18 Aug 2015 22:38

Woooowww!!!! :o Go and change that setting

about.config

network.http.speculative-parallel-limit 0

Restart the Fox or the Weasel

Literally flies! what a speed, dude!

disciple1964

Postby disciple1964 » 19 Aug 2015 04:32

Hello,

Changed firefox to the what you suggested, and you are right! it does speed it up significantly.

Thanks

Lenovo T61P-6gigs-15.1Screen-250gig hard drive / Desktop: Quad core Intel Core i7-4790K CPU Kernel~3.19.0-49-generic x86_64 Mem~1621.5/15928.2MB HDD~1120.2GB
Registered Linux user 566308

cx405

Postby cx405 » 20 Sep 2015 15:31

Interesting.. I discovered Firefox is stored in /opt/
This is good, but why not within usual / scheme, if Debian does not support Firefox anyway?
Also, /etc/skel/.mozilla is stored in /opt/firefox/browser, which may be confusing if users would like to have own default settings on the machine.

Final idea, why not replace Adblock Plus with "ublock Origin"?

I see no point in using Firefox, browsers have security bugs and privacy problems - Debian's policy and what Stable stands for is ideal for this use case.
disclaimer: solydxk user and fan, I am *not* affilated with solydxk project. experienced in - ubuntu, debian, gentoo, calculate, archlinux, linux mint, rhel. my posts are mine. no guarantee for fitness to particular use case.

Snap

Postby Snap » 21 Sep 2015 15:47

I find it ok living in /opt besides coming from the repos. /opt is intended for the stuff you install from other sources or compiled by yourself. The same way I like a /opt/bin instead of using /bin or /local/bin for the scripts I add (or collect) myself. It's a matter of taste or organization.

I totally favor U-block Origin. I stopped using adblock plus a while ago. Switched to adblock edge but it's not developed anymore and the guys behind it are now developing U-block Origin.
I see no point in using Firefox, browsers have security bugs and privacy problems
That's a difficult move. if you want features you need the big boys and all have many drawbacks you can complain about, including security. In other hand simple and light browsers lack features and usually have minimal or zero blocking and security protection unless you fully strip them down so many (web) things doesn't even work.

cx405

Postby cx405 » 21 Sep 2015 16:02

Snap wrote:
I see no point in using Firefox, browsers have security bugs and privacy problems
That's a difficult move. if you want features you need the big boys and all have many drawbacks you can complain about, including security.
Hehe, we misunderstood each other. What I mean, is that on Debian - Iceweasel is more favorable (IMHO!), because Debian Stable can release a package much faster than upstream mozilla as well as fix any security or privacy issues that conflict with Debian's social contract, which mozilla would not see as such.
disclaimer: solydxk user and fan, I am *not* affilated with solydxk project. experienced in - ubuntu, debian, gentoo, calculate, archlinux, linux mint, rhel. my posts are mine. no guarantee for fitness to particular use case.

Snap

Postby Snap » 21 Sep 2015 16:06

Oh, yes... :lol:

I use the weasel too.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 26 Sep 2015 11:29

mozilla...actually do that faster. "it" was their work so any security hole is reported to them and the patch also made by them. debian got the patch later when the hole publicly announced.

Return to “KDE specific (SolydK)”