[SOLVED] fresh install but want to transfer vbox, mysql

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
duped

[SOLVED] fresh install but want to transfer vbox, mysql

Postby duped » 21 Jan 2015 14:31

Hello. I just bought an SSD and my plan is to have it as only solydk whereas now I have a dual boot magnetic drive (MD) with win7 and solydk. Eventually I will remove linux completely from the MD and just choose the boot sequence starting with the SSD. I made a fresh install on the SSD with a slightly different partition scheme than on the MD and tranferred my home/ files. Now, however, I do not really want to go through a reinstalling win7 on virutal box and then MS office. Mysql (mariadb) is the same but I can do that without much problem using dumps. My question:

What directories should I be moving to keep vbox so that it works without reinstalling windows on it. ... Would that be /etc, /usr or just /usr/local, /var?

thanks

wildman

Re: fresh install but want to transfer vbox, mysql

Postby wildman » 21 Jan 2015 16:29

If I am understanding you correctly in that you want to preserve the virtual machines that you have already created, all you need to do is to save/transfer the folder called ~/VirtualBox VMs. Then from within VB go to Menu-->Machine-->Add and browse to the folder that contains win7.vbox or whatever name you used when the win7 VM was created.
Wildman
May the Source be with you.

duped

Re: fresh install but want to transfer vbox, mysql

Postby duped » 21 Jan 2015 19:34

Worked great. Thanks wildman. Somehow I thought it would be a lot harder. I am always amazed by the modularization of unix-liek systems and how one can move things around. It not a big brittle framework.

Return to “Installation”