The end of WinXP = missed opportunities

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
Fargo

The end of WinXP = missed opportunities

Postby Fargo » 09 Apr 2014 15:23

Well the end of XP support has come and gone. I can't help but to feel we will all look back on yesterday as a day of missed opportunity. It should have been the day Linux took over from Windows. But it won't be.

Where were the Linux adds? Where was the commercials and reasons to switch? I don't blame the small distros, they don't have the infastructure. Instead, I am looking at the bigger corporations like Ubuntu, RedHat, Suse. They should have been filling our TVs with adds to switch to their OS. Especially Ubuntu. In the past Ubuntu speant good money handing out cds to get the word out. They should have been placing adds on prime time TV advertising their operating system for the PC as well as phones. If they want to run a business they should have been out there stirring up demand. I think it could have been very effective for Ubuntu to advertise that they can restore your old XP machine with their new OS. Or if you prefer you can purchase Ubuntu preinstalled on a new computer from a list of manufacturers.

I'm not a Ubuntu user, but I appriate all that they have done for Linux. I just don't understand why they don't advertise and work harder at getting hardware sold with their OS preinstalled. It seems to me the end of XP would have been a golden opportunity. And I don't think its too late yet. But they will have to hurry. I would love to see Ubuntu or any other distro put forward a strong advertising campaign. Maybe even a coalition of a number of distros could put something together.

kobros

Re: The end of WinXP = missed opportunities

Postby kobros » 09 Apr 2014 15:50

Mass acceptance of "Linux on the Desktop" is a fantasy. It is a dead duck, as far as I am concerned.
The only way to get mass acceptance [in say 10-15 years] is putting simple computers preloaded with free linux distribution(s) in front of the kids in school, in their formative years. Expose them to- and let them get used to friendly and free distribution(s). They'll never accept/use MS or Apple software after that.

The mass-acceptance wil not be brought about by Muenchen or the French Police; no, it must be the educational system.

The end of XP is not an real opportunity for linux. It's an natural opportunity for Win7 and Win8 as successors.
Those refusing to 'upgrade' from XP to a safer successor are either lazy fools or dumb*sses. Both types wouldn't even consider using linux unless it was forced on them.
Linux User #312596.
Mepis/Debian/antiX/MX/Win7

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 09 Apr 2014 15:53

Fargo wrote:And I don't think its too late yet. But they will have to hurry.
^^^ ;) ^^^ THIS

The window is still there and I think the opportunity/demand will grow over the next month or two a people start to realize the their commercial AV applications have failed to completely protect them from the bad guys. As WinXP users start to get slammed .... that's when they will start to look to alternatives. But right now, the pain is well below the "flinch threshold".
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Night Wing

Postby Night Wing » 10 Apr 2014 04:35

As of today, I think I read somewhere where XP is still used on 25%-27% of computers running on Windows world wide so that translates to about 375-400 million computers. That's a big market. And the percentage numbers are better than Windows 8/8.1 paltry 10%-11% combined market share.

If this is true, I think anti-virus programs will still support XP along with other software vendors for their programs.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 10 Apr 2014 11:28

Night Wing wrote:As of today, I think I read somewhere where XP is still used on 25%-27% of computers running on Windows world wide so that translates to about 375-400 million computers. That's a big market. And the percentage numbers are better than Windows 8/8.1 paltry 10%-11% combined market share.

If this is true, I think anti-virus programs will still support XP along with other software vendors for their programs.
My sense is that the above is at least very close to the truth if not dead on target. But, while after-market vendors will make and sell just about anything, the sorts of things these products can protect against are only a part of the total threat to the WinXP community. Without going into detail (because DoD security directives prohibit such), you would not believe the steps USCYBERCOM takes to secure Win7; steps most users are unable/unwilling to take to secure their computers. As for WinXP, DoD has given up on that as a lost cause.

I do believe the world became a much scarier place on Tuesday for those still running WinXP and it will only be getting worse over the course of the next couple of months.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 10 Apr 2014 15:46

Yep the feedback I'm getting back from friends and other's when I ask them about it.

They just don't care to. They didn't even know that it lost support until I told them. As long as it doesn't just up and stop working, not many is going to leave XP over this. As there AV will continue to work giving them a impression of everything is OK in the XP world.

Average user is not going to be running around in a panic. They were not overly concerned about security before the deadline they sure aren't going to be overly concerned now. They will bury their heads in the sand and wait until something bites them in the hardrive

I'm sure some will take the opportunity to upgrade with a new system. And will go thru culture shock as will be force fed Win 8 and have some tech or tech-savvy friend or relative change it to classic menu. Or they will find a Win 7 setup and go with that.

A insignificant few will actually think and be concerned about security and concerned with their liberties and rights being violated by businesses & governments. And start to scream "I'm Mad As Hell!..And I'm Not Going to take it Anymore!"

But the majority will blindly plod on still using WinXP until it whimpers & dies with sigh. As WinXP is Not Dead and will continue on for a couple to few years to come. :o

Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

rokytnji

Postby rokytnji » 10 Apr 2014 17:12

I don't like the fact that most medical facilities will still be on XP with patients private data.

http://www.aaos.org/news/aaosnow/nov13/managing9.asp

http://www.washingtonpost.com/investiga ... story.html

You think google, the nsa, or who ever has your private info.

Think again. What does your medical records say about you.

It boggles the mind.

Though I don't sweat it or wear a tin foil hat.
The Pharmacy in the same building as the Hospital I go to.
Well the wifi is on a open network. :o
I get online while in the waiting room.

Kinda spooky, huh?

Won't be many missed opportunities for the identity thieves I guess.

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 10 Apr 2014 17:30

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 10 Apr 2014 17:44

hinto wrote:How about this?
95% of bank ATMs face end of security support
-Hinto
Yep read those stories. And those banks are working out deals with Microsoft as we speak. Where Microsoft will be able to charge them thru the nose ring for continued support. And banks will be happy to pass on the additional cost to the customer! ;)
Portfolio
Flickr

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 14 Apr 2014 13:43

Isn't vendor-lockin a grand thing?

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 14 Apr 2014 19:27

Schoelje wrote:Isn't vendor-lockin a grand thing?
Yep waiting for the Vendor lock-in on computer and medical implants for our bodies. It's started with Google glass and wearables. But when we can connect to the internet or make a phone call from our head then the Real Fun will Begin! :o
Portfolio
Flickr

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”