Installing Chrome in Linux vs Windows

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
Fargo

Installing Chrome in Linux vs Windows

Postby Fargo » 24 Apr 2014 16:13

I was over on lxer.com and I see this article "How to install Google Chrome in Ubuntu 14.04LTS" http://ubuntuportal.com/2014/04/how-to- ... -tahr.html.

As I am reading the headline it just jumps out to me, how can you write an entire article on how to install a simple program. This is why people say Linux requires too much knowledge of command line. Do we really need an entire article full of command lines to install Chrome? This will not win over any Windows converts. Everyone that has used Windows knows how to install Chrome or any other program:
1) Go to the website and download the file
2) Double click on the file
3) Follow the directions on the screen.
What is so hard about that? In the case of Google Chrome, the procedure for most Linux distros is the same. Chrome will even add the Google repo to your list for updates.

So why do I need a full page of CLI tutorials telling me how to install Chrome on Ubuntu. Anyone new to Linux is going to immediately scream that Linux sucks. You have to know command lines to run linux. Everything is done in command line. Now I see why people say that. What should have been an article showing how easy it is to install software in Linux becomes a lesson in CLI instructions. Talk about making things more difficult than they need to be. What is it with the fascination of CLI in Linux? Why can't people accept that for the majority of people a simple GUI is easier? Are these people just trying to show how how tech savvy they are because they can install via CLI and you can not? Who cares. I just want the program installed.

The sooner articles like this disappear the sooner people will realize that Linux can be used by a novice. Articles like this just reinforce the myth that you need to know command line to install anything in linux.

Sorry for the rant.

Deleted User 2763

Re: Installing Chrome in Linux vs Windows

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 24 Apr 2014 18:23

...or you could install Chromium from Software Manager (or Synaptic).
-Hinto

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 24 Apr 2014 18:33

hinto wrote:...or you could install Chromium from Software Manager (or Synaptic).
-Hinto
Exactly. Installing programs from the software manager couldn't be simpler. My point is articles like the one above just make Linux look like some archaic OS that can't install programs without the command line. I have no doubt the author had good intentions of helping people, but the reality is that it just makes Linux look more difficult than it is.

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 24 Apr 2014 18:41

Yep...
It's like pointing new (or old) users to distro where you have to sort out dependencies yourself and hope you don't get conflicts.
-H

_q_

Postby _q_ » 24 Apr 2014 18:49

Iframe is not allowed anymore. Click here to watch the movie.

birds of a feather....

SolydXK is such a delicious flavor of Debian!

kobros

Postby kobros » 25 Apr 2014 09:07

it's very simple to do (in debian distros).
If you really want Chrome in your debian linux (I use Chromium) just add the following line into /etc/apt/sources.list :
Note: for SolydXK Home editions replace 'stable' with 'testing'. Then refresh in Synaptic and install Chrome like any other package.

Code: Select all

deb http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main
Linux User #312596.
Mepis/Debian/antiX/MX/Win7

patzy

Postby patzy » 25 Apr 2014 09:30

kobros wrote:it's very simple to do (in debian distros).
If you really want Chrome in your debian linux (I use Chromium) just add the following line into /etc/apt/sources.list :
Note: for SolydXK Home editions replace 'stable' with 'testing'. Then refresh in Synaptic and install Chrome like any other package.

deb http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main
Then again you can go to the google chrome website and download/install the debian edition..... :)

kobros

Postby kobros » 25 Apr 2014 17:13

No, once you have downloaded and installed Chrome (with gdebi or dpkg -i <name-of-chrome>.deb a repo-list for Chrome is created and added to your sources.list (actually in etc/apt/sources.d/ ).
As soon as a newer Chrome version hits that Chrome repo you're ready to upgrade. Or not. And you'll be able to select various Chrome versions beyond Stable (Testing or Development). Installing another removes the previous installed version.
Linux User #312596.

kja77

Postby kja77 » 29 Apr 2014 13:37

Just to add to the original post...

I find it strange after all the years Linux has been around there is no equivelent to MSI / EXE installers for linux.

Single click installs from web pages would be a big step forward IMHO.

Saying that it's also nice to be able to just apt-get install or access any software from the manager.

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 29 Apr 2014 14:27

gdebi does it.
-H

kobros

Postby kobros » 30 Apr 2014 13:25

.... Single click installs from web pages would be a big step forward IMHO.
I'm glad there are other means of installing stuff in linux than dumb-clicking on binary executables of sometines questionnable or unknown origins.
Linux User #312596.

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”