So What drives You Up the Wall?

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
Orbmiser

So What drives You Up the Wall?

Postby Orbmiser » 13 May 2014 04:05

Thought to share some of my idiosyncrasies and issues I have that drive me up the wall.

Just saw one of my images in flickr with this huge & annoying animated gif in comments. I hate those animated gif's in comments,forums,etc.. So damn annoying.

People that can't be away from their cell phones for more than 5mins. They Can't walk down the street,sit in the park and enjoy or in movie houses,restaurant's without their addiction. And to annoying talk around other's even in away from their face walkie-talkie mode. What happened to civility and consideration of other's? One of my dark fantasies is seeing the results of a strange phenomenon where Cell phones stopped working for a week or month and watch society go off the rails.

People that won't take 5 or 10mins to learn something new about their computers. But will spend hours re-hasing,re-tweeting,re-posting same old info on their facebook. And friends then expect me to fix their computers in 2 mins so they can go back to blindly click on things again.

Computer companies and businesses telling me I don't own my e-books,PC games,Music,Movies and trying to tell me I can't copy or back them up or decide what devices I can use them on. I always make backup copies and store the originals away. PC games crack and use a No-CD crack so I don't constantly need pulling out the original and possibility of scratching or damaging the original just for a DRM check. Same for Music CD and Computer Software disc's. All the originals are stored away. I will dictate what and where to use my bought content ebooks,games and software.

So posted here as just a venting outlet. So share your pet peeves and things that drive you Bonkers ! :o
Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

rokytnji

Re: So What drives You Up the Wall?

Postby rokytnji » 13 May 2014 04:08

Cars, 4 wheelers, when I ride motorcycle. Literally. :)

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 13 May 2014 04:10

rokytnji wrote:Cars, 4 wheelers, when I ride motorcycle. Literally. :)
Yep had that issue when I rode a motorcycle and a bicycle everywhere. I always tried to stay out of there way and be thoughtful and considerate. But many driver's still feel there is no place for bicyclists on the street with motorcycles not far behind. Get use to it here in portland where we are considered to be a major biking city. And I imagine that goes for a lot of European and other countries as well.
Portfolio
Flickr

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 13 May 2014 14:07

Orbmiser wrote:People that can't be away from their cell phones for more than 5mins. They Can't walk down the street, sit in the park and enjoy or in movie houses, restaurant's without their addiction. And to annoying talk around other's even in away from their face walkie-talkie mode. What happened to civility and consideration of other's?

People that won't take 5 or 10mins to learn something new about their computers. But will spend hours re-hasing,re-tweeting,re-posting same old info on their facebook. And friends then expect me to fix their computers in 2 mins so they can go back to blindly click on things again.

Computer companies and businesses telling me I don't own my e-books,PC games,Music,Movies and trying to tell me I can't copy or back them up or decide what devices I can use them on..... I will dictate what and where to use my bought content ebooks,games and software.
Got a bunch of them, but you sure nailed these!

Dr G

Postby Dr G » 13 May 2014 18:43

Orbmiser wrote:People that won't take 5 or 10mins to learn something new about their computers. But will spend hours re-hasing,re-tweeting,re-posting same old info on their facebook. And friends then expect me to fix their computers in 2 mins so they can go back to blindly click on things again.
Ahhh, that was one of my original motivations for switching from Windows to Linux (along with malware and built-in-by-design bugs). I cut off dozens of moochers who at one time I thought envied my Windows knowledge. The truth, of course, was that they really sought free support so that they could continue on with their own stupidity. :evil:

No more will I provide support of any kind for Windows. Windows users deserve everything they get. :twisted: And if they are not willing to learn from their mistakes, then they can pay someone who is more patient than I to save their bacon. :lol:

If someone wants to learn about Linux, I have the time. I'll be glad to help them create a bootable usb drive, and answer any questions about installation. But! That 'someone' must learn and install Linux themselves. I learned by reading and asking questions, so can they. :D

Follow Up: Dang. I must be extra grumpy today. My apologies if I offended anyone with the above tirade.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 13 May 2014 19:12

Orbmiser wrote:One of my dark fantasies is seeing the results of a strange phenomenon where Cell phones stopped working for a week or month and watch society go off the rails.
I remember one summer we had a blackout in the Northeast. The only radio station we could get was in Canada until a local one fired up a generator! So, what did we do? Well, it was in the middle of August and too hot to stay inside so I walked over to my neighbor's place and we all sat outside (as others joined us) and enjoyed each other's company. As it got dark out, they brought out candles. The whole neighborhood was candle light and beautiful! We all agreed it would be nice to have one summer night a year like that! :) I think that was one of my most favorite memories! No computers, no technology, sure, no air conditioning. But good company of those who live next to you. I found out later also that people all over the city were stopping to help. One I think donated a generator to the local hospital, another was found helping to direct traffic until authorities could take over. People were coming together to help. There wasn't a single report of crime or looting through the whole thing, amazingly. At least, the radio station that did get back on air was reporting only positive news and hopefully bringing others to do good deeds as well.
Orbmiser wrote:People that won't take 5 or 10mins to learn something new about their computers. But will spend hours re-hasing,re-tweeting,re-posting same old info on their facebook. And friends then expect me to fix their computers in 2 mins so they can go back to blindly click on things again.
Bad habit. :oops: Well, I don't do social network too much but I have a nasty habit of watching crazy YouTube videos. :lol: But as you guys probably know, I also like tinkering on the computer, and figuring out what works, what doesn't, and how to get things working. I do admit that some things I know I can't do - like repair the laptop. Luckily I have a local Wizard that helps with what I can't do myself. And it's rare that I would need his help, thankfully.

My pet peeves could fill so many volumes that I don't think there's enough trees and/or even pixels, bytes, data space to store it all!!

But, to name some...

People who do things just because they know it annoys you, or just laugh in your face when there's no real reason for them to be laughing (it's not like I can't get a joke but these folks think that everything literally is a joke - everything). Trolls. :evil: Believe it or not, there are trolls in real life too, not just online.

Phone representatives that waste more damn time telling you for 20 minutes how they are going to help you and saying they're so very very very sorry and saying how they understand your frustration and parotting back to you 100 times what you just told them, without getting down to the problem and fixing it!

Conspiracy Theories! I mean, I really wish that more real, non-biased scientific studies could be done to prove or disprove some of these crazy stories! I sometimes wonder if some of this stuff is true or not. I keep an open mind and in the vastness of the universe I don't see why anything can't happen. I think if you think about it, anything at all is possible. But whether or not if it really is happening or happened in our neck of the woods or not - that's what I'd really want to know for 100% sure. No just ideas, thoughts, maybe, maybe not, no way (but without proof), absolutely this is true (without proof). Sometimes it bugs me - I just wish I could really find out for sure! Then there's pseudo science, and "new discoveries" that make you wonder... So Conspiracy theories drive me nuts not because they are bad or good, but because I just don't see any facts one way or the other!! I have to admit though that some of them make for some really good entertainment. :mrgreen:

Another thing that drives me nuts is when the internet goes down just when I was about to pay bills, or expecting email from the boss, or about to upload something for work. UGH! Time to scratch the walls and then go call the ISP (don't worry, I'm nice to them :) ).

And here's one I often get a lot: Working for several hours (sometimes days, maybe even weeks) to figure out why something doesn't work when the logic by all means looks like there is no reason at all that it should not work. But it just doesn't work. Then after hours, days, weeks, etc. you find out the problem. One stupid, lousy, darn character is wrong!!!! :x :roll:

I think the last one has to be my #1 pet peeve. :lol:

rokytnji

Postby rokytnji » 13 May 2014 19:16

Back off the coffee Dr G. :D

Uptight today cuz elections are over in my one horse town.
City Council is useless/afeared.
City Manager is heartless/out for himself.
Mayor is clueless/think Bush.
And services and taxes are going up.

My biggest peeve is the water trucks for the oil boom tearing up the streets but my taxes are raised to pay for road repair.
My water bill goes up to fill the water trucks for the oil boom.
But, we are seeing no town benefits from the oil boom.

No huevos in my town govt. to tell the oil people to pay their fair share in my towns infrastructure.
So, with the elections over.
We are SOL, again.

:roll:

I never sweat the small stuff when I have such major pet peeves surrounding me on a daily basis.
Before you say, "but you can vote.....blah,blah,blah"

I am a minority in this town and could not vote if I wanted to.
So I just grin and bear it. ;)

Dr G

Postby Dr G » 13 May 2014 20:21

rokytnji wrote:Back off the coffee Dr G. :D
Wish I had that excuse. Nah, it's just the end of another semester. So many opportunities... lost. Frustration is a way of life for academics.
rokytnji wrote:Uptight today cuz elections are over in my one horse town.
City Council is useless/afeared.
City Manager is heartless/out for himself.
Mayor is clueless/think Bush.
And services and taxes are going up.

My biggest peeve is the water trucks for the oil boom tearing up the streets but my taxes are raised to pay for road repair.
My water bill goes up to fill the water trucks for the oil boom.
But, we are seeing no town benefits from the oil boom.

No huevos in my town govt. to tell the oil people to pay their fair share in my towns infrastructure.
So, with the elections over.
We are SOL, again.

:roll:

I never sweat the small stuff when I have such major pet peeves surrounding me on a daily basis.
Before you say, "but you can vote.....blah,blah,blah"

I am a minority in this town and could not vote if I wanted to.
So I just grin and bear it. ;)
Wow. Are you in the U.S.? Your description captures all too well what has happened in many smaller U.S. communities. But, I would not be surprised to hear it repeated in many places throughout the world. Somedays it's difficult not to believe 'the fix is in.'

n3mkh

Postby n3mkh » 13 May 2014 20:25

Raven, when the Teletype ASR Model 33 was the big interface to the mainframe, the zero and letter 'O' appeared the same on the printout, since only upper case characters were used and there was no special character for zero when printed. Nondescript "format error in line ###" usually was a cause of the number/letter swap, but was not visible on the printout. Checking the bit pattern on the punched paper tape would tell the tale. You would have loved it! ;)
Joseph
Hamming it up as N3MKH, Amateur Extra

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 13 May 2014 21:24

"when the Teletype ASR Model 33 was the big interface to the mainframe"

God that brought back High School memories 1970 of Time-Shared
and punched ticker tapes of Basic programs I use to carry around in my backpack :shock:
Portfolio
Flickr

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 13 May 2014 21:30

Fake statistics.
-Hinto

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 13 May 2014 22:05

n3mkh wrote:Raven, when the Teletype ASR Model 33 was the big interface to the mainframe, the zero and letter 'O' appeared the same on the printout, since only upper case characters were used and there was no special character for zero when printed.
That reminds me! As a kid I would write code in a notebook by hand at the kitchen table (TRS-80 days - we didn't have a big/good printer). I would make my zeros with a slash through it so I could tell zero or oh (O). I even started putting a line through the middle of z's. I don't remember when I got out of that habit though. Probably when I stopped writing code by hand. :lol:

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 13 May 2014 22:09

Speaking of teletypes, the very first computer I ever sat down to was a DEC Rainbow Telewriter which was hooked up via accoustic coupler and telephone to a mainframe in the city (I live in a small town). I really couldn't do much with it at all. No instructions, nothing. You'd be lucky if you could crank out Chess or Star Trek and actually be able to play it. Some smart computer nerd in my class actually then wrote a chess program in BASIC for it. He was considered God. :ugeek: I envied him (he was like a sort-of friend but not interested in people who couldn't do what he did). So that day forward I decided I wanted to get serious about learning computers. My parents bought a TRS-80 Model III cassette based system with 4K RAM (yes 4K!) and as they say, the rest is history! :mrgreen:

For those who wonder what the heck is a DEC Rainbow Telewriter, that is what I remember it saying on the computer terminal and it didn't have a screen, it was only a printer/typewriter like the DEC (Digital Equipment Corp.) DECWriter and DECWriter II, but I swear it said "Rainbow" and "Telewriter" on it. I remember wondering why it said "Rainbow" since there was no color - it was like a daisy-wheel printer!! No DECWriter looks like it though. It's printer part was more flat than propped up.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 13 May 2014 22:21

OK .... I've wanted to say this for sooo long - ever since since Schoelje and zerozero asked me to be a moderator :)

OK .... BACK ON TOPIC :) :lol: :lol: :)

How about ... driving behind a car that's (mostly) staying in the lane. When you pass you discover the driver is:
  1. A guy with an electric shaver staring at himself in the rear-view mirror
  2. A gal using the reaf-view mirror to apply eye-makeup
  3. A person reading a BOOK (you know, the kind made from paper) while driving. Happens most on the Inter-State at about 75mph (thats 120kph - for those who get to use a sensible system of measurement).
  4. Same as #3, only the person is using a flashlight (a torch for those in the UK) because it's after sunset!
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

n3mkh

Postby n3mkh » 13 May 2014 22:26

I really get annoyed by forgetting what I wanted to do by the time I get to the bottom of the basement steps. :oops:
Joseph
Hamming it up as N3MKH, Amateur Extra

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 13 May 2014 22:32

Yep with you there Scott. As every time I almost get nailed as a pedestrian is someone doing something else than driving like texting on their phone,etc.. even seen bicyclist trying to ride on the street and play with their cell phones.

Or you can hop on one of our buses where the driver is enjoying an e-book during rush hour traffic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VncnAYwBQ7Y

Humans Always have me Scratching my Head in confounded-ness ! :o
And in Awe that they are still thriving as a species! :?
Portfolio
Flickr

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 13 May 2014 22:34

n3mkh wrote:I really get annoyed by forgetting what I wanted to do by the time I get to the bottom of the basement steps. :oops:
Yep happens to me everyday every hour! :P
Sat at the computer awhile back and took me awhile to remember how to spell the word "Any" :shock:

And those Damn Skateboard idiots that thinks it is alright bouncing off the sidewalks,walls,rails,etc.. Right Out my Window right this minute! Where is my M-79 with a few HE rounds when I need it! :P
Portfolio
Flickr

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 13 May 2014 22:45

Sorry Scott! :oops: I started another thread for that topic.

Maybe one thing that drives moderators up the wall: People like me that go off topic! :mrgreen:

I remember one time I nearly got run down by some lady pulling into a parking spot while talking on her cell phone. I hate it when people are not paying attention despite the even tougher laws and penalties for these things!

Another thing I hate is putting my keys down and then needing them to go out and not being able to find them when I need them immediately. Only to find they were in my pocket or right in front of me. My mother always said "If it were alive, it'd bite ya!" We attribute that to being old enough to have to start thinking about the heareafter... as in "What am I here after?" :lol:

And since I live in an apartment, the biggest peeve is loud booming music all hours of the night, or the contractors deciding to start mowing the lawn outside my window at 7:00 in the morning. :( One time they did that on a Sunday!

Or that stupid itch you have on your back every time you go out and it's in the middle of winter and you already have 5 layers of clothes on plus your coat and you absolutely must scratch that darned itch. And you're already in your car, which isn't warmed up yet (because it's illegal to warm up your car unless you have a remote starter and the door is locked - I don't have a remote starter. Yes, in NY State they have laws against leaving a car running to warm up).

If that don't drive ya up a wall, I don't know what will!

patzy

Postby patzy » 13 May 2014 23:49

People I don't know ringing my mobile phone to talk about a company I've never heard of and speaking with an accent that is almost impossible to understand. :evil:

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 14 May 2014 00:14

RavenLX wrote:Sorry Scott! :oops: I started another thread for that topic.
I'm sorry - really - this is OPEN CHAT where anything (that keeps within the posting rules for content) goes. Chat is chat and there is no such thing as keeping On Topic.

I'm really sorry <crawls back under his rock :) >
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”