So What drives You Up the Wall?

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
Deleted User 2764

Re: So What drives You Up the Wall?

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 14 May 2014 01:52

@Scott: Don't be! I think you did your job quite well! It's open chat, yes, but our topic in this thread is what drives us up the wall, not what computers we used to use. That topic, I'm afriad I wrote a book for my latest post there. :o :oops: :lol:

Know what drives me up a wall? People calling me and not saying anything. Or calling and knowing my name and I don't even know them and going in a too-cheerful voice "SO HOW ARE YOU TODAY!!!!! :D :D :D :D " Uh. No good. Bye. :twisted: My neighbor who is from Italy but speaks decent English (though she does sometimes have a hard time understanding) would always say "No speak English." and hang up. I should try that. :lol:

Another thing I hate is when someone rings my door bell and then goes "oh. sorry." (They did it by "accident").

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 14 May 2014 01:55

Next time those darn telemarketers call (and that can drive anyone up a wall as they call right when you're about to eat), don't try this at home! :lol: WARNING: Strong and potentially offensive language/ideas in this video! But it is hilarious! :)

Iframe is not allowed anymore. Click here to watch the movie.

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 14 May 2014 03:42

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 14 May 2014 04:04

LOL! And they live to tell about it? Talk about The Three Stooges! Actually, their antics drive me up a wall! :lol:

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 14 May 2014 04:24

-H

disciple1964

Postby disciple1964 » 22 Jul 2014 12:23

Hello,

What drives me up the wall is when people use computers and they have issues, use the excuse well I don't know how to use a computer. Really? What gave you that Idea? I don't mind helping people, but at least try and learn what might be the problem.

Another thing is when tech's have a issue, and then don't read or research to find a answer, They expect you to tell them the answer and have the nerve to say they are too busy to read. Really? Well I'm toooo busy to fix your computer. Or it will be 150.00 per hr please.

Those who don't help the distro's with funds, time or even just give a great " Atta Boy" to those who are doing this for no pay, but care enough to create the best they can so our lives can be a little more productive. If you are going to whine, at least put some effort into helping out, and then you might see that whinning will not really change the situation. I do understand that computers are really complicated machines, But I had no formal training on how to use them or fix them, it took hundreds of hrs of reading, listening to those who were admins, I have great respect for CNE admins because they were the guru's, way more than a MCSE tech, having them teach me how to make a cat5 cable, showing me how to troubleshoot irq's, modems and hardware in general. I spent thousands of dollars upgrading my computers and software. Finally I became a tech, and after 17yrs I find that I still don't know all that much as technology changes faster than wind direction. But I really have come to loathe those who make excuses not to at least try and find a solution. If I have learned anything, is that windows really did screw people up when it came to learning.

But even with all that, I would still find time to help someone out. I feel sorry for the techs of today, They know nothing of Dos, commandline, modems, Usenet, Bulletin boards or any of the fun stuff we used to do. All they know is point and click and if it doesn't work, Then throw a tantrum, and ask someone for the answer, because they are too busy to learn.

And last but least, if you are going to be a tech and have people paying you. You should be learning everything you can about what you are supporting, because your customers deserve to have the best support you can offer. Don't just tell them to reinstall because you can't troubleshoot your way out of a paper bag. When that attitude is taken, It makes us who worked hard to become the best tech we can look bad, and I can do that all by myself.

Now back to your regularly scheduled broadcast :mrgreen:

Lenovo T61P-6gigs-15.1Screen-250gig hard drive / Desktop: Quad core Intel Core i7-4790K CPU Kernel~3.19.0-49-generic x86_64 Mem~1621.5/15928.2MB HDD~1120.2GB
Registered Linux user 566308

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 22 Jul 2014 13:14

What drives me up a wall is that nothing is like it used to be. Gone are the days when you read a book and could understand what you read. Books and documents now are so poorly written that they are full of errors, inconsistencies, poor grammar and spelling mistakes. Like someone dumped their brain and published it without even trying out the examples to see if they really do work.

That is the one time-killer when researching on the internet an answer to a problem. 99% of the time the answers are things you try that don't even work and worse, make more problems that need fixing. 1% of the time you run into folks (like on this forum) that really do know what the heck they are doing and give you a good answer or point you in the right direction. Often I don't have to even ask - it's already asked, and solved. (This is why I love putting [Solved] in our subject because at least then I know the answer contained within actually works.) Other boards also use that method but I've seen where the "solution" is "oh I figured it out myself! Thanks!" and NO post on HOW they figured it out (to help others reading/searching). At least if you did figure it out yourself, please post the answer so others can benefit!

jsalpha2

Postby jsalpha2 » 22 Jul 2014 14:41

Fake statistics.
-Hinto
90% of the people surveyed would agree with you! :D

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 22 Jul 2014 16:08

-Hinto

helmsdeeper

Postby helmsdeeper » 23 Jul 2014 09:39

Going into a bathroom and there's no toilet paper :x

Andrew

Postby Andrew » 09 Aug 2014 02:31

People who don't listen to what you are saying. This happens quite often when I'm face to face with someone who asks me what my name is & they have to write it down.

8 out of 10 times it goes like this...
What's your name sir? Andrew Krogman *then I immediately start spelling it* K R O...but the person writes C R O, so I stop & say, no not C it's K & they look at me & say how do you spell it?
Desktop: 64bit 2.6gHz dualcore 2G RAM - SolydK HE
Laptop: Dell D630 Latitude; 64bit 2gHz dualcore 2G RAM - SolydK BE

duped

Postby duped » 14 Aug 2014 17:09

Harley Davidson bikes with straight pipes burning past my house. Especially just after the kids fall asleep. Motorbike sound laws are not enforced where I live.

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”