Reasons that are NOT obvious why some use Linux

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
Andrew

Reasons that are NOT obvious why some use Linux

Postby Andrew » 29 May 2014 23:37

A lot of people know the obvious reasons why others use Linux as their stand alone OS. But what about the not so obvious ones that your friends didn't think about. I have 2 why I chose to do it.

(1) Built a new computer in 2005 & didn't have the money to buy a copy of Windows. Bought the 5 CD set of "SuSe 9.0 professional" off eBay for $5 & installed that. Was on dial-up at the time so didn't want to download it. Installed other distro's over the next few years.

(2) Bought a new desktop in 2010 (the one I'm using now). A bloke on eBay au sells computers on lay buy (think it's called "lay away" in the US), & it had Windows 7 Home installed on it. Used that until early last year & dual booted it with Linux Mint 14 which I used almost exclusively. Late last year I had to replace my modem/router & Windows LAN would not connect to it as it needed an update. Connected Mint 14 to the modem in less that 2 minutes, so formatted the hard drive & re-installed that as a stand alone OS. Now have only Solyd K on this computer. Laptop I bought earlier this year (Dell D630) has Solyd X installed, but originally came with Windows XP. Changed the OS the day it was delivered.

Are there any other not so obvious reasons you know about why people have Linux install as a stand alone OS on their desktop or laptop?
Desktop: 64bit 2.6gHz dualcore 2G RAM - SolydK HE
Laptop: Dell D630 Latitude; 64bit 2gHz dualcore 2G RAM - SolydK BE

yoast

Re: Reasons that are NOT obvious why some use Linux

Postby yoast » 30 May 2014 00:31

I really switched to mainly cloud-computing and was considering a Chromebook. But I need some java apps.

If someone adds disk-encryption and an option to log-on using a google or MS account we could call it Solyd-Vanadium :-)

I used Ubntu and Win before and like both OK enough, but I really prefer SolydXK now. So thanks and kudos to the team..

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 30 May 2014 02:08

Well, I guess one reason people things I would use Linux is they think I'm a geek, being a programmer and all. And I guess my distaste for anything MS is expected.

However, outside of Win7 and Win8 sealing the deal for me (I'm not fond of 7 and absolutely hate 8 - that rhymes! :lol: ), I am getting concerned with MS's "EOL" (End of Life) policies and what's rumored about Windows 8 having a life expectance of one year is it now? I don't even know but it means one would have to buy a new computer or OS more frequently if that's the case. I don't have a lot of funds. Linux is Free as in you don't pay for it. Also what's nice is Linux is free to play around with code.

Application upgrades are also free, even major upgrades. In the Windows world, most of the minor upgrades for programs are free (but you still have to purchase a lot of stuff to make the system useful). Major upgrades mean another payment of anywhere from 70% - 100% of the application price. It's very expensive to run Windows.

Opportunity is another big reason people might not consider. Many things are run by Linux. Linux skills are in demand in the workplace, so I hear. And since I work with Linux at work, I wanted something at home I could also learn on and expand my skills that I could use for work.

I don't think people really think about those things. Mostly I think they think "Oh you just don't like the changes Microsoft made to Windows. Why didn't you just go buy a Mac?" or "Oh you're just a geek/nerd/whatever that just sits there typing code. Of course you'd love an operating system the rest of us can't figure out!" (And they are very wrong on the last bit - if they tried it, I bet they would be surprised how easy to use Linux can be!)

Andrew

Postby Andrew » 30 May 2014 03:04

Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't even think of those reasons Raven, probably because my reasons didn't relate to those you mentioned. I know there is quite a bit of reluctance for some people wanting to change over to Linux from Windows, but I don't really understand why. Especially when they know I've been using it for a fairly long time.

One example is a mate who lives in another state. He's running Vista & was having problems with it last year. I suggested he try Mint 14 which I was using & I was going to mail him a copy it it on DVD. His reply was "Don't bother, you can't access a lot of websites unless you have Windows & Internet Explorer. :o I said WHAT, of course you can. He tried arguing the point that he was right, & thinking up other reasons why Linux is no good for everyday users, so I gave up in the end.

One more example. When it was announced that XP was not going to be supported any more, I posted a message on a forum I run (unrelated to Linux, computers or anything else in that realm), that I run Linux, & if anyone wanted to try out it out to replace their XP OS, I would be happy to suggest a few user friendly distros & help them get it sorted. I was thinking along the lines of SolydXK, Linux Mint, PCLinuxOS, Pinguy, maybe even Opensuse, etc. Haven't yet had anyone ask for that, but I know one of the guys went out & bought a brand new computer for about $A650 to replace the one with XP on it just because XP wasn't going to be supported any more. :shock:
Desktop: 64bit 2.6gHz dualcore 2G RAM - SolydK HE
Laptop: Dell D630 Latitude; 64bit 2gHz dualcore 2G RAM - SolydK BE

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 30 May 2014 05:04

As for your friend in the other state, my dad used to have a saying: "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it." :)

I just thought of another reason I was drawn to Linux: And this goes way way way back when I first tried Slackware - the very first Slackware ever made.

Before using "PC Compatible" computers (ie. DOS at the time and later Windows 3.1 by the time I got around to it), I had a full Tandy Color Computer 3 system with disk drives (both 5.25" and 3.5"), RGB Monitor, 512K RAM (that was a lot back then!) and OS-9 Level II. OS-9 was a hybrid of a Unix and Vax OS of sorts. The programming language that came with it was Basic09, which is like a hybrid of BASIC and Pascal (or in today's standards slightly like Python in some ways and very different in others).

Now the RS-DOS in ROM on the CoCos didn't allow long file names, directory structures, multitasking, windows (OS-9 had Multi-Vue as a windowing system, as well as DeskMate 3). Which is why I preferred OS-9. When I started working on "PC Compatibles", DOS to me was a little bit of a downgrade. 8.3 file names was so limiting! And no multitasking (until I got Windows 3.1) and that wasn't as good a "fake" as OS-9 Level II was (neither of those computers were capable of full real, actual multi-tasking but only task-swapping).

I tried Linux because I thought it'd be similar to OS-9. It was but it was so limited in what you could do that it wasn't usable (ie. Slackware 1.0 - it was hard for me to figure out!) So I waited and tried different distros and versions, and waited. Until finally last year I finally made the big switch.

I think Linux is just the right fit because of my background with the CoCo. It's familiar.

And it's also why I use KDE - that seems so familiar after years and years of Windows.

duped

Postby duped » 30 May 2014 15:04

The real clincher for me is that I completely control my machine. My employer provides me with a laptop and Win7. On that I have many restrictions and funny scripts at startup including limited ability to even install programs. I just feel that big brother is not just watching me but limiting me is very non-sensical ways. Most of my work is done in open source software like R and technically that is banned (they turn a blind eye, however). So I shrunk the Windows partition as small as I could go and Linux uses the rest and I completely control it. To be fair, I do not hate windows and I do not even hate windows 8 (I have it on a home machine). I have softened towards MS somewhat in the past few years and I think Apple is a much more evil corporation presently.

So for me the main issue is really control but of course Linux is an ever deepening experience that sucks you in. I did make the mistake once of saying to someone that I have developed a relationship with my computer with Linux. It did not come out right and the look on their face revealed the faux pas. What I meant is that the depth within Linux always keeps one discovering and learning and I appreciate that all the time.

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 30 May 2014 18:33

I needed a cheap, 64-bit, mixed case, mixed security, posix development environment for C/C++ and Java Development.
-Hinto

Wazza

Postby Wazza » 30 May 2014 18:39

Not so obvious reasons?

Linux and it's associated software does not include,
An animated dog.
A patronising paper clip.
An attitude that suggests that I'm a pirating criminal until proven otherwise.

I've never had a problem with paying for good software. However, market monopoly doesn't automatically imply that the software is good.

yoast

Postby yoast » 30 May 2014 19:37

For a family with a couple of Win PCs the need to backup rescue-DVDs of the OSs etc and subsequently installing tools to find all kinds of "if you click too quickly- we'll install Ask toolbars" stuff. Added to that the concerns about malware and the constant updating of malware scanners etc. I decided to try if it was less work with Linux.

With Kubuntu it was a great improvement and the kids could do most games online etc. but I still had to upgrade and update. SolydK has provided three identical PC-installs with all the same version. Stable and with Virtualbox most occasional use can be done (or Dualboot).

I am now only having to click occasionally on updates, and that is a lot less work than re-installing proprietary media etc.

I hope the kids will stay with minimal Win use (Movie Maker the biggest draw, maybe later MS-Office or games). Because SolydK is easy and stable and less prone to malware etc..

With the NAS for backups and private docs and media and much stuff in the cloud it is becoming much less important which computer we happen to be on and much less work to do occasional trouble-shooting or changes in software.

So, I chose it for simplicity of management and to make sure I had almost identical configurations, versions and upgrades everywhere. Much simpler than win.

Y.

rokytnji

Postby rokytnji » 30 May 2014 20:43

All could get me on Ebay and buy Motorcycles and parts.

Only one left me more money to buy stuff on Ebay with.

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”