Microsoft or Apple-who will die first

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
duped

Microsoft or Apple-who will die first

Postby duped » 30 May 2014 15:55

I think Apple is on the way out, well not completely out but just and average player producing functional products in a sea of many similar. I think their fate was almost sealed with the huge success of the ipod and iphone which canalised them into a stylised gadget company and there is always a better gadget around the corner. Now I would not say Microsoft will die because I think it has a lot of depth but it will be diminished.

What do you think? How do you think that fates of Microsoft and Apple affect Linux?

The elephant in the room of this post is Google - ideas?

rokytnji

Re: Microsoft or Apple-who will die first

Postby rokytnji » 30 May 2014 19:23

Actually, the elephant in the room is

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/fea ... e-industry

Which is outside of this mortals control. So I guess I'll just stick one of these on my computer and ramble on.

http://piratevinyldecals.com/wps/wp-con ... -pv194.png

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 31 May 2014 04:27

I guess none of them will gonna die :3
linux, windows, and mac have their own marketshare. their marketshare might decreased but they won't die.

Longshot

Postby Longshot » 01 Jun 2014 07:42

Die in what way? Apple will be around as long as it keeps bringing out a new Iphone every 6 months and MS will be around as long as computers are still used. Google's Android is great but Iphones aren't going anywhere, Apple computers OS on the other hand might die off, MS might lose some market share on computers as long as they keep making crappy OS versions like Windows 8 but will always have its place on the desktop. Windows phone might die off, like all things, MS and Apple must adapt but they will not die off for a long time to come. As for Linux, it will always have its place as well, I'm happy with good old plain Linux distros only having 1% of the desktop market share, I would love for it to grow but if not, that's fine to, Linux works for me, I don't need everyone to use it to know its the best for what I need. With Google Android and Chomebooks, Linux is already big time, is it the "kind" or "version" of Linux we all want to be big? Maybe not but Linux is big time never the less thanks to Google, even if most people don't even know they are using a version of Linux when they use Android or a Chromebook.

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 01 Jun 2014 10:56

I though Apples OS was based on some kind of linux/unix. I think you can run linux commands in an apple os terminal.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 01 Jun 2014 13:10

AFAIK osx's kernel is a mix of BSD and unix's microkernel. we may call it our brother since both linux and osx originated from unix. the terminal stuff is something inherited from unix.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 01 Jun 2014 13:22

Longshot wrote:As for Linux, it will always have its place as well, I'm happy with good old plain Linux distros only having 1% of the desktop market share,
Me too. MS, Apple, Android, Let 'em have it. Yes, it's nice to have more folks come in, but for the right reasons. Mainstreaming brings commercialization, which just destroys everything it touches... Another of my pet peeves... :lol:

vtpoet

Postby vtpoet » 19 Jun 2014 12:52

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents: First, I can't foresee either dying in our lifetimes. The only thing that would take them out is a completely new technology and software platform that we can't imagine, that they can't imagine, and that probably won't originate in the States (or else they'd probably get their fingers in it).

As to Linux and mainstreaming, I do worry, a bit, as to what will happen when the current generation (like Torvalds) retires. I worry that 1% isn't enough. I'd like to see just over 10%-12%.

I do think Ubuntu/Canonical's days are numbered. Let's face it, all of Shuttleworth's efforts, up to this point, have been unremarkable, at best. He may have endowed Canonical with a nice size honey-pot (when compared to other distros), but I can't see how Canonical can survive if they stick to their current course.
Linux Reap what you tweak.

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 19 Jun 2014 16:52

vtpoet wrote:Just thought I'd add my 2 cents: First, I can't foresee either dying in our lifetimes. The only thing that would take them out is a completely new technology and software platform that we can't imagine
Sorry But they already have Patents on that technology! :P

It has already started not dieing but evolving away from more generic hardware Desktop centric to less choices for hardware designed by Apple or Microsoft. And concentrating their efforts on hardware endeavors to deliver content. That is where the money is going. Content & Media delivery with everything in the Cloud. Software companies have already started this Adobe anyone? now Microsoft Office 360.

More and more finding the computer morphing into a mobile content delivery device. People filling up there time with Angry birds and Facebook,Twitter me this kind of Social instant on "I'm on the toilet right now O' what a night last night was"

Yep to the degree now with Gnome 3 and KDE as well as Ubuntu's Unity all wanting that Convergence Thing! :o

Sad really as individuals fill their eyeball's with streaming "Duck Dynasty" to Facebook my 1,937 friends of my latest moments to reaching level 33 of Angry Birds. Less sitting at the desktop writing poetry or corresponding with friends with more reflective thoughts on a wordprocessor. To sitting there meditating while drawing art or thoughtful exploration of processing Images they took as no need my mobile device has a app and filters for that.

Filling up all our devices with Streaming Piles of Everything. Hoping the distractions keep the masses happy and clueless to how bad the world around them is becoming.

But who am I just an Old Fuddy Duddy that punched out programs on paper tape on a ASR-33 time-share or RPG and Cobol programs on punched cards! as I am one of the dying breed! the dying dinosaur! Hear Me Roar! :o

Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 19 Jun 2014 19:50

vtpoet wrote:...The only thing that would take them out is a completely new technology and software platform that we can't imagine, that they can't imagine, and that probably won't originate in the States (or else they'd probably get their fingers in it).
You mean something like this:
http://thevarguy.com/open-source-applic ... olutionary

vtpoet

Postby vtpoet » 19 Jun 2014 21:56

//something like this....//

Cool, but no. This doesn't strike me as very revolutionary -- despite the writer's hyperbole. If it actually did something other technology didn't do, then that would be revolutionary. As it is, I doubt "the machine" will make so much as a blip on the public radar.
Linux Reap what you tweak.

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”