EdX Introduction to Linux Course

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
Deleted User 2764

EdX Introduction to Linux Course

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 01 Aug 2014 21:33

Today was the start of the Introduction to Linux course over at EdX. I'm there as "RavenLX" but it doesn't look like the forums are that intuitive (yet). I'm not sure how active I'll be in the forums there.

I've figured that I'll do about one section a day (some days I will do two: lab and summary or even a section plus a lab and summary). At that rate, and figuring a day or two to study and time off for major USA Holidays, I should take the final exam December 10th. I'm sure most of you probably will breeze through this in a few days to a week but I don't want to overload myself, really. I don't know what the sections will all entail, or the labs, etc. How much reading, etc. I can always adjust the schedule when I get more into it (may even finish earlier).

I'm going for an Honor Code certificate. They say in the forums and on site that there's no time limit so that you can finish the course months ahead. So I should get the certificate at the end of December (they issue them end of month you finish except August is August 15th and going fast as I can I don't think I could finish by then anyway).

So anyway... Welcome back to school! :D

I wish they had this start in September, actually, since that is a traditional back to school month here in USA but that's ok. I'll finish for the New Year at least. :)

I did the demo course and the welcome stuff.

I will be using two distros. First they mention the course will center on major distros which include Ubuntu and Mint on the Debian side. And they mention they will gear towards GNOME and not KDE. So, I grabbed an ISO of Ubuntu GNOME to make a virtual machine of on Monday to use for study. I can also work in SolydXK (I have VMs of those as well). What I do is set up a VM, then clone it, then use the clone for work. That way if it gets borked, I can just delete it and make a new clone.

I'm taking the course to see if there's anything I may have missed learning over the years (I'm sure there is), and to see what it's all like. If It's good enough and they have other great courses on Linux in the future (I hope they will) then I'll probably take more courses. Maybe even in other areas of interest as well.

kbd

Re: EdX Introduction to Linux Course

Postby kbd » 02 Aug 2014 00:10

I got through the first 3 chapters tonight, kind of burned myself out doing that :-) I figure at about 4 chapters a week I can finish it in about a month. I knew much of this early material, some of it was new, or expanded upon what I already knew. The third chapter was heavier with file hierarchy, which was somewhat new to me, the third chapter ended on installation of 3 types of Linux which would be old hat to anyone around here :-) The questions are somewhat tricky, sometimes they want 3 out of 4 checked, other times just one or two out of four checked. This threw me a few times already.
Overall very informative so far.

patzy

Postby patzy » 02 Aug 2014 01:25

I'm having a go as well. I know I'll complete the course, but as for passing the exam that is a different matter. (Haven't done an exam for 60 odd years).
BTW don't forget to mention using Solyd in the "what version do you use" discussion.
So far I'm enjoying it.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 02 Aug 2014 03:32

So far I haven't seen the version discussion but I haven't really done much in the discussion boards yet. But yes, I'll mention SolydK anytime I get a chance. :) Like I mentioned, I'm also going to give Ubuntu/GNOME a go as well. I probably will only use that (as a VM) for the course as I don't plan on having it on my system for a couple reason: So far, SolydK HE is just right for my needs and I love KDE. I don't think I want to go with another DE right now anyway. I never did like GNOME for some reason.

Monday I'll be setting up my VM learning environments. Then continuing with Chapter 1 on Tuesday. By my own schedule, I probably will finally get to the Filesystem thing on the 15th. I know that's dog slow but between work and life, I don't want to burn myself out, either.

kbd

Postby kbd » 02 Aug 2014 05:04

There is a danger of not getting much out of the class by rushing through. I think the first two chapters went so fast because it was mostly going over the easier stuff I already know, but chapter three was tougher 1/2 way through. If the other chapters get tougher I will slow down more and it will take me longer.
I like the way they do it, short intro, short video, some reading, then questions, then review. It is set up well.
Haven't checked out the discussions yet.

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 02 Aug 2014 13:51

How about a Solydk or X fan club?
A trouble shared is a trouble halved.

I have also started the 'Bombay' course, CS101.1x. Definitely a different beginning.

martin welsh. - first exam 1947.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 02 Aug 2014 15:14

How much math knowledge do you really need for that CS101 course? I pretty much forgot everything I learned in HS and I don't think I ever took calculus. It looks like it covers some things that weren't covered in two ASP.NET courses I took (and got certificates for) a few years ago via our local school district online learning (via Ed2Go.com).

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 03 Aug 2014 12:08

My mathematics still uses Roman numerals but they did try to teach me calculus many years ago.

I will keep you posted on how I get on.

Things have changed. If we got 4/10 for our homework we earned the belt, nowadays 4/10 gets you a pass on a degree course.

Fingers and legs crossed we will see how we get on.

martin welsh

pascale

Postby pascale » 06 Aug 2014 15:03

Hi, I'm registered to audit the course, first time on edx.

I'll be slow as I'm new to Linux, but I'm hoping to work my way through it over the next months.
I was looking for the discussion where I could announce that I'm using SolydK, but couldn't find it... Anyhow, see you in the discussion forums. :)

Pascale

kbd

Postby kbd » 06 Aug 2014 15:06

I initially thought I would just audit the course, but I'm pacing myself and believe I will finish it, do the exam, and get the free certificate. Some of it so far is very familiar and even easy because of using Linux for awhile now. But I'm learning some things to. It's a very good course.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 06 Aug 2014 16:34

I too couldn't find where to announce I am using SolydXK.

I've readjusted my schedule and decided maybe if I stick to it I can finish it before Aug. 15th and get the certificate too. Of course if I miss, I can get the cert at end of month I finish.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 07 Aug 2014 00:02

They use Microsoft Word to make their Lab document PDFs! Whaaaa!!!??? :o :shock:
LF-MSWord.jpg
LF-MSWord.jpg (10.78 KiB) Viewed 4353 times
LibreOffice could have done the same thing. Why MS Word for a Linux course??

kbd

Postby kbd » 09 Aug 2014 19:08

Been working on chapter 6. This one has slowed me down quite a bit. I never use the terminal for searching through and pulling up files. Really hoping I don't need to remember all these for the final exam.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 09 Aug 2014 19:33

I'm on chapter 14. Some stuff they pile in a lot of information in a small page. The exam is open book so open it in one tab/window and then have the other tab open to the course and just look things up if you need to.

I'm trying to finish before the 15th (when they have the next certificates sent out) so I can get on with other things I need to do. I don't know if I'll make it yet but I'm cramming what I can in. Overall, it is a great course to introduce people to Linux but if you're short on time, it can be tedius and confusing. I recommend anyone learning it would take at least a few months to learn it and practice everything and go at a slow pace. I don't have the time it turned out so I'm kinda rushing it. Luckily I already know some of it, and some of it is new to me, so I'm learning things too.

However, I don't think it's worth a $250 certificate as it's pretty beginner type stuff for the most part. The honor code certificate is nice, but I don't think I'd mention this on my resume (especially after I have other experience in server administration, etc.) I think this should really be just an audit course for those wanting to get started.

kbd

Postby kbd » 09 Aug 2014 21:43

Thanks. I'm taking it slower than I thought I would. I want to get as much out of it as I can. Planning to do the exam at the end and am going for the free certificate.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 09 Aug 2014 22:30

Quite honestly, I'm trying to get through it fast, which I probably shouldn't (as I said I really didn't have the time I thought I did for this).

I think they should have dropped the intro videos and some of the presentation videos, in fact, most videos weren't really useful except some of the ones that show where in the GUI to do things. Others just could have been done with images (and not be as bandwidth intensive). In fact, even the GUI tutorials could have been done with just images and text.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 10 Aug 2014 02:36

Just completed the course and got 100% on the final exam! YAY! 8-) :geek:

It is a lot of work and I really took all day every day for several days to get this done. I would recommend those that are not really really familiar with Linux take your time with this (maybe a month or two, actually). I did learn things even though much of it I already knew. But I did learn stuff I took notes of for reference in case I need it later. They went into some depth in some key things which is good. I think they overused video presentation though. But that's just my own opinion.

The exam wasn't too hard as it's all multiple choice and if you took the time to really learn each thing then you should pass. When it came time to take the exam, I middle-clicked on the exam link so that another tab had the course still available to look at (even though the course menu was in the exam window too). I never needed to refer to it though but it's there for those that want to review as you take the exam.

Think it through. The exam has 2 tries per question. At first I wasn't sure if I should click save or final check to log my answer for grading but if you get it right the first time, click final check to use up the 2 chances and the last answer is what gets graded. So, if you get it wrong, you get one more try to get it right and the right answer is what is graded. Of course if you get it wrong both times it'll grade it wrong for that question.

It explains this I think in the demo course (which is a separate course I also recommend you take if you never took an edX course before).

I really didn't use the discussions much except to mention some things that may need fixing. But then I gave up doing that (sorry) after awhile because I really wanted to get this done so I can get to work on other things that have been piling up on me lately.

Good luck to others taking this course and hope you all pass! :)

kbd

Postby kbd » 10 Aug 2014 06:34

Great job and congratulations!!!

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 10 Aug 2014 11:30

Thank you. :) Hope to hear of others passing the course too.

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 10 Aug 2014 14:09

I started the Linux foundation course and the intro to computer programming from Bombay through the edx network. (CS101.1x)

Initially I looked at the Linux course and then noticed that is all in one lump and you can do it in your own time. So I am concentrating on Bombay which is issued in one week lumps and this makes me 'try to keep up'.

The Bombay course is impressive it seems to be thorough and also seems to be well supported with literature and hand outs.
So far each lesson has a video presentation accompanied by separate written dialogue much the same as the video speech.

We have more or less found out what makes computers tick, got some idea of how to create a program, we should know how to feed data into the computer in computer speak, (strings, integers, boolean translations into binary forms). Now we start to write C++.

It should do me some good.

Will keep you posted.

martin welsh

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”