EdX Introduction to Linux Course

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
Deleted User 2764

Re: EdX Introduction to Linux Course

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 10 Aug 2014 14:50

Thanks for the overview. Sounds like a good start! Also reminds me of two online courses I took at ed2go via my local school district's continuing education program. The ASP.NET courses (intro and intermediate) really taught a lot of programming concepts as did the Intro to C++ course I took. I actually thought the C++ course was more difficult but I aced that one's final with 100% too! The irony is that I don't really use C++ right now or since then (a few years ago) and so I forgot how to program in it. :lol: However, the concepts from those courses really helped me get a grasp on OOP and thus I've progressed quite rapidly on my own with Perl and PHP.

My next endeaver is to learn Python.

These courses could very well help one learn some concepts that can be used in other languages and computer work.

Andrew

Postby Andrew » 10 Aug 2014 20:57

I first saw this thread last night & went & had a look. Signed up to do the Auditing course. I'm not worried about getting a certificate, I just want to do it to try & learn more. One thing I have to do is download one of the distros they use in the course because I don't have a "recent" distro with Gnome DE, but that's no great hardship. It can just be added to my collection of distros with KDE, XFCE, Mate, LXDE & Cinnamon. As you can see, I'm not really a Gnome guy. :lol:
Desktop: 64bit 2.6gHz dualcore 2G RAM - SolydK HE
Laptop: Dell D630 Latitude; 64bit 2gHz dualcore 2G RAM - SolydK BE

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 10 Aug 2014 22:52

Throughout the course they used Ubuntu with what looked like Unity, CentOS with what looks GNOME-ish and OpenSuse with GNOME. But later on it won't matter as they did a lot more Command Line stuff after that.

Everything that they show in GNOME you really could do in anything.

Andrew

Postby Andrew » 10 Aug 2014 23:04

RavenLX wrote:Throughout the course they used Ubuntu with what looked like Unity, CentOS with what looks GNOME-ish and OpenSuse with GNOME. But later on it won't matter as they did a lot more Command Line stuff after that.

Everything that they show in GNOME you really could do in anything.
Ok, thanks Raven. I already have Debian 7.5 KDE installed in virtualbox, so I'll try that & see how I go.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 10 Aug 2014 23:10

@Raven, Signed up for it back when it first hit the forum. Was going to go for the certificate but now I think I'll just audit... Haven't had a chance to dive in yet; wanted to thank you for posting all your thoughts/insights. I'll probably get started this week or next, when things quiet down around here... :mrgreen:

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 10 Aug 2014 23:32

I'm also going to take a look at it after I get my current project through testing and into release.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

patzy

Postby patzy » 11 Aug 2014 05:50

ScottQuier wrote:I'm also going to take a look at it after I get my current project through testing and into release.
If this is your multi ISOs on usb, then I'm looking forward to it. (Have new usb stick standing by... :P ).

As for the course, I've found the introduction videos irritating. Compared with the other Edx courses the presentation is disappointing, but I'm learning quite a bit now I've got to the command line stuff.

Andrew

Postby Andrew » 11 Aug 2014 08:57

Well I've got to the 2nd section in the command line stuff & so far I haven't done too badly. But now it's all starting to get harder, for me anyway. I've always had trouble remembering most terminal commands. I really want to learn this but it doesn't help having some short term memory loss due to a bad motorcycle accident in the mid '80s. I'll just keep plodding along re-reading, re-reading & re-reading & hopefully some of it sticks to some brain cells.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 11 Aug 2014 09:01

I'm kind of in the same boat, memory-wise. I've always had to look these things up over and over and over again. Sometimes I even get smart and put the most-used ones in a cheat sheet. But then the cheat sheet becomes so cumbersome... Watcha gonna do...? :mrgreen:

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 11 Aug 2014 12:09

Fibromyalgia causes my own "forgetter" to work overtime as well ("forgetter" = part of the brain that conveniently forgets things when you don't want it to). So, what I use is CherryTree (which you can find in the repo). It's an outline tree based note taking program. I put my notes in there, and save them to files like "bash" or "linux" or "python" or whatever. I categorize the notes and you can also search the notes. That way if you forget something or want to know how to do something and don't want to Google and find 1,000 bad answers before you find one that works, you can go to your trusty CherryTree. :)

When you learn something new, fire up CherryTree and just add it in. If you keep all your notes files in say ~/Documents/CherryTree, you can just tarball up that whole directory and back it up. Easy to keep your notes backed up so you don't loose them.

I use this for my programming snippets as well, and organizing projects, To Do lists - everything. This sure came in handy during the course.

CherryTree also supports Rich Text, Syntax Highlighting for many languages, and also tables.

If you install it, you may want to configure it to use a light theme and "kate" for Plain Text and Code. Be sure to read all the configuration options and tabs. Some of them are quite useful.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 11 Aug 2014 12:53

RavenLX wrote:("forgetter" = part of the brain that conveniently forgets things when you don't want it to).
Yes... time to start thinking about the hereafter, as in, "What am I here after"? :D <scratches head> I forget who said that...

I use text files in a "notes" folder. Thinking about CherryTree or Dokuwiki or some such solution...

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 11 Aug 2014 13:39

I think CherryTree is much easier to use, and it doesn't require having apache or a web server installed to run it. Also CherryTree has downloads for Windows and I think Mac on their web site so if you want to use your notes in another OS, you could.

As for the "hereafter":

Iframe is not allowed anymore. Click here to watch the movie.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 11 Aug 2014 15:06

RavenLX wrote:As for the "hereafter":
:lol: :lol:

That was hilarious! I've been in every one of those situations many times...
Some snert from Walmart called yesterday, said I was late for work. :o :shock:

Ok, I'm gonna grab this CherryTree and give it a try.
I've got stuff spread all over the Great Pumpkin's nice clean universe...

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 11 Aug 2014 15:13

fleabus wrote:That was hilarious! I've been in every one of those situations many times...
:o :shock: I won't even ask! :lol:
fleabus wrote:Some snert from Walmart called yesterday, said I was late for work. :o :shock:
What did you tell them? Maybe you should have said "That's because I quit! I just got a job as Walmart's CEO!" or something. :lol:
fleabus wrote:Ok, I'm gonna grab this CherryTree and give it a try.
I've got stuff spread all over the Great Pumpkin's nice clean universe...
Same here. But at least with CherryTree I can keep things a little more organized.

Non-Obligatory Disclaimer: I do not work for, am not the author of, or in any way affiliated with CherryTree. I'm just a normal user that finds this to be a must-have utility. :)

kbd

Postby kbd » 11 Aug 2014 15:47

fleabus wrote:I'm kind of in the same boat, memory-wise. I've always had to look these things up over and over and over again. Sometimes I even get smart and put the most-used ones in a cheat sheet. But then the cheat sheet becomes so cumbersome... Watcha gonna do...? :mrgreen:
I'm a big fan of copy and paste lol!
Yeah, remembering those commands has been the hardest so far, also frustrating because I know I will probably not use most of them, but I am learning things :-)

kbd

Postby kbd » 18 Aug 2014 20:36

I finally finished. I won't make the Dean's list but I got 87% on the exam. Some of the terminal commands threw me. Glad to have it done :-)

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 18 Aug 2014 22:10

Congratulations! :) Just a reminder to those who finish after August 15th. They will be issuing certificates for it on Sept. 30th (and the last day of every month) and not August 31st. They issued August's certificates on the 15th (early). Apparently they only issue the certificates early in August.

kbd

Postby kbd » 18 Aug 2014 22:43

RavenLX wrote:Congratulations! :) Just a reminder to those who finish after August 15th. They will be issuing certificates for it on Sept. 30th (and the last day of every month) and not August 31st. They issued August's certificates on the 15th (early). Apparently they only issue the certificates early in August.
Thanks!
They are still supposed to release certificates on the 31st according to the pinned discussion:
Certificates Now Available
Briskmad
3 days ago
If you passed the final exam before 15 Aug 2014, you can now download your certificate from your EdX Dashboard.
The next batch of certificates are scheduled to be processed on 31 Aug.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 18 Aug 2014 22:57

They may have changed things after I had started the course. I'm glad to see that folks won't have to wait as long. If I had known of the change I may have decided to take a little longer.

kbd

Postby kbd » 18 Aug 2014 23:01

RavenLX wrote:They may have changed things after I had started the course. I'm glad to see that folks won't have to wait as long. If I had known of the change I may have decided to take a little longer.
Did you get your certificate yet? If finished by the 15th they are supposed to be available now on your edx page.

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”