EdX Introduction to Linux Course

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
Deleted User 2764

Re: EdX Introduction to Linux Course

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 18 Aug 2014 23:29

Got the certificate just fine. When you finish and the certificate release date arrives, go into your dashboard and you can download it. It's a PDF file.

kbd

Postby kbd » 18 Aug 2014 23:34

RavenLX wrote:Got the certificate just fine. When you finish and the certificate release date arrives, go into your dashboard and you can download it. It's a PDF file.
Cool :-)
Thanks!

kbd

Postby kbd » 31 Aug 2014 20:49

I got my certificate today, downloaded and printed it :-)
Is anyone here still working on the course? Willing to share your thoughts about it or progress?

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 01 Sep 2014 13:42

An update on C++ from Bombay.

The course is quite polished but I am having significant troubles with what purports to be my brain.

I recall that when you gaze fondly at C++ code it always seems cluttered with lots of punctuation marks.

I was hoping to find out more about these punctuation marks but so far, week 5, there has been little or no syntax but a lot of clever tricks to work out the answer to sums.

I will do another review at the end.

martin welsh

ajpat3

Postby ajpat3 » 01 Sep 2014 13:48

Well, I've made it to chapter 13. There's some stuff behind me that I reread and reread and it was like looking at a foreign language to me. Not a clue. My old man said I'd be good with a wrench. He got that right. I'm not giving up, but this is cruel. Good luck everyone.

Arthur
SolydX 64
SolydK 64

kbd

Postby kbd » 01 Sep 2014 16:00

ajpat3 wrote:Well, I've made it to chapter 13. There's some stuff behind me that I reread and reread and it was like looking at a foreign language to me. Not a clue. My old man said I'd be good with wrench. He got that right. I'm not giving up, but this is cruel. Good luck everyone.

Arthur
SolydX 64
SolydK 64
Yes, I gave up trying to remember all those terminal commands, that was the part that gave me brain-freeze in the course :-)

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 01 Sep 2014 16:45

I always found the best way to remember stuff is to use it as much as possible. Maybe take a couple of the commands and practice them over and over a couple days or so. Then each week try another couple commands and then review the ones you learned before. I admit I don't even remember or use all the commands they have. But the nice thing is that you can always go back to the chapters during the test if you forget. Luckily I didn't have to peek at all to get my 100%. :) But then I admit I have a little knowledge of Linux beforehand.

patzy

Postby patzy » 02 Sep 2014 04:23

kbd wrote:I got my certificate today, downloaded and printed it :-)
Is anyone here still working on the course? Willing to share your thoughts about it or progress?
I'm still working through it. Got to module 11.
This course is going to take me a long time, as there is no set limit for when it should be finished. I'm finding that it is filling in a lot of my linux knowledge gaps.
I'm starting the Intoduction to Water and Climate today, and the Ancient Greek Hero starts on Wednesday. :roll:

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 02 Sep 2014 13:51

I'm going to take the "CS_1156x Learning From Data (introductory Machine Learning course)" starting Sept. 24th. I always had a fascination with AI and other "smart" algorythms. I don't know much math but I'm going to take the course anyway and see how I do.

patzy

Postby patzy » 03 Sep 2014 11:14

RavenLX wrote:I'm going to take the "CS_1156x Learning From Data (introductory Machine Learning course)" starting Sept. 24th. I always had a fascination with AI and other "smart" algorythms. I don't know much math but I'm going to take the course anyway and see how I do.
I'm sure you'll do ok, Raven.
I had a teacher who used to say: "You can learn anything if you are interested enough in it", and you are obviously interested in this course.
Do let us know how you are getting on with it! (Maybe we should change this thread to Edx Introduction to Linux and other Courses? :) )

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 03 Sep 2014 11:34

Thanks! :) Sorry I went off topic (on my own topic yet!) LOL! I will start a thread in a more appropriate forum here to discuss other EdX courses.

[UPDATE]: Here's the new thread to discuss other courses: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4664

GDI

Postby GDI » 08 Sep 2014 01:55

I am presently taking the course "Intro to Linux" and have completed module 14. Very interesting, fun, and have learned quite a few things, being a linux newbie and all. The most dificult things I have found have been "remembering" the commands for the command line parts of the course. I have usually tried to do 2-3 modules at a time in one sitting. The bash module is next, so that ought to be a lot of "fun". :o I am going to try and finish up the course by the end of this month, so we shall see. Wish me luck! :lol:

A Few Of My Toys

SolydX
Crunchbang
LinuxMint
MX 14
Manjaro

kbd

Postby kbd » 08 Sep 2014 17:03

Good luck GDI!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 10 Sep 2014 17:36

Today I read this article at opensource.com which lists some nice free courses: http://opensource.com/education/14/9/fr ... urce-cloud

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 10 Sep 2014 18:49

@Schoelje: Awesome resources! Can you also post them in my general online learning thread here?

http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4664

It's a topic I started for other things that are not about the EdX Linux Course itself. That way folks have a place to go to learn of other online learning resources. I figured if I created the other topic it would help keep this topic on topic. :)

GDI

Postby GDI » 10 Sep 2014 19:43

GDI wrote:I am presently taking the course "Intro to Linux" and have completed module 14. Very interesting, fun, and have learned quite a few things, being a linux newbie and all. The most dificult things I have found have been "remembering" the commands for the command line parts of the course. I have usually tried to do 2-3 modules at a time in one sitting. The bash module is next, so that ought to be a lot of "fun". :o I am going to try and finish up the course by the end of this month, so we shall see. Wish me luck! :lol:

Well, today I decided to "buckle down" and get this finished. I only had 2 modules to complete so I took care of them. After I finished them, I decided what the heck and decided to go ahead with the final exam while things were fairly fresh in my mind. I got a score of 87% by answering 26 correctly and missing 4 questions (two of which were simple mistakes by not reading the possible answers correctly). Anyway, I learned quite a few things, satisfied with the results and happy to be finished with it so I can devote my time to other things that need attention. Congradulations to all that have successfully completed the course and good luck to those who are still at it!

A Few Of My Toys

SolydX
Crunchbang
LinuxMint
MX 14
Manjaro

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 10 Sep 2014 20:02

Congratulations! :) Sounds like you did very very well on the test.

kbd

Postby kbd » 10 Sep 2014 21:48

GDI wrote:
GDI wrote:I am presently taking the course "Intro to Linux" and have completed module 14. Very interesting, fun, and have learned quite a few things, being a linux newbie and all. The most dificult things I have found have been "remembering" the commands for the command line parts of the course. I have usually tried to do 2-3 modules at a time in one sitting. The bash module is next, so that ought to be a lot of "fun". :o I am going to try and finish up the course by the end of this month, so we shall see. Wish me luck! :lol:

Well, today I decided to "buckle down" and get this finished. I only had 2 modules to complete so I took care of them. After I finished them, I decided what the heck and decided to go ahead with the final exam while things were fairly fresh in my mind. I got a score of 87% by answering 26 correctly and missing 4 questions (two of which were simple mistakes by not reading the possible answers correctly). Anyway, I learned quite a few things, satisfied with the results and happy to be finished with it so I can devote my time to other things that need attention. Congradulations to all that have successfully completed the course and good luck to those who are still at it!
Congratulations! Good job!

GDI

Postby GDI » 30 Sep 2014 21:30

"Recieved" (downloaded and printed) my certificate today. I am one happy camper! :lol:

A Few Of My Toys

SolydX
Crunchbang
LinuxMint
MX 14
Manjaro

kbd

Postby kbd » 30 Sep 2014 21:46

GDI wrote:"Recieved" (downloaded and printed) my certificate today. I am one happy camper! :lol:
Great! Congratulations!

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”