Windows KDE Desktop?

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
kbd

Windows KDE Desktop?

Postby kbd » 12 Sep 2014 02:35

Some people are saying Win9 leaks look like KDE. What do you think?
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2606175/ ... -more.html

Refugee

Re: Windows KDE Desktop?

Postby Refugee » 12 Sep 2014 06:00

Nope, it still looks the convoluted, schizophrenic pos that is Widows 8 with the addition of the most asinine start menu design I've ever seen. Hey, lets throw some big honking tiles on there for the touch screens! Multiple desktops? Gee whiz, that's novel. And the placement of the power button looks like an after-thought (though admittedly better than the current, ridiculously obscured location). All in all an improvement from 8 but current KDE has 'em beat by a long shot.

You may have gathered that I don't care much for Microsoft. <shrug> :mrgreen:

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 12 Sep 2014 11:21

I particularly like this from the start of the second paragraph:
The update, codenamed Threshold and possibly called Windows 9 or just plain Windows, takes some features from Windows 8 and grafts them onto the classic desktop.
Makes it sound like the building of Win9 is not much more than a quick & dirty patch/hack job of splicing code from one release onto the code base of a previous. From a purely academic standpoint, it'll be interesting to see how well this graft job actually plays.

I'll probably give it a play when the public betas make their appearance ... in a VM. But don't expect it to stay on my machine for very long! :)
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 12 Sep 2014 13:12

Ugh...

<sigh...> My brain should not be this old yet! :shock:

I was dragged kicking and screaming into each successive version of Win since 2K. Necessary for work. Now work's gone, I got new toys, so there's no longer anything doing the dragging. I honestly feel that Win7 was the last relevant version of the beast. I haven't touched Win8* at all, nor do I have the desire, nay even the curiosity, any longer. If one works it right it's possible to keep Win7 going thru 2020. That'll be it for me I'm afraid. Since work went away I've only kept it around for support purposes. No one I know has Win8 except my son, and he doesn't really care much for it. We'll see how it goes I guess.

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 12 Sep 2014 14:20

Windows 9 thresh•old (ˈθrɛʃ oʊld, ˈθrɛʃ hoʊld)

n.
1. the sill of a doorway stop.
2. the Start of Tiles to confusion or senselessness.
3. Any point of entering or beginning world of confusion: the threshold of a new bottomless pit.
4. Alien "seeds" begin to grow into alien life-forms, needing hosts to complete their evolution... When their number reach the Threshold amount, they will be an unstoppable swarm
5. Also called limen. the point at which a stimulus is of sufficient intensity to begin to produce an effect: the threshold of consciousness; a low threshold of pain.
[before 900; Middle English; Old English threscold, threscwald, c. Old Norse threskǫldr; akin to thresh in old sense “trample, tread”; -old, -wald unexplained]

:?
Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 12 Sep 2014 15:03

Orbmiser wrote:[before 900; Middle English; Old English threscold, threscwald, c. Old Norse threskǫldr; akin to thresh in old sense “trample, tread”; -old, -wald unexplained]
:lol: :twisted: :mrgreen:

Yes! Definitely feeling both old and threshed! ;)

kbd

Postby kbd » 12 Sep 2014 16:46

Win8 was/is such a dismal failure that the whole thing makes me question how MS so badly went off of the tracks. "Arrogance" is the main word that comes to mind.
I think they will tweak Win9 enough to satisfy the faithful, but much of the rest of the world has moved on.
Having one OS "to rule them all" has failed, utterly. A phone-tablet-laptop-desktop interface across devices was a horrible idea, one sadly, that Ubuntu has chased and may lead to its ruin as well. I give Apple credit on avoiding that mess. Gnome Shell seems also lost on "the one OS" highway. Thankfully we have KDE, Xfce, and a few others not trying to force a phone/tablet interface on Linux.

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 12 Sep 2014 18:59

kbd wrote: Having one OS "to rule them all" has failed, utterly. A phone-tablet-laptop-desktop interface across devices was a horrible idea, one sadly, that Ubuntu has chased and may lead to its ruin as well. I give Apple credit on avoiding that mess. Gnome Shell seems also lost on "the one OS" highway. Thankfully we have KDE, Xfce, and a few others not trying to force a phone/tablet interface on Linux.
Hear!..Hear! As understand from a business point why they want to have
"One OS to rule them All!...And in the Darkness Bind Their Wallets!" :o

But from a practical user perspective don't know many that can keep that many devices synced,updated with all their ongoing data seems like a full time job. I love KDE's approach of modifying UI depending on device used. Rather trying to make a Desktop fit a Tv or a phone/tablet or vice-a-versa.

iOS and Android are on Top of the Heap for mobile devices and will remain so for the next 5 to 10 years. End of Story! :?
As they are already pushing and making strides into the TV & Netbook/Tablet realms quite successfully beyond their entrenched Phone territories.

Just don't see it changing much in that new fangled "Convergence World" everyone's talking about.
Except when talking iOS or Android that is.
Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

kbd

Postby kbd » 13 Sep 2014 18:59

I think Amazon just learned the hard way that iOS and Android rule on phones. Amazon just dropped its phone price from 200 dollars to .99 and probably can't give them away. Ubuntu will do no better. Just think if Ubuntu had invested all that energy and money into making a better desktop Linux instead.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 14 Sep 2014 08:14

kbd wrote:Just think if Ubuntu had invested all that energy and money into making a better desktop Linux instead.
I think that successful entrepreneurship is measured in willing to make mistakes and learning from them.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 14 Sep 2014 13:53

kbd wrote:Ubuntu will do no better. Just think if Ubuntu had invested all that energy and money into making a better desktop Linux instead.
For better or worse, Ubuntu made Linux (and Debian) a household name.
Remember that they convinced Dell (at the time was the leading PC mfgr) to sell PCs pre-installed with it.
That's quite a feat.
-Hinto

kbd

Postby kbd » 14 Sep 2014 18:18

hinto wrote:
kbd wrote:Ubuntu will do no better. Just think if Ubuntu had invested all that energy and money into making a better desktop Linux instead.
For better or worse, Ubuntu made Linux (and Debian) a household name.
Remember that they convinced Dell (at the time was the leading PC mfgr) to sell PCs pre-installed with it.
That's quite a feat.
-Hinto
There is no doubt that Ubuntu has done awesome things in the past. But I would suggest they have been in decline in the past few years and Linux Mint has largely taken up the slack, also we see a renewed interest in Debian, and even Linux Mint seems to be hedging its bets by focusing upon Debian more. I seriously wonder what happens when it finally dawns on Canonical that Phones are out of reach. I believe if they had spent all that energy on servers and services and the desktop instead, Linux would have been better off in general. I don't fault them for a couple of years ago making a try at phones, but that time is long past IMO. I'm not anti-Ubuntu, I use it on some of my computers, I just have concerns about their focus and lost time and opportunities while chasing their "white whale" :-)

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 14 Sep 2014 19:17

...Just looking at distro watch, but at least 3/4 are Ubuntu based, then the big 3. Debian, RedHat, Arch.
-Hinto

kbd

Postby kbd » 15 Sep 2014 02:39

hinto wrote:...Just looking at distro watch, but at least 3/4 are Ubuntu based, then the big 3. Debian, RedHat, Arch.
-Hinto
True, but Mint has been on top of distrowatch for years now. Ubuntu held that title until it changed its focus to a phone/tablet interface and put its energy in that direction. Mint followed a traditional desktop/laptop paradigm and we can see the results on distrowatch.
It is too bad we don't have Mint split into main and LMDE in distrowatch ratings. I think LMDE popularity will skyrocket with Debian Stable, and I expect the same with Solydxk.
My hope is Ubuntu drops the whole phone thing and puts its focus entirely back into server and desktop/laptop users.

rokytnji

Postby rokytnji » 15 Sep 2014 03:23

Windows 9 will likely be a pay as you go phone contract.

http://blog.excaltech.com/2014/08/26/wi ... ion-model/

Think of it like putting lipstick on a pig and then renting the bacon.

The base might be a one time buy, but the app store will want your credit card number.
By the time my Windows drm software catches up.
I will quit tuning Harley Davidsons.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 15 Sep 2014 03:45

rokytnji wrote:Think of it like putting lipstick on a pig and then renting the bacon.
:lol: ^ 8-) ^ :lol: ^ :twisted: ^ :lol:

lizbeth

Postby lizbeth » 16 Sep 2014 21:09

I had hopes for ubuntu phone. I dont like unity because of the worspace saver in unity but i was willing to overlook it for a phone/tablet/pc allin one device. The sad thing is that with the 64 bit arm processors that apple is using in their phones is the beginning of ubuntu's dream to come true. I would still like to buy that. Now that i have my ipads im a little less inclined to go that route for a few years.

The amazon phone is still android. I think its better than anything i have seen in android. I would buy that if it was on sprint. I have been with sprint for a number of years and they will finance 10 devices on my account. Not that I would be willing to have 10 devices but I could conceivably do it. That fire phone is polished from what i could see. They have limited themselves by only opening the market to at&t.

Windows 9? It makes my head hurt to look at it.Windows 7 is reasonable as windows goes but really... i had windows 3.1, windows 95, 98, 2000, xp, xp 2005 mce and 7.. never bothered with vista.. When they went from 16 bit to 32 bit it was interesting to run 3.1 on a 32 bit processor and watch the timing go all out of synch and watch the programs crash.

I wish someone would port all the games i used to love to play on windows to ios or android. those mobile processors are powerful enough. Curse of the azure bonds anyone? Abes world? I would play them all again. I dont like most of the new ones. Too violent.
Rebellion Against Tyranny is Obedience To GOD!

kbd

Postby kbd » 17 Sep 2014 20:00

I really love Amazon for so many reasons, but I hate their OS because it is so limited without Google Play, like iOS they are trying to force you solely into their ecosystem. But unlike iOS they don't have the chops. I bought two Kindle Tabs and ended up giving them both to my wife. I finally gave her an Android tablet instead and she likes it much better. I predict that like Barnes & Noble, in a few years Amazon will give up the ghost and get out of hardware and software beyond just their own apps and possibly e-ink readers. There is already a crack in the wall with their phones now selling for .99 instead of $199 and with Amazon video recently available on Android. 2 years at most, it will be all Google and iOS. Amazon has to quit losing money, and they need their content on everything possible, which has boiled down to Google and Apple products.
Edit/Update:
After seeing Amazon release their ridiculously priced phone I didn't think they had much of a future in hardware. But their latest low end tabs, especially aimed at kids and families, are very smart. They are not giving up the low end of the tablet market, indeed, they may own it. Good for them. Better than I expected after seeing the Fire Phone and Fire TV.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 53973.html

lizbeth

Postby lizbeth » 17 Sep 2014 20:06

It's easy enough to add google play to the fire tablets. 10 minutes effort.
Rebellion Against Tyranny is Obedience To GOD!

kbd

Postby kbd » 17 Sep 2014 20:13

lizbeth wrote:It's easy enough to add google play to the fire tablets. 10 minutes effort.
True, but non-tech people are not likely to do it.

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”