Microsoft Celebrates Debian Jessie Release!

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
Deleted User 2764

Microsoft Celebrates Debian Jessie Release!

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 26 Apr 2015 00:31

Well, this one is for the books:

Official: http://openness.microsoft.com/blog/2015 ... linuxfest/
Article on PC World: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2914585/ ... ating.html

I wouldn't have guessed in a million years... :roll:

I got this really crazy idea and I am sure I'm about to duck rotten tomatoes and rotten eggs in a moment. But please folks be kind to me... I may be just tired from a long hard week. But... (here goes -- ducking!!) Why don't MS give up Windows and just go Debian? :twisted:

Ok... I better get to bed early tonight, obviously. :mrgreen:

fleabus

Re: Microsoft Celebrates Debian Jessie Release!

Postby fleabus » 26 Apr 2015 03:22

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 26 Apr 2015 04:33

Well, you can blow me over with a feather! :o :shock:

But, as with anything coming out of MS, I'll believe it when I see it.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 26 Apr 2015 07:15

I've been a Microsoft business consultant for years and I've seen that since the CEO change Microsoft has put some effort into moving to Open Source in an attempt to benefit from community (versus company) driven products and services.

Microsoft's current CEO, Satya Nadella, has a different opinion on Open Source than his predecessor, Steve Balmer who stated that "Linux is a cancer".

However, it's in Microsoft's business model to make money and it will use any means to accomplish its goal even if that means it will have to fraternize with the enemy :)

You may consider that a drastic change at the top may result in an overnight change in the whole company, but I think it's very unlikely. I bet there are still a few Steve Balmer's left that would like to replace mr. Nadella and sue Linux for any unlawful use of technology they could think of.

Time will tell.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Snap

Postby Snap » 26 Apr 2015 07:17

MS needs to do something. Going Open Source or whatever they mange to figure out. Google is winning the computing game by far. They still lead and rule on desktops (A constantly shrinking niche). The mobile world now belongs to Google. They're not the biggest one anymore.

What actually concerns me as a desktop user are the plans from MS to make secure boot tighter than ever in the near future. This would make Linux way harder to install on any Windows certified product. That means most brand new laptops and desktops.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 26 Apr 2015 20:24

Schoelje wrote: I bet there are still a few Steve Balmer's left that would like to replace mr. Nadella and sue Linux for any unlawful use of technology they could think of.
I would not be surprised. But didn't someone out there (not MS) try and sue Linux for something and failed? It was big news for awhile many years ago. I forgot what it was about, even. I don't think MS would succeed in that since Android is based on Linux, Linux is pretty much what runs the internet, and there'd be way too many that could put a quick stop to it. MS would only lose money and what little reputation they would have left (IMHO). But I'm no legal expert or tech analyst so I actually don't know.

Zill

Postby Zill » 26 Apr 2015 22:19

RavenLX wrote:... But didn't someone out there (not MS) try and sue Linux for something and failed? It was big news for awhile many years ago. I forgot what it was about, even.
I think you are referring to The Santa Cruz Operation (SCO), which has been in dispute with anyone and everyone regarding Linux since 2003! Although SCO has been dead for years, it's corpse still seems to pop-up from the grave occasionally to start a new lawsuit. RIP :cry:

See "SCO–Linux controversies" and "Judge spanks SCO in ancient ownership of Unix lawsuit"

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 27 Apr 2015 12:38

Thanks, Zill. That does sound familiar.

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”