How about we do a virutal Jessie Release Party!

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
Deleted User 2764

How about we do a virutal Jessie Release Party!

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 26 Apr 2015 04:42

Ok, folks!

Debian 8 (Jessie) is Officially Released!

Time To Party!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Let's celebrate, shall we?

Debian's release means SolydXK is now stable as well! (Unless you want to track the next testing, which is ok too).

To celebrate, put your well wishes here, fun commandline stuff, Linux anecdoes, heck anything that is celebratory (and clean, of course) 8-)

Also it would be nice to see what you guys think of the now stable SolydXK? How is it working out for you so far? What would you like to see us do with it within SolydXK?

For me, I really like SolydK and did do an update today. I have to update my laptop yet. But overall, SolydK is very stable and works great for me. Ok, I admit there's some times when things would just disappear (like Dolphin on occasion - I have no idea why), and a couple things may still need tweaking (when I have time I have to revisit why the desktop PC won't come out of sleep mode). But overall I really like the reliability. I use it for work (which includes using virtual machines), home stuff, watching YouTube, movies, TV shows (Hulu, Amazon), etc. I also like the security and knowing I am less likely to have a virus/malware on the system.

Snap

Re: How about we do a virutal Jessie Release Party!

Postby Snap » 26 Apr 2015 07:22

Virtual beers for everyone! :lol:
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 26 Apr 2015 20:26

Here! Here! (Not "hear" but HERE as in OVER HERE!! :lol: ) Actually, to tell the truth I don't drink alcohol so my 'beers' will need to be the no-alcohol kind.

Also let's pass around some virtual Pizzas too, while we're at it! :) And a slice of Cake (that looks like Tux with the Debian Logo inside it). :)

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 26 Apr 2015 22:07

Can I just say that I am a bit disappointed with the release. I downloaded the latest LXDE live disk this morning and tried to install it on an old IBM laptop (about 9 years old), I was not impressed that it failed to find the wireless and onboard ATI card despite selecting use non-free. The LXDE start menu was a joke with programs all over the place with many of them duplicated in their own Debian menu folder. This is a product that has spent 2 years in building and design and the finished product looked like something a kid in year 9 at school would produce.

Debian build a solid reliable product but they just don't seem to be able to add that little bit of spit and polish that the many Debian based distro's can (and do), which really is a shame that they can't deliver their own product.

There always one party pooper, guess that is me then, can't have beer either so will stick with my red wine and will give the pizza and cake a miss as well (doctors orders) :roll:

Snap

Postby Snap » 27 Apr 2015 09:07

Debian gives the DEs in their defaults. I haven't seen any (perhaps with the exception of Gnome 3 having pretty decent defaults) that doesn't suck. And the same typically applies to WMs. No surprises that they're crap after a fresh install. They're supplied as is. Plus, it's also vanilla Debian. That's why using polished distros makes sense (SolydXK as one of the very best ones). Otherwise we'll be using plain Debian instead.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 27 Apr 2015 12:34

I belive Snap is right, it depends on the distro. Debian is more of a "base" to build distros from (like Ubuntu, Mint, and of coures our all-time favorite, SolydXK). I think the developers at Debian are too busy getting the distro itself ready and don't have the time/resources/people to work on customization. They leave that up to individual distros.

xendistar:

You mention LXDE. Debian does have it's own installer on their iso/CD now. Has anyone tried it yet? I haven't but would be insteresting to see what people think of it. LXDE might just be a distro that needs a little more work. Actual official Debian may be different.

On a side note: I believe Microsoft is providing the WINE for the party. :) (Unofficially, of course!) Just Kidding! LOL! But given they did throw a REAL release party for Debian, I couldn't resist saying this when you mentioned having a glass of Wine. :D

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 27 Apr 2015 12:53

RavenLX wrote:<snip>
xendistar:
You mention LXDE. Debian does have it's own installer on their iso/CD now. Has anyone tried it yet? I haven't but would be insteresting to see what people think of it. LXDE might just be a distro that needs a little more work. Actual official Debian may be different.

On a side note: I believe Microsoft is providing the WINE for the party. :) (Unofficially, of course!) Just Kidding! LOL! But given they did throw a REAL release party for Debian, I couldn't resist saying this when you mentioned having a glass of Wine. :D
That is the installer I downloaded, it is a live distro which you can install from, did not have an issue with the installation other than the Wifi and onboard ATI card, it all went as one would expect, but both those items I would expect Debian to pick-up. Fully understand what you mean about the Debian GUI side of things (or the lack of), it is such a shame, while it would put and end to a lot of Debian based Distros like SolydXK, I am pretty sure the Debian would be a killer distro out of the box if they worked on the bling spit and polish side of the distro.

The wine came from Sainburys and out of my pocket :lol:

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 27 Apr 2015 13:33

For some unknown reason I've never had any success with Debian's live dvds on my hardware. I always wind up with broken X (no screens found). I have been historically too lazy to get to the bottom of it, and after a few days tinkering I just decided, as Snap said, that it's just plain easier to use a live dvd from a polished distro, Solyd in my case....

For the record, Debian's install dvds always work fine for me.

debian-8.0.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.0 ... 4/iso-dvd/

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 27 Apr 2015 14:48

xendistar wrote:Fully understand what you mean about the Debian GUI side of things (or the lack of), it is such a shame, while it would put and end to a lot of Debian based Distros like SolydXK, I am pretty sure the Debian would be a killer distro out of the box if they worked on the bling spit and polish side of the distro.
I agree on both points. But one distro can't do it all. Which is a good thing Linux is community-based. What one don't have the ability to do, others can pick up on. It's like... imagine if the Linux Kernel Developers were tasked with making a "work out of the box" GUI based distro, AND embedded systems AND servers AND Android AND... (you get the idea). I think having different communities take on different tasks is the only way we got as far as we have. I'm just glad there IS a Debian (and a new one) that we can build SolydXK from. They do some of the work for us at Debian, in a sense and we do some of the work for them, by polishing it up. Kinda like Legos. They build blocks and the kids (young and old) build the structures and diaramas. :)
xendistar wrote:The wine came from Sainburys and out of my pocket :lol:
Enjoy! :)

@fleabus: I think I tried a Debian Wheezy live installer awhile back in a VM to see what it's be like and if I really needed SolydXK. Obviously, it was very clear to me that I REALLY need SolydXK. :) If I were to tweak Debian, I guess I'd have come up with a distro. And with SolydXK around there's no reason to re-invent the wheel.

Thanks for the links though. I may give it a try (again out of curiosity more than anything). But I am sure sticking to SolydK for my PC and laptop. Like many here (and I guess I'm a bit biased myself), I too think SolydXK is the best distro out there.

But Debian is a great base to start from.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 27 Apr 2015 15:57

RavenLX wrote:Obviously, it was very clear to me that I REALLY need SolydXK. :)
Definitely, me too! I still have the Wheezy(Xfce) install, and it was fun to play with, Heck, it's even usable out of the box. But as you say, there is a ton of config from bare Debian to a "sweet spot". Gotta have my Solyd! :D

Edit:

How unbelievably cheesy! I forget myself.... :oops:

@Schoelje, Thank You So Much! :mrgreen:

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”