apt policy - where from?

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
just

apt policy - where from?

Postby just » 12 Jul 2015 13:25

Where apt's "policy" command/operation is coming from?

"apt policy" is very handy. I use it frequently in SolydK and LMDE. But in native Debian, siduction, Tanglu "apt policy" returns the "Invalid operation policy" error.

All five distros have the same version of the "apt" package installed - 1.0.9.8.

In LMDE, Debian, siduction, Tanglu "man apt" doesn't mention "policy" operation.

My SolydK64_201506 Stable apparently has the "man" command broken:

Code: Select all

$ man cp
pager: error while loading shared libraries: libpcre.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
man: command exited with status 127: (cd /home/just && LESS=-ix8RmPm Manual page cp(1) ?ltline %lt?L/%L.:byte %bB?s/%s..?e (END):?pB %pB\%.. (press h for help or q to quit)$PM Manual page cp(1) ?ltline %lt?L/%L.:byte %bB?s/%s..?e (END):?pB %pB\%.. (press h for help or q to quit)$ MAN_PN=cp(1) pager -s)
$ 
Why "apt policy" works in SolydXK and LMDE, but not in Debian, siduction, Tanglu? Is there a (simple) way to make it work in the last three? Does it depend on APT's configuration?

Can't find a satisfactory answers on the web. Maybe somebody in this forum knows how to make it work? Thank you.

grizzler

Re: apt policy - where from?

Postby grizzler » 12 Jul 2015 13:37

If I'm not mistaken, the Python script 'apt' (located in /usr/local/bin) was originally created by Mint's Clement Lefebvre. The version in SolydXK was modified by Arjen. It's provided by the solydxk-system package.
The policy operation is actually an apt-cache command.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 12 Jul 2015 13:44

Correct this is ^

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

just

Postby just » 12 Jul 2015 13:50

Oh, I see. The situation is cleared. Thank you, Frank and Arjen.

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”