Evolution email in XBE

Questions specific to SolydX Business Edition
desowers

Evolution email in XBE

Postby desowers » 01 Jun 2014 10:41

Really wanted to install XBE on my desktop. I did that, and all looked good.

My email is through evolution and so I installed.

Ran evolution for the first time and wanted to do a restore of my evolution data. No go. It goes through the motions of installing the data but never writes to the disk.

Tried different things to make it work even to install on the live disk but same thing.

Back to X for now and installed evolution and ran evolution and did a restore and works great. ??

Ideas??

Thanks, Don

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Evolution email in XBE

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Jun 2014 16:25

It seems you wanted to restore Evolution data from a newer Evolution version (SolydX?) to an older Evolution version (SolydXBE).

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

desowers

Postby desowers » 01 Jun 2014 19:57

Thank you! I forgot to check and yes you are correct. Duh! Regards, Don :oops:

desowers

Postby desowers » 01 Jun 2014 23:51

I really hate to be a pain but the upgrades come in tar.xz files and I have tried to work with them but everything I try, I come up short somewhere.

I can extract the files into a folder ( I made a folder in my Downloads folder and extracted it there) but I cannot make it run.

The command line and me are most of the time at odds but this is beyond me. Can someone do a step by step (not leap to leap) instruction? All on the web make it look easy.

Thanks in advance, Don

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 02 Jun 2014 00:00

No worries about being "a pain" - we just want to help you get the greatest experience from your install that you can.

So, specifically, what are you downloading? What is the URL from which you are downloading? This will give us a better idea of from where you are starting.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

desowers

Postby desowers » 02 Jun 2014 01:00

Thanks Scott. I will try and explain. I have wanted to jump into Debian stable for some time but all Solyd had was KDEBE. Now with XBE out I thought I would give it a try. So a problem came up immediately when I want to use my backup when configuring Evolution.

I found that I am needing to update the Evolution software because the version on my newly installed XBE (Stable) is 3.4.4 and what is on the standard X (Debian Testing) 64 bit is 3.8.5 that I backed up from to install on XBE. This situation will not let me start the XBE Evolution from the backup.

I downloaded Evolution-3.12.2.tar.xz from softpedia here:
http://linux.softpedia.com/dyn-postdown ... 73&t=0&i=1

I must be missing a step somewhere or not doing something right because I cannot get it to run. I have run flavors of Linux since 2006 but the command line is not my strong suit by far. Like I said in the other post is the files are extracted okay but what to do now?

Thanks, Don

desowers

Postby desowers » 02 Jun 2014 09:28

After sleeping on the issue, not willing to spend a lot of time, and also trying Thunderbird without sucess (other issues), I have decided to go back to X 64 bit (Debian Testing). I can see why there are advantages to using testing.

Thanks for all the advise and help, Don

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 21 Jul 2014 19:41

I know your post is old and it sounds like you went back to the Home edition... but here are a couple of thoughts for you. Did you look at the Debian Stable backports to see if they had a newer version available? Its not usually recommended to install newer backported versions of the software onto the older base, but I think in the case of single programs you should be ok. That would be my first step. Other debian stable based distros might also offer the evolution package you are looking for.

Finally, you may need to just use the Home edition until the new XBE comes out after Jessie freezes. Hopefully, the SolydXK team will put forward a Business Edition of both X and K during the freeze so that people running the home editions can make a seamless transition to the Business Edition if they desire.

Return to “SolydX Business Edition”