Dual SSD Raid 0 crazytown revisited, lol

Questions specific to SolydX Business Edition
GNUday

Dual SSD Raid 0 crazytown revisited, lol

Postby GNUday » 06 Jun 2014 10:55

I need step by step expert advice, this is the plan...*unfolds map like gangster in dark smokey basement meeting place*, lol...

Install base Debian stable on my Raid (with an actual Debian net install disk), change repos to SolydX BE, get keyring(s), install SolydX BE packages (artwork, settings, etc). I know I visited this before, but that was with the 'testing' level of the home edition, I luuuuuvvvvv stable, don't really care for the testing 'ride'.

Step by step, exactly what packages and in what order...puhleeeeeeze... :?

Edit: I chose to keep my existing Debian stable install (with stable dmo and stable bpo enabled) and layer SolydX BE on top of it, I am mentioning this because it's contrary to the aforementioned plan above. :oops:
AMD FX-8350, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.0), 2 Intel 520 Series 120GB SSDs, 2 Seagate storage HDDs, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3, Asus Radeon R7 250, Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition case, 750W Tt Toughpower Gold PSU...running no systemd PCLinuxOS

GNUday

Re: Dual SSD Raid 0 crazytown revisited, lol

Postby GNUday » 07 Jun 2014 14:11

Progress so far...
Left dmo and bpo (both stable) enabled...cutting and pasting in to Synaptic quick search field from an installed-software list...

Code: Select all

dpkg --get-selections > installed-software
...created during a live boot of SolydX BE (it gets written to the live-user home directory), to keep track where I am and between reboots, I save the 'shrinking' file to a drive separate from the Raid, I reboot occasionally to test, etc. Obviously things like live-* are not needed in an installed system, you get the picture.

Edit: Note; If you do the cut/paste like I do, do not include the arch' designation, i.e. ":amd64" and ":i386".

Installed some of the solydxbe packages (avoiding grub and plymouth on purpose, I can't risk having grub trashed). Below is a list of packages I am having trouble with (like samba asking to remove tons of dmo multimedia progs, etc) but not too concerned because I barely, if ever, use them;

pulseaudio
pulseaudio-module-x11
pulseaudio-utils
samba
samba-common
samba-common-bin
sambashare

...after I am done 'cherry picking' packages, I will do a...
(sudo or as root)

apt-get dist-upgrade -u
Hopefully this will 'level the playing field' (I may not bother with the above step to avoid a possible breakage and Update Manager, etc, are working fine already). Aside from the above hiccups, this seems to be working, it would probably work much better without existing dmo and bpo stable repos pre-enabled, but this way I get the best of all 'worlds', I'm running kernel 3.14-0.bpo.1-amd64.

What I do need to know is, how important are solydxbe-artwork and solydxbe-system-adjustments? There is a glitch with the artwork package...

kerplunk@gemini:/$ sudo apt-get install solydxbe-artwork
[sudo] password for kerplunk: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  solydxbe-artwork
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/2,414 kB of archives.
After this operation, 5,936 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Selecting previously unselected package solydxbe-artwork.
(Reading database ... 233366 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking solydxbe-artwork (from .../solydxbe-artwork_1.0.6_all.deb) ...
Adding 'diversion of /usr/share/icons/oxygen/16x16/actions/help-contents.png to /usr/share/icons/oxygen/16x16/actions/help-contents.png.divert by solydxbe-artwork'
Adding 'diversion of /usr/share/icons/oxygen/22x22/actions/help-contents.png to /usr/share/icons/oxygen/22x22/actions/help-contents.png.divert by solydxbe-artwork'
Adding 'diversion of /usr/share/icons/oxygen/32x32/actions/help-contents.png to /usr/share/icons/oxygen/32x32/actions/help-contents.png.divert by solydxbe-artwork'
Adding 'diversion of /usr/share/icons/oxygen/48x48/actions/help-contents.png to /usr/share/icons/oxygen/48x48/actions/help-contents.png.divert by solydxbe-artwork'
Adding 'diversion of /usr/share/icons/oxygen/16x16/categories/applications-other.png to /usr/share/icons/oxygen/16x16/categories/applications-other.png.divert by solydxbe-artwork'
Adding 'diversion of /usr/share/icons/oxygen/22x22/categories/applications-other.png to /usr/share/icons/oxygen/22x22/categories/applications-other.png.divert by solydxbe-artwork'
Adding 'diversion of /usr/share/icons/oxygen/32x32/categories/applications-other.png to /usr/share/icons/oxygen/32x32/categories/applications-other.png.divert by solydxbe-artwork'
Adding 'diversion of /usr/share/icons/oxygen/48x48/categories/applications-other.png to /usr/share/icons/oxygen/48x48/categories/applications-other.png.divert by solydxbe-artwork'
Adding 'diversion of /usr/share/icons/oxygen/64x64/categories/applications-other.png to /usr/share/icons/oxygen/64x64/categories/applications-other.png.divert by solydxbe-artwork'
Adding 'diversion of /usr/share/icons/oxygen/128x128/categories/applications-other.png to /usr/share/icons/oxygen/128x128/categories/applications-other.png.divert by solydxbe-artwork'
Processing triggers for fontconfig ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
Setting up solydxbe-artwork (1.0.6) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/solydxbe-artwork.postinst: 159: /var/lib/dpkg/info/solydxbe-artwork.postinst: glib-compile-schemas: not found
dpkg: error processing solydxbe-artwork (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 127
Errors were encountered while processing:
 solydxbe-artwork
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
kerplunk@gemini:/$
Watch this space...
AMD FX-8350, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.0), 2 Intel 520 Series 120GB SSDs, 2 Seagate storage HDDs, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3, Asus Radeon R7 250, Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition case, 750W Tt Toughpower Gold PSU...running no systemd PCLinuxOS

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 08 Jun 2014 02:47

Progress update!

After completing the very lengthy aforementioned installed-software text file list (including libs, some were missing from my now former Debian install), solydxbe-system-adjustments and solydxbe-artwork installed OK. Now if I can just troubleshoot samba and cups...working on it. :?

Oh, one more thing, after HOURS of cutting and pasting, gradually layering SolydX BE on my Debian stable...

apt-get dist-upgrade -u
returned this...

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
:shock: :D

Again, I skipped anything plymouth or grub (and a lot of drivers and firmware I'll never need or use), plymouth and grub can be very fragile when attempting something like this, I learned that the hard way many experiments ago. Other than those, I pretty much have a SolydX BE system on my Raid 0 now. Nirvana is never out of reach, lol. ;) :D

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 08 Jun 2014 03:25

This is too funny, found this logging in to my root account for schizz & giggles...

Click on the pic after it loads to go full size...

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 08 Jun 2014 04:11

I did it, it was much smoother and easier than trying to convert to the 'home' edition from Debian testing (Jessie), you can't beat Debian stable, or anything based on it, it's rock solid, it even kicks the butt of other Linux 'OS' that have corporate backing, oh the irony, lol.

Click on the pic after it loads to go full size...

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 08 Jun 2014 05:37

I got the printer working again, re-installed cups, re-installed the proprietary Brother driver (it requires ia32-libs or lib32stdc++, ia32-libs delivered a dependency issue but lib32stdc++6 was already installed). As for samba and pulse-audio, if I want to get them working, I'll have to dump dmo and bpo repos, there's a lot of version/dependency issues involved, directly related to dmo and bpo, if I try to install samba, Synaptic wants uninstall many other programs conflicting with a samba install. Luckily I can live without pulse audio and samba.

This is what happens in Synaptic when I try to install Samba...
Nasty-Samba-In-Synaptic-DMO-BPO-Conflicts.png

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 08 Jun 2014 06:35

2 more packages that conflict with dmo/bpo versions...libnss-winbind and libpam-winbind.

When you think about it, that's only 9 out of several thousand, and I can live without them, I would much rather keep my multimedia apps (dmo) and bleeding edge kernel (bpo), lol. :oops: :shock: :D

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 08 Jun 2014 11:05

first of all thanks for the detailed feedback :) it's always a pleasure to read these kind of posts; although this is was not the target user of the BE's is interesting to see them being deployed this way.

second: it's also interesting (tho odd) those dependency problems; it makes us think that the decision not to include neither DMO nor BPO was not bad after all :mrgreen:
bliss of ignorance

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 08 Jun 2014 12:17

zerozero wrote:first of all thanks for the detailed feedback :) it's always a pleasure to read these kind of posts; although this is was not the target user of the BE's is interesting to see them being deployed this way.

second: it's also interesting (tho odd) those dependency problems; it makes us think that the decision not to include neither DMO nor BPO was not bad after all :mrgreen:
No, thank you, I had a blast doing this and now I finally have what I wanted all along, a very stable SolydX BE on my Raid 0. Btw, if this thread is somewhat inappropriate in this section, feel free to move it. :D

As for excluding dmo and bpo, I totally agree, in a mission critical environment, glitches and hiccups of any kind are never welcome. :geek:

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 10 Jun 2014 01:51

I am contemplating doing a complete re-install, but no dmo or bpo this time, just a standard Wheezy Xfce Raid 0 with no cups (cups will come from the SolydX BE repo when 'layering' on SolydX BE), I really honestly don't need all the frills, you have DeVeDe and VLC in your repos anyway, and I install Clementine (1.2.x) directly from a gdebi downloaded from the Clementine site. The ultimate goal is a 'stock' SolydX BE on my Raid 0, it will happen, I make things happen, lol. :mrgreen:

A little clarification of how I arrived at this juncture, I am a former KDE fan that fell in love with Xfce and Debian stable, what you fine folks did is create a distro with tons of pre-configuration, something Debian totally lacks, that's where SolydX BE comes in, hope that cleared things up, lol.

Watch this space...

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 10 Jun 2014 19:04

Or...I could just disable dmo and bpo and wait for SolydX BE to 'catch up' to my 'foreign' packages/versions, since everything is working. Just a thought, just an option. :? :geek:

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 10 Jun 2014 20:56

wheezy won't catch up with version number, not until it is promoted to jessie;
i honestly have no idea how frequently DMO-stable is updated but i would disable BPO (from there i know that you can get frequent updates) and would enable it only in a "need-this-new-feature" basis.
bliss of ignorance

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 10 Jun 2014 21:17

zerozero wrote:wheezy won't catch up with version number, not until it is promoted to jessie;
i honestly have no idea how frequently DMO-stable is updated but i would disable BPO (from there i know that you can get frequent updates) and would enable it only in a "need-this-new-feature" basis.
I disabled both and am downgrading what won't cause any major breakages or disruptions (to speed up the 'levelling' process). It's working so far. I do want to do the total 'stock' re-install thing eventually but I need my computer working at the moment (job hunting sucks :( ).

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 11 Jun 2014 01:08

Not only did I manage to successfully downgrade many packages (disable and eliminate bpo and dmo), I was able to install ALL 9 trouble making packages previously mentioned in this thread, I would call it a success. Why am I so happy about this? Because re-installing is a PAIN, getting everything they way I like all over again, phew, dodged that bullet. :mrgreen: :geek:

*Doin' the happy dance* SolydX BE on my dual SSD Raid 0 :shock: , now I need to build a new machine, lol, this one only has SATA2 ports :( , the SSDs are SATA3 capable :? (future 1GB/s read/write with my setup). :D

Edit: I know these pics are probably getting boring by now but I have this insane need to show proof, lol :oops: , click on the pic after it loads to go full size...

Return to “SolydX Business Edition”