Network Management

Questions specific to SolydX Business Edition
mhwelsh

Network Management

Postby mhwelsh » 09 Jun 2014 16:47

My apologies if I am double posting.

Solydxbe - difficulties typing characters into Network Manager.
I operate manual ip settings.
When manual settings selected and add ip address is on the screen the keyboard does not operate.

As far as I can see it is restricted to Network Manager when inserting any data about manual ip settings.

martin welsh

mhwelsh

Re: Network Management

Postby mhwelsh » 16 Jun 2014 19:04

After much head scratching and fiddling I fumbled across a repair.
Any explanations will be gratefully received.

If you try and select a manual ip address(I only use wireless) it is not possible to enter any characters to specify either the ip address or any dns server addresses. If you don't believe me try it - it will not break anything.

The solution is;
Select the DNS server window,
Right click on the 'flashiing' cursor and a drop down window with a label marked input methods appears. There is a second label but I cannot remember what it says.
The input method highlighted with a radio button marked 'System' is selected and not only is the DNS server window enabled but so are the ip particulars.

The question now is how do I get rid of the Wicd Manager on the start panel?

He ho

martin welsh

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 17 Jun 2014 14:03

mhwelsh wrote: The question now is how do I get rid of the Wicd Manager on the start panel?

He ho

martin welsh
Have you looked to Settings Manager > Session and Startup > Application Autostart
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Zill

Postby Zill » 17 Jun 2014 18:52

mhwelsh wrote:...The question now is how do I get rid of the Wicd Manager on the start panel?
NetworkManager (network-manager) and Wicd (wicd) cannot co-exist on the same system. Once you have decided which connection manager you wish to use, you need to remove all the packages relating to the unwanted manager. I suggest Synaptic is the best tool for this as it will show all other associated packages for each manager.

See Debian Wiki WiFi HowToUse

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 18 Jun 2014 15:13

Thanks for replying.

I have removed references to wicd from the Session Startup.

I installed, having first removed Network Manager, wicd in an effort to get the internet connected. Wicd was largely removed before Network Manager was restored and I 'came across' the cure.
I deduce that none of you have tried setting dhcp to manual to see whether you can reproduce the symptoms so we still don't know whether the problem is fumble fingers Welsh or there is a gremlin in the coding.

I have written to the inventors of wicd to see whether they can come up with a cure.

martin welsh

Zill

Postby Zill » 18 Jun 2014 15:44

mhwelsh wrote:...Wicd was largely removed before Network Manager was restored and I 'came across' the cure.
I deduce that none of you have tried setting dhcp to manual to see whether you can reproduce the symptoms so we still don't know whether the problem is fumble fingers Welsh or there is a gremlin in the coding.
If I read this correctly you are now running Network Manager so I do not understand why you "have written to the inventors of wicd to see whether they can come up with a cure."

Network Manager and Wicd are totally different applications so please clarify which application you require help with and what exactly you wish to do.

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 18 Jun 2014 18:09

As previously stated although wicd has been uninstalled and replaced by Network Manager an icon still appears in the Internet section of the start menu. That is what I would like to get rid off.

martin welsh

Zill

Postby Zill » 18 Jun 2014 18:34

mhwelsh: Wicd generally consists of four packages, all of which need to be removed to ensure that all parts of Wicd, including the menu entry, are removed. Ideally these four packages should be purged (completely removed) but you may find simple removal is enough.

When Wicd is properly installed, if you open the Synaptic Package Manager and enter "wicd" in the "Quick filter" box, you should see the following four packages marked as installed:

Code: Select all

wicd
wicd-gtk
python-wicd
wicd-daemon
As you seem to have some remnants of Wicd remaining, I suggest you use Synaptic to remove any and all of these packages that are still marked as installed. For your reference please see a screendump of my system showing Synaptic with Wicd installed.

p.s. Note that I am using SolydX and so if you are using SolydK you will need to remove wicd-kde rather than wicd-gtk.
wicd.png

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 19 Jun 2014 14:34

Synaptic has no wicd entries.
Enquiries using apt and dpkg all indicate total absence.
I await reports from the inventors.

martin welsh

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 19 Jun 2014 14:37

Did you check the directory ~/.local/share/applications to see if it contains a .desktop file for wicd?
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

Zill

Postby Zill » 19 Jun 2014 15:42

grizzler wrote:Did you check the directory ~/.local/share/applications to see if it contains a .desktop file for wicd?
A good point but, on my SolydX system, wicd is installed at system level, rather than locally. A quick check reveals that a wicd.desktop file exists in three locations:

roger@dino:~$ locate wicd.desktop
/usr/share/app-install/desktop/wicd.desktop
/usr/share/applications/wicd.desktop
/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/menu-xdg/X-Debian-Applications-Network-Monitoring-wicd.desktop
I suggest that the OP removes each of these wicd.desktop files as root...

sudo rm /usr/share/app-install/desktop/wicd.desktop
sudo rm /usr/share/applications/wicd.desktop
sudo rm /var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/menu-xdg/X-Debian-Applications-Network-Monitoring-wicd.desktop

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 19 Jun 2014 16:03

Normally, the only .desktop files that can show up as menu items are the ones in /usr/share/applications and ~/.local/share/applications (which will be /root/.local/share/applications in the unlikely event the user has logged on as root). Any such file in the first location is the default one, as provided by the package. The second location contains copies that are created when the user changes a menu item. If he never does that, no copy will exist in the second location.

Usually, if an application is removed, the file in /usr/share/applications is removed as well. The one in ~/.local/share/applications however isn't, because package management isn't allowed to touch a user's home directory. This can lead to applications still showing up in the menu after they have been removed.

The /usr/share/app-install/... and /var/lib/menu-xdg/... locations are never directly involved with building the actual menu, so it doesn't matter if a wicd.desktop file exists there.

Edit: there is actually a third possible 'menu location': /usr/local/share/applications, but I've never seen this in use in any distribution I've used.
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 19 Jun 2014 16:57

grizzler wrote:The /usr/share/app-install/... and /var/lib/menu-xdg/... locations are never directly involved with building the actual menu, so it doesn't matter if a wicd.desktop file exists there.
I thought so too, but now I'm not that certain anymore. While I was testing the new KDE (http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4127), I had to adapt LO's math.desktop in the xdg directory to prevent it showing up in three (!) different places in the menu. Maybe a "new feature"?

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 19 Jun 2014 17:56

Odd. I was under the impression the stuff in /var/lib/menu-xdg was something that predated the freedesktop.org menu system. It certainly isn't part of it. I've never been able to find any reference to it in the freedesktop.org docs, but I do remember reading something about it ages ago, when I was trying to make sense of the menu system.

All the files appear to have a Categories entry that starts with X-Debian (X- always means 'not part of the official standard') so they should never show up anywhere that isn't part of a 'Debian menu' (as opposed to a KDE menu or an Xfce menu). In fact, a quick web search shows up this, which seems to confirm that. If I read that correctly, /var/lib/menu-xdg shouldn't even be there (but I only glanced at it, so I could be wrong...).
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 19 Jun 2014 18:57

Doubting myself, I checked again, and you're right.
I was mistaken by this directory: /usr/lib/libreoffice/share/xdg
Apperently, this is also being used by the menu, and had to adapt the math.desktop file.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Zill

Postby Zill » 19 Jun 2014 19:14

grizzler/Schoelje: Thanks for the additional input. I think the best advice for the OP is simply to run a locate command to find out exactly where wicd.desktop file(s) reside on his system and then zap each one in turn!

locate wicd.desktop

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 20 Jun 2014 15:49

Thanks for all of the input.
wicd or wicd-gtk files are not in any of the proposed locations.

Entering 'locate' wicd-gtk produces 22 entries where a file is claimed to be located. Many of them are pie in the sky so what 'locate' is seeing I do not know.

locate wicd.desktop 
produces a further 3 other locations.

One of these which does exist, /usr/share/applications/wicd.desktop, proves to be the offending icon that has now been removed.

Thanks for all of the encouragement.

Is there a bug in Network Manager?

martin welsh

Zill

Postby Zill » 20 Jun 2014 16:21

mhwelsh wrote:...Entering 'locate' wicd-gtk produces 22 entries where a file is claimed to be located. Many of them are pie in the sky so what 'locate' is seeing I do not know.
This implies that all the wicd packages (including wicd-gtk) were not correctly removed and so left some files behind. If you wish, these files could be manually deleted. However, as you have now found and removed the offending wicd.desktop entry I guess you are happy with your menu. ;-)
mhwelsh wrote:...Is there a bug in Network Manager?
Presumably you are referring to your first post in this thread. As I do not use Network Manager on my SolydX system I will leave other users to comment on this one.

Return to “SolydX Business Edition”