Security Updates and BE

Questions specific to SolydX Business Edition
Rocky

Security Updates and BE

Postby Rocky » 07 Aug 2014 21:48

In view of the ongoing discussion at the "What is Solyd, really" thread I am trying to clarify the position regarding security updates and BE - felt it was better to ask this question here.

Debian Stable (Wheezy) gets security updates in the normal course of events - so long as the user runs an "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade" periodically. Does the same apply to SolydXK BE or are security updates supplied on a different schedule. Does the update manager (UM) provide security updates on BE - if so have the recent issues with UM had any effect on this ?

I note for example that the sources list for BE do not point directly at Debian repos but rather at SolydXK repos ( would it not be simpler and also less work to point the sources list directly at Debian with only SolydXK own software updated from SolydXK repos ? :? )

Rocky
"All that glisters is not gold" - Shakespeare "The Merchant of Venice"

Fargo

Re: Security Updates and BE

Postby Fargo » 07 Aug 2014 22:52

I can only answer as a user, but from my experience it seems I get security updates nearly daily with the business edition. The business edition has been very solid and has not had any of the UP issues that the rolling edition has had. However, I am using the very first iso release of the business edition. At that time it pointed directly to Debian. So my security sources are still directly pointing to Debian. I do believe that you are correct and the later iso have the sources pointed to SolydXK repos instead. I don't remember the reasoning for doing this though. I am surprised however that they did not include a script that would have changed my sources over.

By the way, I have never run apt-get anything. I just update via UM.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 14 Aug 2014 06:48

Our security repository is updated daily. We chose for our own repositories because we needed the flexibility to change the repositories, or extend its lifespan if needed.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 14 Aug 2014 15:41

Schoelje wrote:Our security repository is updated daily. We chose for our own repositories because we needed the flexibility to change the repositories, or extend its lifespan if needed.
That makes sense. It would make it really easy to let SolydXK BE following Debian into extended support if they continue with their newly announced LTS model.

That brings up the thought that maybe the Business Editions should be called Extended Support Edition... SolydXK ES...

Return to “SolydX Business Edition”