Anyone using radiotray?

Questions about software.
THN

Anyone using radiotray?

Postby THN » 16 Jun 2018 16:12

I was happy to find radiotray in the sources, but I doesn't work. It only shows a greyish icon in the systray and refuses to respond to mouse commands. I think this issue is already known from other KDE distros, but here I can't find what needs to be done.
I have checked for some python and gstreamer packages, but don't see what's missing.

Here is the console log if that tells something to anyone...

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/radiotray/XmlDataProvider.py:23: PyGIWarning: Gtk was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('Gtk', '3.0') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.                                                   
  from gi.repository import Gtk                                                                               
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/radiotray/AudioPlayerGStreamer.py:64: FutureWarning: The behavior of this method will change in future versions. Use specific 'len(elem)' or 'elem is not None' test instead.                                                                                      
  if(cfg_provider._settingExists("buffer_size")):                                                                             
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/radiotray/SysTray.py:100: PyGIWarning: AppIndicator3 was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('AppIndicator3', '0.1') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.                                                                      
  from gi.repository import AppIndicator3                                                                                                       
Sleep Timer, Stops playing after a predefined time, SleepTimerPlugin.py, Carlos Ribeiro                                                             
StationSwitcher, Allows cycling through stations, StationSwitcherPlugin.py, Mark F                                                                     
HelloWorld, This is a test plugin, HelloWorld.py, Carlos Ribeiro                                                                                           
started                                                                                                                                                       
Notifications, Shows message notifications on the desktop, NotificationPlugin.py, Carlos Ribeiro                                                                 
/usr/share/radiotray/plugins/NotificationPlugin.py:25: PyGIWarning: Notify was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('Notify', '0.7') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.                                                                                                                 
  from gi.repository import Notify                                                                                                                                    
Mate Media Keys, Controls Radio Tray through keyboard multimedia keys, MateMediaKeysPlugin.py, Ken                                                                       
Gnome Media Keys, Controls Radio Tray through keyboard multimedia keys, GnomeMediaKeysPlugin.py, Carlos Ribeiro                                                            
History, Shows song history, HistoryPlugin.py, Carlos Ribeiro
I am also attaching the log from running

Code: Select all

strace radiotray > radiotray.log 2>&1
radiotray.tar.gz
(71.47 KiB) Downloaded 112 times

smitty1

Re: Anyone using radiotray?

Postby smitty1 » 16 Jun 2018 16:44

I have the same problem as THN

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

wildman

Postby wildman » 17 Jun 2018 16:58

From the error messages THN posted, it looks like there is a backwards compatibility problem with the python script. Sometimes a script that is written and tested for a certain version of python will no longer work with next release of python. I believe that is what happened here. Backwards compatibility is not always a priority for the devs.

Next week, as time permits, I will install the program and have a look at the script(s). No promises but I might be able to fix the problem. At least, I will try. I will try to post something back by the end of the week.
Wildman
May the Source be with you.

THN

Postby THN » 18 Jun 2018 16:54

That'll be super, wildman. Thanks a bunch!
THN

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 18 Jun 2018 17:03

Radiotray has been working on my system without any issues for years, so I don't think installing it on SolydX will help people having problems on SolydK. The warnings in the console are just that - warnings. I see them here as well (in ~/.xsession-errors) and the application still runs. The radiotray.log doesn't show anything close to what THN is seeing, just lots of debug/status messages, mostly about what song is playing.

I seem to remember there was a problem with a missing dependency that wasn't in the dependency list years ago. Searching the web does bring up several hits. Is python-appindicator installed?
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

wildman

Postby wildman » 20 Jun 2018 20:08

@grizzler: You are right. I'm not sure what I was thinking. A Python warning is not a fatal error and would not keep the program from working. I did install radiotray here and it is working.

@THN: I spoke without thinking. An edit of the python scripts will not fix your problem, however, I affirm grizzler's suggestion to check for python-appindicator.
Wildman
May the Source be with you.

THN

Postby THN » 20 Jun 2018 21:16

I had checked for that already in the first place.
It is indeed installed
app.jpg
app.jpg (99.53 KiB) Viewed 4944 times
Please note that I'm on KDE, not XFCE

mazzinia

Postby mazzinia » 21 Jun 2018 12:29

There's a newer version of radiotray , in the form of a fork

https://github.com/ebruck/radiotray-ng

Not sure how plug and play this one is, for our systems, anyway. on i386 , the 0.2.1 doesn't install due to a library version.
I suspect we may have to recompile everything for each architecture

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 21 Jun 2018 18:25

The libboost-filesystem packages available in Debian are not in sync with what the radiotray-ng package wants, for version 0.2.1 as well as 0.2.2. I'm not sure we could work around that, compiling from source. If I had the time, I could probably find out... :?
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

THN

Postby THN » 25 Jun 2018 12:06

@grizzler

Thanks a lot for your comments, but I'm not sure what you are saying... why is radiotray in the sources if it doesn't work? Or is it supposed to work (on the current/latest release of Solyd KDE) but something might be wrong with my install? Or it only works with XFCE but not with KDE? What's the way out?

Sorry but I'm confused here,,, :?

THN

ilu

Postby ilu » 25 Jun 2018 12:49

THN wrote:
25 Jun 2018 12:06
Or it only works with XFCE but not with KDE?
Looks like. Since radiotray uses GTK it was probably made for Gnome/XFCE/some other GTK desktop. KDE uses QT, not GTK. There's a lot of programs in the repo that are optimized for one desktop only - even if you manage to get it to work, it might not be a good idea. If I would install an applet meant for KDE on SolydX I would have to install half the KDE desktop with it. Is there nothing similar for KDE? Look for something where the name starts with either Q or K (rule of thumb). Or switch to SolydX :-)

It might still be possible to get it to work on KDE but we can't help with the debugging, since wildman, grizzler and me are on SolydX.

grizzler's last comment only referred to the radiotray-gn mentioned by mazzinia.

Edit: Or have a look at https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2159022

THN

Postby THN » 29 Jun 2018 20:16

Unfortunately I don't even get a popup when clicking on the radiotray icon.
It's just plain dead.
Thanks anyways
THN

THN

Postby THN » 20 Sep 2018 10:55

So here is a pretty nice alternative which works well on SolydK:
https://sites.google.com/site/glrpgreat ... sion-1-4-5

The list of stations (~/.config/glrp/stations.csv) is a bit overwhelming, and many seem to be dead. But due to the convenient csv format you can edit the list offline with LibreOffice Calc and/or port your stations over from radiotray's XML format (~/.local/share/radiotray/bookmarks.xml)
Note however that while a link to a m3u playlist is a supported station format in radiotray, it is not in glrp. You would need to download the m3u and inspect the inside. It should contain the address to a mp3 stream.

Hope you enjoy and good luck,

THN

Return to “Software”