[SOLVED] Dolphin is slow to show files and folders

Questions about software.
SolydForEver

[SOLVED] Dolphin is slow to show files and folders

Postby SolydForEver » 03 Jun 2020 14:33

Hello all,
My neighbor asked me to look at her laptop cause she had some things which were not as they should be.
One of them is the KDE file manager Dolphin. When I open the program it shows the main window in 1 second (fast), it shows the files and folders maybe a second later (still okay) but then.... there are small drawings on the folder pictograms and they show up a whole lot later. Originally I had the preview mode (which show small pictures on the folder icons to reflect what is in that folder) setup but that made us completely throw up. It takes about 30 seconds before they are all visible, they appear one folder at a time.
Until that proces has stopped you can't use Dolphin cause it responds to nothing.
Now I don't use Preview but still the program is very very slow.

The laptop has an i5 M480 4-core @2.67GHz processor, 4GB ram and a fast 600MB/s SSD. The graphics GPU is an Nvidia GT218M [GeForce 310M]
The software Solydxk-10 10 is fully updated.

Who has an idea what this might be?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Dolphin is slow to show files and folders

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 03 Jun 2020 15:38

Available HD space (check KDiskFree)?
Faulty HD (check in gparted in a live session)?
Memory issues (check free -m and top)?

Close Dolphin and move this file away:
~/.config/dolphinrc

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ilu

Postby ilu » 03 Jun 2020 17:04

Something slows the system down. It's not necessarily dolphin. Is any other program running? Additionally to what Arjen recommended you could open htop or top while it happens and see whether any other process is taking cpu or memory..I would also check the ~/.xsession-errors file to see if anything wonky happens there. And it can't hurt to check journalctl -p 3 -x for good measure.

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 03 Jun 2020 17:30

Hello Arjen, thank you again for your help.

KDiskFree shows:
/dev/sda1 (system disk) uses 33% of 31GB disk space
/dev/sda3 (/home) uses 23% of 422GB disk space
So, enough space I would say.

free -m shows:
Total memory 3809, used 654, free 2332
After having started Dolphin the scores are: used 687 and free 2283
Also enough, I guess.

The results of the sda1 and sda3 checks are in the 2 attachments. You do need to change the extension from txt into htm before opening. The forum website apparently does not allow htm files as attachments.

When using the live USB Dolphin was as fast as normal. So I had great hopes for when I would remove dolphinrc on the hard disk. (had is the keyword here)
The program opens fast but with an empty window, no files nor folders for 15 seconds. Then they appear with the preview working, so no more waiting time at this moment.

For the SSD I have enabled the fstrim.timer to trim the disk every week.

I have restored a Timeshift backup which was made on January 20 and it does the exact same thing. When I look at the software versions then and now I see no difference at all, same kernel, same Plasma, same Qt, everything. Is that okay?

Unfortunately, despite the many ideas you had, the winning number was not among them. I have no ideas what this could be,I sure hope you have some more.
Thank you for your help.

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 03 Jun 2020 17:32

Hello Ilu, in the attachments you find the 2 files you mentioned.
Attachments
journal.txt
(482 Bytes) Downloaded 8 times
xsession-errors.txt
(33.01 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

ilu

Postby ilu » 03 Jun 2020 22:18

There are some errors documented in both files. I'm looking for file-system-related things first.

Code: Select all

jun 03 18:59:50 solydxk blkmapd[285]: open pipe file /run/rpc_pipefs/nfs/blocklayout failed: No such file or directory
jun 03 18:59:51 solydxk nfsdcltrack[668]: Failed to init database: -13
jun 03 19:00:04 solydxk dhclient[1203]: Timeout too large reducing to: 2147483646 (TIME_MAX - 1)         
This very much looks like https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=850464 and https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=867067 but both should long be fixed. Please check whether you have one of the affected versions by looking at

dpkg -l nfs*
sudo systemctl status nfs-kernel-server.service
This could very well be relevant. That being said, a running nfs server is not default on SolydK, so why is it installed? Maybe misconfigured?

Also .xsession-errors has several errors . Remember I'm not using KDE. Some stuff about the menu which probably can be ignored. Power management timeout, also not important. Some QXcbConnection errors related to QT. But this here is strange: "UdevQt: unhandled device action "bind". Was there a smartphone attached?

Just for completeness please post

dpkg -l kde-runtime*
dpkg -l dolphin*
And try starting dolphin from terminal and check whether there is anything unusual happening there. You could also try strace -f -T -tt -o dolphinlog.txt dolphin.

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 04 Jun 2020 16:00

Hello ilu,
Thank you so much for helping me out here. Wow, where do you get all this knowledge?

I see in the laptop that nfs-common and nfs-server are at 1:1.3.4-2.5, so a bit newer than the version mentioned in the debian thread.

dpkg -l nfs*
Gevraagd=(U)onbekend/(I)nstalleren/ve(R)wijderen/(P)wissen/(H)ouden
| Status=Niet/Inst/Conf/Uitgep/halF-geconf/Halfgeïnst/verWacht-trig/Trig-bezig
|/ Fout?=(geen)/heRinst. nodig/ (Status,Fout: hoofdletter=ernstig)
||/ Naam              Versie       Architectuur Omschrijving
+++-=================-============-============-=============================================
un  nfs-client        <geen>       <geen>       (geen beschrijving beschikbaar)
ii  nfs-common        1:1.3.4-2.5  amd64        NFS support files common to client and server
ii  nfs-kernel-server 1:1.3.4-2.5  amd64        support for NFS kernel server
un  nfs-server        <geen>       <geen>       (geen beschrijving beschikbaar)

carry@solydxk-carry:~$ sudo systemctl status nfs-kernel-server.service
[sudo] wachtwoord voor carry: 
● nfs-server.service - NFS server and services
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/nfs-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (exited) since Thu 2020-06-04 16:45:35 CEST; 3min 40s ago
  Process: 670 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/exportfs -r (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 671 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd $RPCNFSDARGS (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 671 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

dpkg -l kde-runtime
||/ Naam           Versie        Architectuur Omschrijving
+++-==============-=============-============-================================================
ii  kde-runtime    4:17.08.3-2.1 amd64        runtime components from the official KDE release

carry@solydxk-carry:~$ dpkg -l dolphin
||/ Naam           Versie       Architectuur Omschrijving
+++-==============-============-============-=================================
ii  dolphin        4:18.08.0-1  amd64        file manager
Sorry for the Dutch texts above, laptop is using the Dutch language.

I use nfs-server here because the neighbors have 2 pc's, both using SolydK and they are connected by means of autofs, both with fixed IP-addresses. That way they can read and write data in the other PC as well as in their own.
autofs is configured as follows:

/etc/auto.master
/mnt/Desktop /etc/auto.shares --timeout=10 --ghost

/etc/auto.shares
Username -fstype=nfs,rw,soft,retry=0 192.168.x.x:/home/username
But this here is strange: "UdevQt: unhandled device action "bind". Was there a smartphone attached?
I know she does connect her smartphone now and then to copy pictures to the laptop. Can "bind" als be caused by the nfs connection to the other computer?

Starting and using dolphin in terminal gives me no errors or warnings at all.
Are you sure you want to have the output of the strace command? It's a 90MB file.
Or should I look for something special and copy that part of the file?

Now something different. I disabled autofs and rebooted. Guess what? Dolphin is now running at full speed.
Why didn't I do that earlier?
This means, either something is not okay with autofs, but probably more likely something is wrong with nfs, or the way I set it up.
Now I hope you can help me with that. I will try to find the files I changed to make nfs working, but I forgot which they are so I have to search.
Thanks again for all your help.

Again thank you for helping,

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 04 Jun 2020 16:49

Some nfs info:

/etc/exports
/home/carry 192.168.1.9(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)

/etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny:
all lines start with the '#' character, so they are simply text

ilu

Postby ilu » 04 Jun 2020 19:24

SolydForEver wrote:
04 Jun 2020 16:00
Wow, where do you get all this knowledge?
There's actually almost no knowledge involved. Just systematical debugging. And then some internet search.

I have never used nfs (I use ssh and sftp) so I can't really help you out there. Your version of nfs-kernel-server is affected by the second bug I posted https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=867067. This post has the fix but it involves manually editing a sql database: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... =867067#10. To do that you need basic sql knowledge. Obviously I haven't tested that.

But there are other problems with your setup and the way dolphin works which can't really be solved. Is baloo indexing running?
balooctl status should show you that information. Indexing on network shares will necessarily be slow. KDE tries to do a lot of things the user hasn't asked for in the background in order to optimize things and Dolphin is the place where that happens. Have you tried to completely disable those icons?

Do I understand correctly that Dolphin is always slow everywhere? As opposed to only when network shares are browsed? In order to find other solutions: What filesystems are used on the client and the other machine? NTFS? Is Windows involved?

Edit: I just noticed your very short autofs timeout. Archwiki has 60s and 120s are used here https://forum.manjaro.org/t/some-issues ... tofs/82285. Just an idea. This might be related to the timeout:
One of the advantages that autofs provides is that it reduces the duration that network filesystems are mounted - they're mounted as needed and autofs will unmount them soon after they're no longer being used.
I'm not sure how Dolphin will handle frequent remounting ... maybe trying to reindex everything?

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 05 Jun 2020 16:09

Hello ilu,

Thanks again.

Baloo is not enabled, so that can't be it. It's normally one of the first things I switch off when installing a new system.

I started the answer on the Debian webpage but as soon as I typed: nfsdcltrack init it reported back the command was unknown.
Synaptic also doesn't know this command/program. Is there some way to install it, is it part of something else maybe? I have no idea.

The short timeout for autofs is something I always do and it works great. But maybe this could be something so I now changed it to 60 seconds.
The client the laptop wants to reach is another SolydK system with the same setup, both PC's can see each other and the user s can read/write files on each others computer. No NTFS, no Windows.
Yesterday when I switched of autofs and rebooted, Dolphin was fast again. Now autofs is on and I must say it is still okay, but I changed the settings. Because I am in my house I connected the laptop to my wifi and let it connect to my laptop which it does. Pictograms on folders appear not instantly, but it never does for a network drive, but still fast.
So it looks as if something with the other neighbors computer is going on.

One other thing is, I just found that out, she uses a program called CEWE Photoservice and that doesn't want to start now. As soon as the main screen appears it is gone again. Lots of messages, especially about qtwebengine, when started in terminal:
Attribute Qt::AA_ShareOpenGLContexts must be set before QCoreApplication is created.
Attribute Qt::AA_EnableHighDpiScaling must be set before QCoreApplication is created.
"/home/carry/.mcf/tmp"
"/home/carry/.mcf/tmp/hps3222165558_5873_SafeRegion 6"
"/home/carry/.mcf/tmp/onlineProjects"
"/home/carry/.mcf/tmp/QtWebEngine"
"/home/carry/.mcf/tmp/QtWebEngine/Cache"
"/home/carry/.mcf/tmp/QtWebEngine/Cache/blob_storage"
"/home/carry/.mcf/tmp/QtWebEngine/Cache/blob_storage/5fcf1024-8f94-4eee-bf3b-a0b1de969e0f"
"/home/carry/.mcf/tmp/QtWebEngine/Cache/GPUCache"
I (2020-06-05T17:42:23.074) [void CWLogMessageHandler::writeLogHeader() 248] ==> Compiled: Mar 6 2020 08:40:22 <==
[0605/174223.599333:WARNING:resource_bundle_qt.cpp(116)] locale_file_path.empty() for locale
Qt WebEngine ICU data not found at /home/carry/CEWE Fotoservice/CEWE Fotoservice/resources_qt/resources. Trying parent directory...
Installed Qt WebEngine locales directory not found at location /home/carry/CEWE Fotoservice/CEWE Fotoservice/translations/qtwebengine_locales. Trying application directory...
Qt WebEngine locales directory not found at location /home/carry/CEWE Fotoservice/CEWE Fotoservice/qtwebengine_locales. Trying fallback directory... Translations MAY NOT not be correct.
Path override failed for key ui::DIR_LOCALES and path '/home/carry/.QtWebEngineProcess'
Qt WebEngine resources not found at /home/carry/CEWE Fotoservice/CEWE Fotoservice/resources_qt/resources. Trying parent directory...
[0605/174223.624785:WARNING:resource_bundle_qt.cpp(116)] locale_file_path.empty() for locale
nouveau: kernel rejected pushbuf: Bestand of map bestaat niet
nouveau: ch10: krec 0 pushes 0 bufs 2 relocs 0
nouveau: ch10: buf 00000000 00000002 00000004 00000004 00000000
nouveau: ch10: buf 00000001 00000006 00000004 00000000 00000004
nouveau: kernel rejected pushbuf: Bestand of map bestaat niet
nouveau: ch10: krec 0 pushes 0 bufs 2 relocs 0
nouveau: ch10: buf 00000000 00000002 00000004 00000004 00000000
nouveau: ch10: buf 00000001 00000006 00000004 00000000 00000004
free(): double free detected in tcache 2
malloc_consolidate(): invalid chunk size
If I know things would be good when I do a complete clean re-install then I would do so, but I don't know that. It could all well be wasting a lot of time and ending up with the same result.

ilu

Postby ilu » 06 Jun 2020 10:08

Regarding the fix from that debian bug report: I can't help you there. Also I would not follow that direction if you don't understand precisely what you are doing.

Also if everything works reasonably fast in your network I would shift my attention to
1. the other computer
2. your neighbours network

Regarding CEWE: Please ask for help in their customer forum: https://www.cewe-community.com/forum/. They support Linux and I think I have seen that error before. (Try our forum search.) If you find the solution please post it here.

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 06 Jun 2020 13:26

Hi ilu,

You are totally right, I have had this problem with Cewe in the past. It turns out the program needs the Nvidia driver instead of the Nouveau driver. Why it worked when I setup this laptop is beyond me, but now it didn't. After having installed the Nvidia driver it works fine. I do have contact with the CEWE support team, although they let me wait for several days now already. I did find the solution here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7743&p=71642&hilit=cewe#p71642 Turns out I already installed that driver back then, no idea why it wasn't installed now.
It slowly looks like the worst is behind me: Dolphin is still pretty slow when it comes down to making contact with the other PC, but that's not Dolphins cause: I sit here at home with her laptop and 2 houses further down the road is his desktop and their wifi station so the signal is terrible.
When I connect to my wifi and make contact to my laptop it is okay.
I will now continue in solving some other small issues, but I guess I can close this thread now.
Ilu and also Arjen thank you both very much for the help. As it is with this laptop it is always caused by Cewe. I wish my neighbor would not use that software anymore, but she likes the photoalbums she can create with them after yet another holiday.

Thanks again, and bye.

Return to “Software”