[Request] Ubuntuone

Hutch

[Request] Ubuntuone

Postby Hutch » 26 Mar 2014 21:08

I have been using Ubuntuone storeage to sync data between home and work for a few years now and in every distro I have been able to install ubuntuone-client including non ubuntu-based distros but it's not in the Solyd repo which means using the web version which doesn't automatically sync my ubuntuone folder. Not a big issue but would be good for me.

zerozero

Re: [Request] Ubuntuone

Postby zerozero » 02 Apr 2014 22:43

hi Hutch
was never easy to run U1 in debian but many moons ago we had a window of opportunity;
it didn't last long and soon was broken beyond repair.

today i saw this Ubuntu One File & Music Services Axed :shock:
[if canonical is ditching U1...]
bliss of ignorance

Longshot

Postby Longshot » 04 Apr 2014 16:24

I read that Ubuntu One was going down as well, you need to get everything out of U1. I use Wuala on my SolydX in stall and it works great, you get 5 gigs of of free space just like in U1 and I think it looks cleaner and its easier to use than U1. You can download it at www.wuala.com

Hutch

Postby Hutch » 04 Apr 2014 17:13

Yup U1 closure was announced on OMG Ubuntu the day after I posted this. Ah well. I'll try your wuala. Thanks longshot.

Longshot

Postby Longshot » 04 Apr 2014 23:36

No prob, glad to help.

patzy

Postby patzy » 05 Apr 2014 09:24

Hutch wrote:Yup U1 closure was announced on OMG Ubuntu the day after I posted this. Ah well. I'll try your wuala. Thanks longshot.
I can reccommend wuala as well. Been using it for over a year now with no troubles.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 11 Apr 2014 15:04

I just got this in my email today:
To: [masked]@[masked]
Subject: Ubuntu One file services

Hi,

We are writing to you to notify you that we will be shutting down the Ubuntu One file services, effective 1 June 2014. This email gives information about the closure and what you should expect during the shutdown process.

As of today, it will no longer be possible to purchase storage or music from the Ubuntu One store. The Ubuntu One file services apps in the Ubuntu, Google, and Apple stores will be updated appropriately.

As always, your content belongs to you. You can simply download your files onto your PC or an external hard drive. While the service will stop as of 1 June, you will have an additional two months (until 31 July 2014) to collect all of your content. After that date, all remaining content will be deleted.

If you have an active annual subscription, the unused portion of your fees will be refunded. The refund amount will be calculated from today's announcement.

We know you have come to rely on Ubuntu One, and we apologise for the inconvenience this closure may cause. We've always been inspired by the support, feedback and enthusiasm of our users and want to thank you for the support you've shown for Ubuntu One. We hope that you'll continue to support us as together we bring a revolutionary experience to new devices.

The Ubuntu One team
I never used Ubuntu One but I think I had an account there at some point. It kinda surprised me. I don't know what to recommend for cloud backup. Depends on your needs, really. I use Google Drive but I don't have much to back up.

Return to “Community Packages Requests”