Better support of dual (or more) monitors

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.
Deleted User 646

Better support of dual (or more) monitors

Postby Deleted User 646 » 29 Aug 2013 14:27

Hey,

i have just tried SolydX but i didn't like dual monitor support at all. There is no options to set how will be second monitor used - duplicated or just in left/right. Of course it is possible to do so with scripts but it is not user-friendly as it requires some skills. Another note that dual screen directly messes background as it cuts somewhere and leaves blank (saw few graphics glitches). Also there is no option to control screen brightness.

I think these features would bring me back using this OS.

realityDroid

Re: Better support of dual (or more) monitors

Postby realityDroid » 29 Aug 2013 19:37

SiriusWhite wrote:Hey,

i have just tried SolydX but i didn't like dual monitor support at all. There is no options to set how will be second monitor used - duplicated or just in left/right. Of course it is possible to do so with scripts but it is not user-friendly as it requires some skills. Another note that dual screen directly messes background as it cuts somewhere and leaves blank (saw few graphics glitches). Also there is no option to control screen brightness.

Hi SiriusWhite. It may help to know what particular graphics card you are using in your computer.

If you don't know, then just post the output of the below command into the terminal.

Code: Select all

lspci -v -s `lspci | awk '/VGA/{print $1}'`
Read my full signature, it's too long for this forum:

http://realitydroid.net/Signature.txt

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 29 Aug 2013 22:45

In SolydX,
  1. Open Settings Manager
  2. Select Settings Editor
  3. In Settings Editor, select displays
  4. Set appropriate values for your monitors. I have two monitors (DVI-I_2, DVI-I-3). DVI-I-2 is my primary monitor. DVI-I-3 is to the right of -2.
    • On -2, Primary is checked to indicate that this is my primary monitor
    • On -3, Position > X, 1600 sets my right monitor to the right of my left monitor. Hmmmm ..... D'oh. I guess I could set this to, for example, 800 and have the monitors over-lap. Set this to 0 (zero, which is the default) and you have one image on two monitors.
SettingsEditorScreenShot.png
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 30 Aug 2013 01:25

I use xrandr and set the option to automatically run when I log in using the session manager.
-Hinto

Deleted User 646

Postby Deleted User 646 » 30 Aug 2013 06:34

@realityDroid, I'm using Intel graphics chipset (1st Intel i3 generation).

@ScottQuier, thanks, this is what i looked for. By the way, does the settings save or it needs to be adjusted everytime?

@Hinto, basicly i have had done this too but this didn't help with graphic glitches.

About those glitches. It just scraps out of nowhere third of etc. right side and 1/5 of bottom desktop background. In the other monition i can see half background placed in left top corner and placed another background on it more in left (it had diffirent colours). I didn't take screenshot and at the moment i can't show it. This happened when i did this script (tried with HDMI port):

xrandr --output HDMI1 --output VGA1 --right-of LVDS1
Moving windows thought both screens worked as it should as i remember.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 30 Aug 2013 06:46

I set it once and it sticks.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 30 Aug 2013 11:14

@SiriusWhite That would be your video driver, not xrandr.
-Hinto

Litux1516

Postby Litux1516 » 13 Oct 2013 10:10

I'll would like to have something (application) that when you plug and external monitor (HDMI/VGA) a window pops up and you can select the display layout.
Laptop Toshiba Satellite P850-30W
Quad core Intel Core i7-3610QM @ 2.9GHz - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD Vertex 4
Card-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
Card-2: NVIDIA GK107M [GeForce GT 640M]
SolydK 64 Production

bodam

Postby bodam » 15 Oct 2013 19:02

SiriusWhite wrote:Hey,

I second this basic request. My biggest complaint about using Linux at work is that doing presentations is a pain. With Windows you plug into the projector and it usually works. With Linux you have to do more work or run scripts to expand/contract the number of monitors. If this was more user friendly, it would be a tremendous new feature for me.
David Inglehart

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 15 Oct 2013 20:50

and you have 2 posts down the one you quoted a nice&easy GUI to set-up dual display ;)
bliss of ignorance

gazza

Postby gazza » 31 Oct 2013 22:15

My issue is this. I have monitor A on all day, monitor B (to the right of A) is switched on in the afternoon or night when I feel like watching a video. On a different OS using gnome, when I switched monitor B on, I had to click on monitor B in the monitors app and select 'on' and apply. No issue, no fuss.

I have tried ScottQuier's suggestion setting the X 1920 so it's to the right. Rebooted and the setting was saved, Power on monitor B and then used the monitor app to turn it on, and I'm back to a duplicate. Looked in the settings and the X was reset back to 0.

I can have a side by side setup working. I need to use both the monitors app and nvidia-settings. Power monitor B on, Monitors app to turn the monitor on and nvidia-settings to move the monitor to the side. A lot of messing about imho. As root I have saved the side by side settings in nvidia-settings, but it doesn't stick, every time I turn the monitor on in the monitors app, it resets the second monitor back to 0 position.

I've never used xrandr succesfully over the years. But I'll give it a shot and hope for a one click solution to this issue.

So basically I'm agreeing with SiriusWhite the Monitors app in xfce needs work in order to achieve basic standards that normal users expect.

[edit] just did an xrandr test, woohoo, my first ever success with xrandr. Thank you hinto for the suggestion, if you'd never written it, I would not have tried :)

if anyone is interested in a simple popup on/off switch using xrandr.
http://pastebin.com/rsv74Ed9
Edit it with your xrandr command for on and off. Make it exicutable (obviously). Add it to your panel or desktop. It's a simple popup, nothing fancy. I supose I could do it fancier, but I'm lazy ;)
Don't miss the donut by looking through the hole.

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 01 Nov 2013 14:53

I put this in my Session and Startup for XFCE
Name: Dual-monitors XFCE
Command: xrandr --output VGA1 --left-of HDMI1

VGA1 and HDMI is obtained by running xrandr from the command line. It will tell you what the device names are.
-Hinto

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Nov 2013 16:28

I don't have dual monitors. So, I have no way of testing this.

I found this while googling:

# External output may be "VGA" or "VGA-0" or "DVI-0" or "TMDS-1"
EXTERNAL_OUTPUT="VGA-0"
INTERNAL_OUTPUT="LVDS"
# EXTERNAL_LOCATION may be one of: left, right, above, or below
EXTERNAL_LOCATION="left"

case "$EXTERNAL_LOCATION" in
       left|LEFT)
               EXTERNAL_LOCATION="--left-of $INTERNAL_OUTPUT"
               ;;
       right|RIGHT)
               EXTERNAL_LOCATION="--right-of $INTERNAL_OUTPUT"
               ;;
       top|TOP|above|ABOVE)
               EXTERNAL_LOCATION="--above $INTERNAL_OUTPUT"
               ;;
       bottom|BOTTOM|below|BELOW)
               EXTERNAL_LOCATION="--below $INTERNAL_OUTPUT"
               ;;
       *)
               EXTERNAL_LOCATION="--left-of $INTERNAL_OUTPUT"
               ;;
esac

xrandr |grep $EXTERNAL_OUTPUT | grep " connected "
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
    xrandr --output $INTERNAL_OUTPUT --auto --output $EXTERNAL_OUTPUT --auto $EXTERNAL_LOCATION
    # Alternative command in case of trouble:
    # (sleep 2; xrandr --output $INTERNAL_OUTPUT --auto --output $EXTERNAL_OUTPUT --auto $EXTERNAL_LOCATION) &
else
    xrandr --output $INTERNAL_OUTPUT --auto --output $EXTERNAL_OUTPUT --off
fi
It looks like a start.

xrandr | grep ' connected' | cut -d' ' -f 1
would give you the screen names.

In fact, this should be run as a daemon. So, that it finds a second monitor when it's plugged in.
Usually this is developed in C++.

Like I said, I don't have the means to develop something for this, but maybe there's somebody out there with the skills and the hardware to do it.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 01 Nov 2013 16:36

Here's my output from xrandr

xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 3840 x 1080, maximum 8192 x 8192
VGA1 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 510mm x 287mm
   1920x1080      60.0*+
   1280x1024      75.0     60.0  
   1152x864       75.0  
   1024x768       75.1     60.0  
   800x600        75.0     60.3  
   640x480        75.0     60.0  
   720x400        70.1  
HDMI1 connected 1920x1080+1920+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 510mm x 287mm
   1920x1080      60.0*+
   1280x1024      75.0     60.0  
   1152x864       75.0  
   1024x768       75.1     60.0  
   800x600        75.0     60.3  
   640x480        75.0     60.0  
   720x400        70.1  
DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
This showed I had VGA1 and HDMI1 connected.

I then just used that info to configure as session command using the GUI application that controls Session and Startup for XFCE

Name: Dual-monitors XFCE
Command: xrandr --output VGA1 --left-of HDMI1

It took about 1 minute. No "magic" required ;)

-H

Bonie

Postby Bonie » 28 Dec 2013 14:27

The duall monitor problem was mine MAIN reason i cant use any linux distro on mine laptop.Samtimes im pluggign in vga external..samtimes HDMI and simly linux cant handle the changes flawless as windows doing..yeh ofc if you plug in one monitor and confugurit then it is workign but if you do like me going around and pluggign in difrent devices. ( portable mini projectors, TV. projector, monitor) linux is just to much pain in the butt, samtimes i can even mirror the desktop more then 640 res.
Windows otherhand like you sad handling it like a dream :=)
Aggre it is a major issue for many people . and the current salution for linux is just crap :=(

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 28 Dec 2013 19:37

KDE (and Gnome) handles it just fine. It's a product of the Window Manager (or Desktop Environment) not Linux.
-H

Bonie

Postby Bonie » 28 Dec 2013 21:00

Sadly not true coud not find any KDE or gnome so far which coud handle the swiches. tryed even solydk (even a while ago 4 mounts or so )
Dont be offendet it is not im dont want use linux .all other computers of mien it is linux installed but sadly the laptop im need for travel staying on windows..which im hate realy coud use linux insead :=(

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 28 Dec 2013 22:21

Bonie wrote:Sadly not true coud not find any KDE or gnome so far which coud handle the swiches. tryed even solydk (even a while ago 4 mounts or so )
Dont be offendet it is not im dont want use linux .all other computers of mien it is linux installed but sadly the laptop im need for travel staying on windows..which im hate realy coud use linux insead :=(
Yep understandable as when Windows is needed it's Needed! Simple as that.

That is why I dual boot for when I need Win7 then I can use if for something specific. Then most of the time boot into Linux to fulfill the rest of my needs. Also traveling or relying on critical business needs. Means I have two separate OS'es installed so not left without a workable system if something gets borked by me or upgrades at a critical moment.
Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 28 Dec 2013 23:27

Not offended.
There's a "display" application in the system settings in KDE and Gnome where it discovers your connected monitors, etc. I do it all the time with my big screen tv.
-H

Bonie

Postby Bonie » 29 Dec 2013 11:47

Yes im now about discover :=) Like im sad the major problem when you goign around and pluggign in diff monitors ,
It is just not saving properly. and samtimes i cant even higher then 640 if im try to clone the monitor.
It is upp and down.. och im forgot to mention all above mine laptop is a LOVED optimus solution :=)
Im happy ubuntu gonna trow awey this old xorg-thingy salution . It is just getting old for modern times that what im feeling.
In short output video signals seam the biggest problem for all .And trust me im now about all the problems linux have on hdmi -vga external monitors out. trust me im readet hundret og pages (sadly)
other big problem is on mine gaming computer.which has raid0 2ssd for runnign windows .only 1 linux coud se correct as 1 hardrive (opensuse) which i dont like im want debian-ubuntu compability. adn many mine gaming frinnds using the raid0 motherbord easy salution to speed upp :=) but that other discussion..

Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”