Naming scheme for DVD images.

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.
dirigible

Naming scheme for DVD images.

Postby dirigible » 13 Jun 2013 10:02

I see the naming scheme for DVD images does not include a date or version number.
Example “solydk64_latest.iso”.
Wouldn't it be better to include the release date so that a person downloading the image or purchasing a DVD knows which version they're getting?
This matters for users who are stuck with expensive data plans.
SolydK 64bit Home Edition.

cwwgateway

Re: Naming scheme for DVD images.

Postby cwwgateway » 13 Jun 2013 10:57

This is only true for the first ISOs (released in the beginning of March). The April ISOs were (for example) solydx32_201304.iso. The SolydK BO ISO I happen to have downloaded is solydkbo_201305_b1.iso (b1 for Beta 1). This name scheming should continue with the June ISOs (so solydx32_201306.iso).
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 13 Jun 2013 11:06

Sorry, cww, that is not entirely true.
If you download from the product pages, your iso will have no date, only _latest.iso in its name.

This is by choice: If anyone on his/her blog, article, or site point the these "latest" iso's, I know they always have the latest.
If I would have chosen to include the date in the name, and people would link to that, they'd only have the latest version until a new version comes.

on4aa has already suggested to add the version in the product page with the next iso. That I can do...a compromise.

Those who purchase a DVD have no choice but to trust the professionalism of that service provider, or ask which version they have before you purchase the DVD. Whatever the case is, buying the DVD never gives you the guarantee that you'll get the latest version.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

dirigible

Postby dirigible » 13 Jun 2013 12:09

Schoelje wrote:on4aa has already suggested to add the version in the product page with the next iso. That I can do...a compromise.
If the version is listed then we know what to ask for.
Sounds good. :D
SolydK 64bit Home Edition.

Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”