Hi from the UK

New to SolydXK? This is the place to say "Hello"
mikey777

Hi from the UK

Postby mikey777 » 19 Sep 2019 06:55

Hello to everyone, from here in the UK :D
I'm new to SolydXK, and yesterday installed the SolydX version 9 32-bit to an old dual-core Pentium laptop (dual core CPU @1.47GHz; 2GB RAM). First impressions are very good - it seems to be running very well.

Question: even though I'm using the stable release version, is it correct to say it's a rolling release?

kurotsugi

Re: Hi from the UK

Postby kurotsugi » 20 Sep 2019 03:46

I'd say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". if you're happy with your current system, it's better to stick with it. the rolling side of solydxk lies on the enthusiast version which is based on debian testing. the user experience is roughly same. the enthusiast version indeed got newer softwares and daily updates but it doesn't changed much. perhaps the only benefit of the enthusiast version is that it's relatively has lower maintenance works. by using the enthusiast, you'll incremental daily upgrades (vs huge upgrades for every 2 years on stable version).

ilu

Re: Hi from the UK

Postby ilu » 20 Sep 2019 16:12

You should stay with what you have. 32bit is on the decline. It will get regular updates during the regular Debian support period (depending whether you have SolydX9 or 10) but most probably there will not be a new version anymore.

I see you installed 9 - there is going to be a 10 version released soon (it's under https://downloads.solydxk.com/nightly/ and working well afaik) but that's it as far as 32bt is going to get. I can't even test 32bit anymore because I don't have appropriate hardware.

So maybe install SolydX10 nightly and if that works, stay with it for the next 4 years. After that, new hardware is the way to go.

Return to “Introduce yourself”