need to fix grub after installing another distro

New to SolydXK? This is the place to start.
Please check the other subforums to see if there's a more suitable place for your question.
phazon1

need to fix grub after installing another distro

Postby phazon1 » 01 Feb 2014 05:31

I just got a Dell Inspiron 1501 that had no operating system on it. I partitioned the hard drive and installed SolydX - installed perfectly.

Then I installed AVLinux on the next partition, and it installed a grub onto it's own partition, and that grub ignores the SolydX distro.

In short, I am not given the choice to boot in both or either, I am only "allowed" to boot in AVLinux.

Is there a way to re-do the grub so it will give both or either as a choice at start up?

Thanks

just

Re: need to fix grub after installing another distro

Postby just » 01 Feb 2014 07:26

i never used avlinux, so don't know it well enough to give any advice.

which grub avlinux uses, grub 1 (grub legacy) or grub 2? i'll suppose it uses grub2.

being a debian-based distro, it shoud have one or two commands (or both of them):

update-grub
update-grub2

the command scans hard disk(s) for any oses installed on it, and adds those found to grub.cfg file (if you use grub2).

try to run one of these commands, as root. it should find your solydx and include it in grub2 startup menu.

just two notes.

1. it's strange that solydx wasn't already included in avlinux's menu. any self-respecting distro runs update-grub(2) command automatically as one of the final steps during installation, so all pre-existing oses are ready to be used on the first launch of the freshly installed distro.

2. personally, i hate grub2. still don't understand, why it was introduced. why it exists. grub1 is far better than grub2. and it's extremely easy to manually add grub1 (grub legacy) to ANY grub2-only distro. grub1 permits to have a total control over the entire boot process. instead of grub2 madness.

in all grub2-only distros i just "kill" it, replacing it with grub1. solydxk included :-) . to have a clear and simple way to control the boot. instead of wasting time struggling against grub2.

sorry for the 2nd note. just run update-grub(2) in the os you're booting in by default. hope this helps.

just
2014-02-01

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 01 Feb 2014 13:28

If the technique offered up by just doesn't quite fill the bill, you might have to:
  • Boot into AVLinux
  • Run the commands in a terminal window:

Code: Select all

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    sudo update-grub
    sudo reboot

Note in the first command there is no partition number!

That "should" cause the grub to reinstall and then to see both installs.
Optional
  • Reboot the machine again, this time into SolydXK
  • In a terminal window

sudo update-grub
    sudo reboot

This last should be an easy way to put SolydXK as the first option in your grub boot list :)

ETA: You could fix it all in one shot using a LiveDVD/LiveUSB. This --> http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php? ... 697#p25691

ETA2: A little more hard-core --> http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=236#p2116
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

phazon1

Postby phazon1 » 01 Feb 2014 20:31

I wish that I had waited and read all of tis fabulous advice.

I may have to start everyting over from scratch.

I go this particulaer compunter just to learn with so it is not the end o the world.

I probably did somethign stupid. I wiped the second partition, and re-formated it ext4. This was the partition that AVLinux was on. AVLinux sem to have some real issues. For one thing, th terminal won't show any characters while you try to type into it...

So so now, the computer won't bot up in anyting form the hard drive. Everything is still there I am sure on the partition that I ha installed Solyd X onto. Just can't/won't boot from it.

So now I have 3, 20 gig partitions. The fisrt one has Solyd X on it. The other 2 are empty (I guess).

Is there a way to install a grub onto the Solyd X parition from a live DVD?

Hmmmm

phazon1

Postby phazon1 » 01 Feb 2014 21:01

so I followed this website and got it back to having the ability to boot from hard drive into SolydX. I just ignored the "mint" reference and followed this for the partition the SolydX is on

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/245

So for me the commands that I ran in the terminal window while booted with a live DVD of SolydX were al follows
since SolydX is on sda5...

sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
then

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda
worked perfectly

I don't think that I will putting AVLinux back onthe hard drive.

AVLinux came with a TON of really cool software, but SolydXK runs some of the program it came with better than it does.

I think that I will just find and install those prgrams onto SolydXK

kbd

Postby kbd » 02 Feb 2014 00:15

Recently reformatted a hard drive, split it into 3 partitions and a swap partition. After you install your first distro, say SolydK, if you install others simply don't install grub when you install them, that would keep SolydK, or whatever you choose, on top. You just need to update-grub on the first distro after you install the other distros.

kobros

Postby kobros » 02 Feb 2014 00:42

If you would decide to have another go at a multibooting setup (with AVLinux or another one), please note the following:

Boot into the newly installed distro. Go into a terminal and make sure you have root rights.
If the new distro did not install grub into the MBR during installation on HD, then you can afterwards (after a reboot) install its grub into the Master Boot record (MBR) of the disk you boot from (if you have 1 disk it will be /dev/sda).

grub-install /dev/sda
Now (still as root) update the bootmenu:

update-grub

reboot
The first command is the most important one....
If you would decide to give SolydK orSolydX control over the bootmenu, boot into SolydX/K and open the terminal there. Give the commands (as root):

install-grub /dev/sda

update-grub
to give control to SolydX/K. you will still be able to boot the AVLinux (or other distro) as well.
Linux User #312596.
Mepis/Debian/antiX/MX/Win7

phazon1

Postby phazon1 » 02 Feb 2014 01:57

Give the commands (as root)
I have seen this reminder off and on from many other users.

I used to know how to assure that I was proceding as "root".

In this case, how would I know if I was giving a command as root, and how would I set this up to make sure that I was?

Thanks for the good info.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 02 Feb 2014 02:15

phazon1 wrote:
Give the commands (as root)
I have seen this reminder off and on from many other users.

I used to know how to assure that I was proceding as "root".

In this case, how would I know if I was giving a command as root, and how would I set this up to make sure that I was?

Thanks for the good info.
The easiest way to know you are proceeding as root is that, in a terminal, your prompt will end with a hash-mark "#". As a "normal user, it will be a dollar sign "$".

To get there, it's just

$ su -
and enter your "sudo" password ... which is usually the same as your root password.

Another way to "proceed as root", in most cases (there are some exceptions) is to preface the command with "sudo" ... se my post above for examples.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

phazon1

Postby phazon1 » 02 Feb 2014 02:46

sweet! Thanks

Return to “Newbie Questions”