Why did you finally stay on Solyd stable ?

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
falke

Why did you finally stay on Solyd stable ?

Postby falke » 30 May 2015 09:20

hi, this is my experience :

first I choose Solydk semi-rolling because I searched an alternative to LMDE who hardly at this time made one update pack each six months :-(.

I was happy to found Solydxk who released an update pack each quarter and ran perfectly. Furthermore I found SolydK nice looking.

As SolydK abandonned the rolling principe I was very disappointed and wanted to throw it away. I was running other rolling distro on other computers (Arch) but that was parodoxally the point :

I discover , that over the year , following the permanent updates of thoses distro was really boring me for less user "appli-confort" furthermore I experienced regressions (bugs) that made it unconfortable (excuse me for my english).

So I finally found it cool to have an Debian stable-based (but not old-fashionned as Debian itself) nice-looking distro, that is stable. Finally ... there will be a new stable each 2 year and that's enough for me (TB and FF are in there latest versions ..)

I found also it is a great alternative to other debian based distro such Ubuntu (which developpement orientation policy I don't like or other indirect ubuntu based distro LM although it is nice too..)

Waiting for your experiences

grizzler

Re: Why did you finally stay on Solyd stable ?

Postby grizzler » 30 May 2015 10:06

Why did I stay on stable? I didn't! :lol:

Sorry. I couldn't resist. :mrgreen:

When you're using a stable distribution, you're faced with a really massive upgrade every couple of years (or every half year if you're on some kind of Ubuntu). I don't like that. It makes it very difficult to figure out what's going on if something goes wrong. Besides, they often don't have up to date versions of the applications I use most: Firefox and Thunderbird. That was particularly bad when I was using Ubuntu. So bad I even created my own private repository with Mozilla packages, which I 'built' from Mozilla's originals.

So after going from a distro with a totally useless update pack system (LMDE) to one with a more or less useable one (which was abandoned), I switched to Debian Testing, still with the SolydX branding. The updates come at a daily rate and if something goes wrong I usually have a clear view of the cause. Perfect.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

Zill

Postby Zill » 30 May 2015 20:02

I simply like the reliability that is inherent with stable releases that do not significantly change for the life of the distro. In the past, I used Ubuntu LTS releases which were good for a few years but with the advent of Unity, I moved on to LMDE and, later, SolydX. I was wary of the semi-rolling approach being based on Debian Testing but thought they were worth a try. The promise of no need to re-install was quite appealing although, to be fair, I have successfully upgraded Ubuntu releases in the past, although I know this has been problematic for some users who have littered their systems with ppas and other packages from dubious sources. ;-)

However, having seen the "high-maintenance" nature of systems based on Debian Testing, I was quite happy when both LMDE and SolydXK moved over to the Debian Stable base. I was also very pleased that this immediately reduced the heavy workload on both development teams as it was clear that keeping on top of Testing was a difficult task.

I also run CrunchBang other machines and, as this is based on Debian Wheezy (old-stable), these systems are rock-solid even if the software is rather dated now. Unfortunately, CrunchBang is no longer being developed and so I am looking forward to trying its spiritual successor, BunsenLabs, when the dust settles after its release. BL will be based on Jessie, the current Debian Stable.

So, its now stable for me all the way and, as I have no need for the "latest and greatest", I simply enjoy having systems I can rely on which just run without complaint day in, day out. :-)

uncle mark

Postby uncle mark » 30 May 2015 23:58

Zill wrote:So, its now stable for me all the way and, as I have no need for the "latest and greatest", I simply enjoy having systems I can rely on which just run without complaint day in, day out. :-)
Same here. My old Squeeze based MEPIS system was solid as a rock and only recently started showing its age as far as being able to get things accomplished -- and even a lot of that was due to my obstinate stance on not always upgrading to the latest and greatest programs.

But there's a point when you've got to move on. When I caught an SSD on sale, I decided it was time and am running SolydK from the new drive. All my other OSs are still at my disposal, but so far the transition has been smooth, once I beat Firefox and (especially) Thunderbird into submission.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 31 May 2015 06:27

neither do I :lol:

wayne

Postby wayne » 31 May 2015 13:22

kurotsugi wrote:
neither do I :lol:
hmm

same same

sid for a long time... :mrgreen:

but on two system that are used for banking they are based on Stable ;)

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 01 Jun 2015 22:23

uncle mark wrote:
Zill wrote:So, its now stable for me all the way and, as I have no need for the "latest and greatest", I simply enjoy having systems I can rely on which just run without complaint day in, day out. :-)
Same here. My old Squeeze based MEPIS system was solid as a rock....
Heh Heh, I still have a loptop running Mepis 11. I keep wanting to update it to SolydK but it runs fine so its low on the priority list. Its a testament to how well Stable works.

patzy

Postby patzy » 03 Jun 2015 08:22

I have Solyd stable on my main machine, and will be putting EE on my test one.

The best of both worlds. ;)

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 04 Jun 2015 22:09

With all the other things I need to do, I really don't have time to chase bugs like I used to. So I want something stable that actually works for what I need to do. So that's why I stuck to Stable. Of course that can change as things get older and new versions of software are more tested and have better features/bug fixes. but right now the latest stable is new enough that I don't think I need to worry about it getting 'stale' too soon.

Snap

Postby Snap » 05 Jun 2015 06:59

For my main system I want something that doesn't break and always works. I don't want downtimes or a lot of mantainance. I have other distros rolling side by side. If they break I always have my main one going. Aside of that, why SolydXK? Because I'm constantly testing other distros and the best and smoothest working implementation of Debian I've found so far is SolydXK.

And why Debian? Because it offers both the best stable and the best rolling options (with permission of PCLinuxOS which also uses the apt package manager). Rolling other kind of distros may be easier. It usually is, like those using pacman, which is amazingly easy to deal with, BTW. But they sometimes break. Put in other words: "roll until it breaks, then fix it". Debian works different: Roll and learn to avoid breakages. It takes some time to learn to deal with the tools and the situations, and it always implies way more attention, time and dedication for the system upgrades. The reward, it doesn't break. So, rolling Debian correctly involves a lot more time and dedication than most other distros out there, but it worths it.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

kbd

Postby kbd » 09 Jun 2015 18:54

I have machines that must never break, and some that I just want running and not to have to fix them. Stable is the best, with LTS Ubuntu/Mint a close second. I think one out of three distribution upgrades with Ubuntu worked for me. With Debian Stable to new Stable only one distribution upgrade failed for me out of 4-5 upgrades. Keep in mind Debian Stable is primarily aimed at servers which need to always work. Yet with some tweaking Stable can be very nice as a desktop.
Looking forward to installing Solydx new spin in the next few days.

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”