Dual monitor apps opening in wrong monitor

Questions specific to the KDE DE go here
Mick

Dual monitor apps opening in wrong monitor

Postby Mick » 11 Dec 2019 16:26

I have dual monitors with the left monitor designated as primary. Whenever I open an app, however, it appears in the right monitor. When I boot into SolydK, the login screen also appears in the right monitor. I've tried to resolve the problem with "System Settings" with no success. I've also searched for Debian solutions but haven't found any, just Ubuntu, and when I try to extrapolate those, the problem remains. Any suggestions on how to make apps appear in my primary monitor?

ilu

Re: Dual monitor apps opening in wrong monitor

Postby ilu » 11 Dec 2019 20:50

What tool did you use to set up dual monitors? I'm on SolydX and I'm using xrandr where I configured which one's which. It's mostly working .... usually apps open where I last closed them.

Mick

Postby Mick » 12 Dec 2019 13:50

Good morning, ilu.

I used Settings > System Settings > Displays, which I assume is a "front end" for xrandr. I have used it to set and re-set my primary monitor (i.e. the left-hand monitor) and now applications are appearing in the primary monitor. So, I'm making some progress.

My login screen, however, continues to come up in the wrong monitor (i.e. the right-hand monitor).

I can grab the bar across the top of the login screen (i.e. the right-hand monitor) and drag it to the primary monitor (i.e. the left-hand monitor) but it's not persistent. When I reboot, the login screen again appears on the wrong monitor. By the way, that bar looks like an Xfce kicker and I'm running KDE.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Mick

ilu

Postby ilu » 12 Dec 2019 18:39

My login screen comes up on the right monitor too but it follows my mouse. Moving the mouse left will move the login left.

Please check dpkg -l *randr* to see what is installed. I used to use arandr and that did not work. You could try calling xrandr instead of whatever the settings do.

No idea what a "Xfce kicker" is, sorry.

Mick

Postby Mick » 13 Dec 2019 20:24

With the apps coming up in the primary monitor and the login screen moving with the mouse pointer (as you pointed out), I'm satisfied. Thank you for your help, ilu. My apologies for the slang term "kicker". The appropriate name is "Panel" and with KDE, it's the bar across the bottom where the icons live. (On Xfce, it's usually across the top of the screen, isn't it?) I worked on a development project once and we called it the "kicker". I should call it by its correct name.

Mick

Return to “KDE specific (SolydK)”